Craft Corner

Crochet Help

Long ago I learned to make a basic chain stitch in crochet.  I find it soothing when I'm stressed.  Problem is I never learned anything beyond that, and I"m getting tired of just doing a strand.  Anyone have a good crochet tutorial that is super easy to understand?

Re: Crochet Help

• I love to crochet, and it's so fun and easy to make stuff for the baby.

First thing you want to learn is the basic single stitch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqca00LdmAc

Youtube is great for this stuff, especially as you can pause it and watch again.

Just some general instructions while you're learning:
    Chain for as wide as you want your blanket/scarf/whatever to be, then start your single crochet stitch (abbreviated as sc in patterns, which I rarely use. I prefer to follow videos)

After learning the single crochet, you may want to look up:
    Double crochet
    Changing color
    Half-double crochet
    Zig-zag/chevron crochet (these are all relatively simple and great ways for a beginner to get some variety in)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ditto YouTube.  Lots to choose from.  If one tutorial doesn't make sense, there's lots more you can check out.

Also, look at your local library.  Mine has quite a few craft books.

Local yarn shop might have classes.

My friend is a member of a Spinning guild.  Most of them knit or crochet their hand spun yarn.  Is there such a thing as a crochet guild?

• Great advice given by PP re: You Tube. This is what I learned from at first and you can make a ton of stuff with some really basic stitches. Despite now knowing a lot more stitches, some of my best go to patterns are done completely in single crochet (sc) or double crochet (dc). 
    TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was in the same boat, and also find crocheting to be extremely relaxing. I found a beginner hat pattern, then watched tutorials on YouTube to learn the stitches. Needed to make the pattern. Now I can make several types of hats, patterned afghans, etc. and it's awesome!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My favorite online tutorials are from Teresa Richardson, the Crochet Geek.

• Thank you all!  I will be You Tubing tonight. =)

• I taught myself to crochet using this free series of video lessons: 

http://www.craftyminx.com/crochet-school/

Super clear and super helpful! It takes you all the way up to things like granny squares, and since there's a table of contents you can just start wherever you need to. :) 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • image TobieRose:

I taught myself to crochet using this free series of video lessons: 

http://www.craftyminx.com/crochet-school/

Super clear and super helpful! It takes you all the way up to things like granny squares, and since there's a table of contents you can just start wherever you need to. :) 

Someone on this board referred me to CraftyMinx Crochet school. Great tutuorials! I learned to crochet in less than a week (and that's with a 4 year old and 1 year old in the house). The tutorial videos are split into 20 lessons (I think), but the videos are all very short. She covers everything too, front post/back post stitches, how to read stitches, how to read patterns, etc. Then I went on ravelry.com and found TONS of free patterns.