October 2013 Moms

Petdoc or Huntjul

My husband and I recently acquired a mini dachshund from a family here on base. We've had her for about 2 weeks. She is intact unfortunately. And so is my male jack russell. But in no way shape or form have they tried to do the deed. My jack practically hates her. Before we got her, the family said she had her heat. My concern is that they have a male dog that was intact. I don't know if they were separated. But I can tell you that she has been acting funny. She is eating through our supply of dogfood. Her nipples have changed color and elongated. And the boobs themselves are hanging low and somewhat hard. Is there a possibility she is pregnant?

Pregnancy%20ticker

Married since September 12th 2011. DH:26 Me:21 +HPT#1: 09/09/2012 EDD: 05/15/2013 MMC: 10/06/2012
+HPT#2: 01/27/2013 EDD: 10/03/2013 ITS A BOY!!!

Re: Petdoc or Huntjul

• I had a Basset Hound that got pregnant and that stuff did happen to here however she had a complete personality change too, she got really aggressive. The only way to know 100% would be to take her to the vet.
    imageimageimage
      imageimage
    image   image
  • Simple solution take her to the vet.

• What's up with all the unfixed dogs?
    SQUIRREL!!!

• layalilayali
    250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 1000 Comments

I can't help it, this thread reminds me of the "could I be pregnant" posts on the TTC boards.... Embarrassed

Maddy, I hope everything turns out OK and that her behavior is just from settling into the new environment.

imageWolfpack Oct 13 photo wolfpack_zpsb8f40fa9.jpg
  • Have her pee on a pregnancy test..... that should tell ya ;)

What... no?

Hah, it might work. That's funny :)

• image MaddyV0911:
    My husband and I recently acquired a mini dachshund from a family here on base. We've had her for about 2 weeks. She is intact unfortunately. And so is my male jack russell. But in no way shape or form have they tried to do the deed. My jack practically hates her. Before we got her, the family said she had her heat. My concern is that they have a male dog that was intact. I don't know if they were separated. But I can tell you that she has been acting funny. She is eating through our supply of dogfood. Her nipples have changed color and elongated. And the boobs themselves are hanging low and somewhat hard. Is there a possibility she is pregnant?

If she is intact, the previous owner reported that she was in heat, and the previous owner had an intact male dog, I would assume that she is pregnant.  Regardless, if she is not pregnant now, the next time she comes back into heat, your male dog will certainly take care of that.

Because of the chance/probability that she is already pregnant, a prompt vet visit to discuss course of action would be ideal.  You can either let her have the puppies or, if it is still early pregnancy, you can have them spay her and abort the fetuses.  If the veterinarian determines that she is late in pregnancy, he/she may advise against the spay/abort and have you wait until after she has weaned the puppies to do the spay.  Either way, unless you have a plan to utilize her for breeding (which sounds inadvisable from the situation you are describing), she needs to be spayed to prevent further unwanted pregnancy and to protect her health by reducing her risk of mammary cancer and uterine infection going forward.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • My minidaschaund actually had a false pregnancy with her first heat cycle then after that stopped she ran into a 2nd cycle right away! So I waited till that was over then got her spayed. I got her at 8 months from her previous owners, but she was the only dog so it was more obvious...
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• image huntjul:

image MaddyV0911:

If she is intact, the previous owner reported that she was in heat, and the previous owner had an intact male dog, I would assume that she is pregnant.  Regardless, if she is not pregnant now, the next time she comes back into heat, your male dog will certainly take care of that.

Because of the chance/probability that she is already pregnant, a prompt vet visit to discuss course of action would be ideal.  You can either let her have the puppies or, if it is still early pregnancy, you can have them spay her and abort the fetuses.  If the veterinarian determines that she is late in pregnancy, he/she may advise against the spay/abort and have you wait until after she has weaned the puppies to do the spay.  Either way, unless you have a plan to utilize her for breeding (which sounds inadvisable from the situation you are describing), she needs to be spayed to prevent further unwanted pregnancy and to protect her health by reducing her risk of mammary cancer and uterine infection going forward.

Yes Yes

I have nothing intelligent to add to the discussion, so I will just add a gif for good measure. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic