Health & Exercise
Options

Dinner etiquette

Tonight we are getting together with DHs brother's family. The are ordering pizza my plan was to eat before we go. Tomorrow we have dinner plans at his sister's, who just informed me she is making stuffed shells. I have been following a Paleo diet for the last 3 months. No cheating, no carbs, bread, pizza, etc. Tonight is very casual so I'm not concerned there, but tomorrow I feel like I am going to be rude if I don't eat the stuffed shells. This probably sounds pathetic, and you're most likely thinking eat it! However, I really have become a carbophob. Any suggestions?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Dinner etiquette

• Options
    Moderation is key in your long term, so eating a shell or two wouldn't sabotage your efforts for the last 3 months, but I know where you're coming from and I've been there, too. With that said, it might be worth calling your SIL to let her know what you're doing and what your goals are. You can offer to bring a side dish or some fresh veggies for munching to avoid having her feel like she needs to make anything different specifically for you. It's easier to chat with her about it today than it will be if you say something when you arrive. She's working to prepare something for everyone, and she might want to know now so she can prepare if not physically, mentally, for a guest who doesn't want the main dish. I know that's how my MIL is, so I'm just going based on that. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    She is the pickiest eater and special orders at events or doesn't eat things, so I should feel bad but I do. Especially I really don't have any weight to lose I'm just afraid if I eat pasta it won't agree with me at this point.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do paleo too. If it were me, I would make some meatballs to go with the shells (enough to share). I would then load up on salad (I'm assuming there will be salad or some other veggie), grab a few meatballs, and then top them with the sauce from the shells. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagejulie1408:
    I do paleo too. If it were me, I would make some meatballs to go with the shells (enough to share). I would then load up on salad (I'm assuming there will be salad or some other veggie), grab a few meatballs, and then top them with the sauce from the shells. 

Great idea! I would also let her know you'll be bringing something. My MIL would be offended if I brought food to her house for a meal if she didn't know in advance (I'm not sure how common this is, but it's worth saying). 

• Options

Almost four years ago I had surgery and I had a very specific diet for about the next two years.  It was super hard for me to eat dinner with friends and family when I wasn't the one cooking or controlling what was being made. 

I just got to the point where I would bring my own little meal to eat, and I would always give them a heads up about ahead of time.  I would just say, "I have a pretty specific diet I have to stick to and I don't want to burden you with try to stick within that, so please make whatever it you want but I hope you don't that I will bring my own little meal to eat."  I never had anyone get upset with me.  

Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"