Stay at Home Moms

School & spanking

Did you know that in 20 states spanking is still allowed in schools? My niece went to school in NC and she was never spanked but knew friends and kids in her class that got spanked. 

If you live in a state that allows spanking in schools, would you let them attend public school? Or do they require each parent to decide whether they will allow the school to spank their child? 

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0934191.html

Forever blessed through adoption! 7-17-11

Re: School & spanking

• Um... no. If anyone lays a hand on my child, there will be wrath like they've never seen. Ella might not be going to NC public schools if they do this.
    Ella the Mermaid 06/13/12 * King Triton 09/15/14
    apesig

• I actually do live in a state where it is still allowed. My husband was spanked in class once (he was picking something up from under a table, and there was a girl with a dress on at the same table. He was not trying to look up her skirt at all. He was in elementary school at the time). That was less than 20 years ago and I wonder what policies are at that school now.

I am 99% sure we will be homeschooling our children anyway, but not for the spanking laws/reasons. I don't like teachers spanking, because, like in my husband's case, they might not understand what is really going on. MH and I know my child better than anyone outside our home.

BFP: February 12 2012
    Joseph Scott born October 8
    7lb 12oz 20.5"
    TTC #2 Since February 2013

• If spankings were actually still on the books and being given, I'd be leading the fight to the school board. 

I think lots of districts that still do this have some kind of opt in or opt out. I would do whichever.

I will say, I'd be concerned that if spanking was still allowed that they would be implementing other forms of punitive discipline that I wouldn't approve of.  I guess it would depend on the actual district. 

If it still happened w/o my consent, my lawyer would be on that immediately. 

E 9.08, V 8.11, #3 coming April 2014
  • No, not ok.  Teachers can call home and I will discipline as I see fit.  Within the school walls it better result in a stern talking to, loss of priviledge and a 'scary' phone call home.  That said, I know many parents who do nothing when teachers call home and the teacher truly has nothing to work with on their end which is terribly unfortunate.  I still don't think spanking at school is ok.
    Hallelujah, it's a miracle, I have children AND a signature!
    image image

TTC since February 2009
    MC 6/28/2010 @ 7w 5d
    Dx low progesterone October 2010, IUI success and then a total surprise!
  • Rink08Rink08
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its
    They don't allow it where we currently are and I wouldn't allow my child to be spanked if they did.

We plan to eventually move to Texas where it is still allowed according to many of the school handbooks that we've looked into. We'll either be sending the kids to a private school where they do not practice it schoolwide or to one of the public schools where we would be able to "opt out" of it.

DH and I are in strong agreement that there is no reason for an adult to ever lay a hand on a child.
  • It was made illegal when I was in Kindergarten, half way through the year and I was spanked twice, both by the principal. Once for throwing rocks outside and I don't remember the other reason.

• JCMJCM
    Tenth Anniversary 2500 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper

When I was a child spanking was alive and well in my school.  At the start of every year my mom would send a note to the principle and my teacher saying that no one was to lay a finger on me.  Even though I went to the same school with the same principle from K - 6th she sent one each and every year.  

So, if it is allowed in TX I would make sure the school knows my stance on this type of punishment.  No way, no how!   

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• According to that list, my state allows it. However, we also have the lowest number of "children hit". I can honestly tell you though that if any teacher or administrator tried to do that here they would be fired faster than you could blink.

ETA: I was actually spanked in school. I think it was 4th grade? The state I grew up in banned spanking before that time. Honestly, it really didn't phase me more than any other punishment. It wasn't my main teacher. He was an elderly fellow and honestly I don't think he understood why you shouldn't do that. Irregardless of what a parent does at home I do not think that spanking is appropriate in a school setting.

• If a public educator ever hits my child the police will be involved.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a teacher, I wouldn't do it even if it was allowed by state law.

ETA: Holy crap, it was allowed in my state until I was in 4th grade. I don't remember ever hearing of anyone getting hit by a teacher or administrator. 

I also can't imagine how horrid the "crime" would have to be for an educator to even consider hitting a kid. I taught in an inner city school with daily fights and violence, and the most physical contact was our security guard or vice principal (both trained in restraint) restraining a student and handcuffing them. No one ever hit.

• image auroraloo:
    As a teacher, I wouldn't do it even if it was allowed by state law. ETA: Holy crap, it was allowed in my state until I was in 4th grade. I don't remember ever hearing of anyone getting hit by a teacher or administrator.nbsp;I also can't imagine how horrid the "crime" would have to be for an educator to even consider hitting a kid. I taught in an inner city school with daily fights and violence, and the most physical contact was our security guard or vice principal both trained in restraint restraining a student and handcuffing them. No one ever hit.

I got spanked for throwing rocks at play time.

• image Hav=Fath:
    image auroraloo:
    As a teacher, I wouldn't do it even if it was allowed by state law. ETA: Holy crap, it was allowed in my state until I was in 4th grade. I don't remember ever hearing of anyone getting hit by a teacher or administrator.nbsp;I also can't imagine how horrid the "crime" would have to be for an educator to even consider hitting a kid. I taught in an inner city school with daily fights and violence, and the most physical contact was our security guard or vice principal both trained in restraint restraining a student and handcuffing them. No one ever hit.

That's disturbing. Why would an adult do that to a little kid? 

image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image penguingrrl:

image Hav=Fath:
    image auroraloo:

I got spanked everywhere, parents, babysitter, Heck... even the Sunday school teacher spanked me a time or two. I sure was glad when they made it illegal when I was in K.

• image Hav=Fath:
    image penguingrrl:

image Hav=Fath:
    image auroraloo:

I got spanked everywhere, parents, babysitter, Heck... even the Sunday school teacher spanked me a time or two. I sure was glad when they made it illegal when I was in K.
    geebus.
  • KateMWKateMW
    25000 Comments 250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its

image letranger:
    Oh he'll no.

Oh hell no.

Is it sad that apparently I type hell enough that it doesn't autocorrect it?  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • It says it has been banned in NJ since 1867! Do you think that's a typo? No wonder I never heard anyone talk about it growing up.

E 9.08, V 8.11, #3 coming April 2014
  • I read a blog that I'm sort of embarrassed to admit to reading, but one of the blogger's kids received birthday spankings from his teacher in front of his kindergarten class. Vom. Obviously different from spanking for discipline, but so inappropriate.
    holz

My little sidekick August 2010

Mr. Sunshine April 2012

• image Hav=Fath:
    image penguingrrl:

image Hav=Fath:
    image auroraloo:

That makes me so sad. My mom spanked me 2 or 3 times and slapped me across the face once. It was such a rare punishment that I remember most times. Once my sister and I were spanked because we were splashing so much during our bath that water made it all the way down the hall to her bedroom (50s ranch where the master was on one end, then there were two bedrooms before you got to the other bathroom!). The slap was because I was supposed to be cleaning my room at age 12 and screamed "I love you Miss Hannigan" at her.

• My parents gave the school to spank me even in high school. They had to sign a form. I remember my dad saying go ahead and spank her, and then send her home. I never got paddled (is what we call it down here). But I did have to stay in a few times to write sentences and to clean gum off the desk. I can't remember what anyone did to get paddled though
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image LoriLee14:
    My parents gave the school to spank me even in high school. They had to sign a form. I remember my dad saying go ahead and spank her, and then send her home. I never got paddled (is what we call it down here). But I did have to stay in a few times to write sentences and to clean gum off the desk. I can't remember what anyone did to get paddled though

Everyone here was proud that they let the school spank their kids, I remember even as a small child hearing "Let them spank them at school, then they'll get it again when they get home!" 

• Le sigh. I knew Texas was going to be on the list. The only kids I remember getting paddled were the boys on the football team. I guarantee if anyone laid a finger on my son, there would be hell to pay. That being said, he will be going to public school and my wishes will be known. Maybe it will be my project when he gets to that age to reform the discipline via school board.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• It was legal until I was nine according to that site. I don't know anyone my age that was paddled. My dad went to the same school and was paddled. I'm not sure how my parents would have reacted if I had been paddled.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know where it is still legal in Alabama (besides at private schools) but I know for a fact that it wasn't allowed at the school that I subbed at.
  • KateMWKateMW
    25000 Comments 250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its

image LoriLee14:
    I don't know where it is still legal in Alabama (besides at private schools) but I know for a fact that it wasn't allowed at the school that I subbed at.

There were rumors about it in high school, but I never saw it happen. I know for a fact that they don't do it in DD's school system and for sure it didn't happen in any of the secular private schools we looked at. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image KateMW:

image LoriLee14:
    I don't know where it is still legal in Alabama (besides at private schools) but I know for a fact that it wasn't allowed at the school that I subbed at.

There were rumors about it in high school, but I never saw it happen. I know for a fact that they don't do it in DD's school system and for sure it didn't happen in any of the secular private schools we looked at. 

I should take that statement back. It was allowed at my school (because my dad signed me up for it every year) But I also graduated 10 years ago. I don't know for sure if it is still allowed

• image penguingrrl:
    If a public educator ever hits my child the police will be involved.

Totally! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary