May 2013 Moms

Breast feeding milestones

I tried breast feeding with both of my girls. I made it 6 weeks with my first and stopped because I had my gall bladder removed. It was to hard for my parents and I to keep up being in and out of the hospital. Then I made it all of about 2 weeks with my second because I couldn't keep up to her demands for feeding and a 20 month old.

I am so proud of myself for making it to the 2 month mark and even being able to get a small amount put away in the freezer. I'm also trying to wean from the formula and get on all breast milk but I'm not opposed to keeping it up.

Anyone else have good milestones you never thought you would hit or things you didn't think you would be able to stick with.

Re: Breast feeding milestones

• I'm psyched that I'm still sticking with it.  We had a lot of trouble at first, but it is getting a little easier.  We're still working on getting LO to be a less lazy eater though! 
     Sweet A born 5/13/13
  • I gave up EPing for my 1st at 4 months and nursed my 2nd for 22. I came so close to giving up with this guy so many times. At 3 weeks my nipples were so sore and cracked, but I wanted to stick it out to 6 weeks and I didn't want to shell out money for Alimentum so I stuck it out and contacted a different LC than the one I saw. She diagnosed him with tongue tie. Got it clipped at 5 weeks, so or was like starting over. Still wanted to quit, but then I found out I had a breast abscess. Didn't want to complicate recovery from that by trying to wean, so I stuck it out with the intention of quitting once recovered. I'm still recovering, but in the last few weeks, things have clicked and I think I'm in this for the long haul.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Congrats!!

I started supplementing at 4 days old with DS1 due to weight loss. I've made it 2.5 months with DS2 and EBF and he's outweighing his big brother at this age!! Every day I EBF is a personal victory for me :
    [CENTER]
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

My BFP Chart
    [/CENTER]
  • At one week I never thought I could make it to 2 weeks. Then a 2 weeks I was like ok lets just make it to a month. Now at 9 weeks, I have no plans of stopping anytime soon! 
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Great job, Momma! I am actually feeling really guilty but also celebrating a little bit that we started supplementing with formula this week for just one feeding. I go back to work Monday and am worried I won't be able to pump enough with my work schedule so I wanted to make sure he was acclimated to formula in case we need it.

He has been taking it like a champ, which puts my mind at ease that he will not be unhappy and go without. Also it is a huge relief when I need to go out on a weekend I can bring a formula bottle instead of a BM bottle and not have to use my stash as much. But of course I am feeling hugely guilty and like a terrible mother. I know deep down that's dumb, but I really wanted to EBF for 8 months.

image imageimage

• I've been pumping now for almost 8 weeks, and have about 3 weeks worth of milk in the freezer. I'm starting to drop pumps now, but I should have enough to give LO breastmilk until I go back to work, even if I stop pumping, so that makes me happy :)

(not that there's anything wrong with formula - I'm just glad I haven't had to spend money on it yet!) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image beaubecca:
    Great job, Momma! I am actually feeling really guilty but also celebrating a little bit that we started supplementing with formula this week for just one feeding. I go back to work Monday and am worried I won't be able to pump enough with my work schedule so I wanted to make sure he was acclimated to formula in case we need it. He has been taking it like a champ, which puts my mind at ease that he will not be unhappy and go without. Also it is a huge relief when I need to go out on a weekend I can bring a formula bottle instead of a BM bottle and not have to use my stash as much. But of course I am feeling hugely guilty and like a terrible mother. I know deep down that's dumb, but I really wanted to EBF for 8 months.

I'm going to have to bring this up to the pedi Monday. I had a week where me and the pump finally got along great. But we took a long trip this last weekend and I had to get into the stash to have some bottles just in case. On the pumps to replace those feedings, and anytime I've tried to pump since, I'm only getting watery drops, with the electric and manual. I know LO is pulling it because I can hear him swallow, see it dribble out the mouth, and wet diapers are fine. I'm so nervous because I'm afraid formula will stretch his belly and then he really won't be full. Hopefully I can figure out where I've gone wrong with these pumps, and stock back up.

Congrats OP! That's fantastic! My goals are in 6 week increments. I'm a little weird and don't like or want to stop things on halves, like at 18 weeks for example.So it's my motivation to just keep going.

Eta clarification
  • For me, everyday that I am able to EBF is a day I never expected/counted on being able to do. :) 

IMG_5977lb
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Just the fact that I m still breastfeeding. There have been bumps in the road, and there have been a few times I was ready to throw in the towel, but we are still going at it.

• Every day that I get to BF is a milestone for me. We started out with low supply and S lost quite a bit of weight so we had to supplement. We still have to supplement, and we pump after each feeding to continue increasing supply, but I can still produce some milk and that makes me happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards