Parenting

S/o Biracial Relationships

How did your family react to you bringing home a SO of another race? My parents were fine. When I told my grandmother over the phone that my then boyfriend was Asian she flipped and asked how I could do this to the family?!?! The shiit old ppl say sometimes is crazy. I didn't give much credence to this bc she says some nutty stuff at times and tends to be over dramatic. When she funally met him in person she fell in love with him instantly bc DH is a super nice guy with a big heart. He also does all sorts of odd jobs around the house for her.

What were your family's reactions to your biracial relationship?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: S/o Biracial Relationships

• It was a non issue in my home. Both of my parents have dated outside of their race. My father was never present in my life anyway.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image Packerfan79:
    My family loved DH from the start. His family has called me racist names, like sand nword and a terrorist they said they were kidding. Oh and also they called DS half a camel jockey. They also said I got into cornell because of affirmative action. So yeah they are ignorant douches. DH has pretty much cut off all ties to his family.

The thing is too, persians are white. We aren't a different race. But instead of listening to me educate them, his family just spewed more hate. Sorry this turned into such a pity party.

That's awful. I am sorry you had to go through that. It amazes me how some people can be so short sighted nowadays!

• image Packerfan79:
    My family loved DH from the start. His family has called me racist names, like sand nword and a terrorist they said they were kidding. Oh and also they called DS half a camel jockey. They also said I got into cornell because of affirmative action. So yeah they are ignorant douches. DH has pretty much cut off all ties to his family.

The thing is too, persians are white. We aren't a different race. But instead of listening to me educate them, his family just spewed more hate. Sorry this turned into such a pity party.

What the fluuuuuuck?!?!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • SpookoSpooko
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Second Anniversary
    Neither of our families cared.

• My parents always told me "we aren't racist, but to make it easier on you we would prefer that you date within your race". Not racist, ya riiiiggghhhtttt. 

My first boyfriend was black, take that parents.  Surprisingly my parents kept their mouths shut, but his mother made it very apparent she didn't want him dating a white girl. 

AW: A few nights ago DD matched up the Prince Charming and Tiana  figurines and made them kiss and called them mommy and daddy. It was a proud moment for me. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• image Packerfan79:
    My family loved DH from the start. His family has called me racist names, like sand nword and a terrorist they said they were kidding. Oh and also they called DS half a camel jockey. They also said I got into cornell because of affirmative action. So yeah they are ignorant douches. DH has pretty much cut off all ties to his family. The thing is too, persians are white. We aren't a different race. But instead of listening to me educate them, his family just spewed more hate. Sorry this turned into such a pity party.

jesus f'uck that is awful.  

***Parenting Siggy Challenge***
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    "I love when people believe in conspiracy theories. It immediately tells me I'm smarter than you"- Daniel Tosh.
  • Packerfan- I am so sorry that you had to deal with such ignorance. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• image Packerfan79:

I think I said it before on our BMB, but Packer, I am sorry you had to deal with that. Racism is one of the things I just do not understand. Don't get it.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I never got serious enough with anyone of another race to tell my parents, but one boy whose parents were from India lived in the city where I went to college and they invited me for dinner a few times and were very welcoming. Not that it matters exactly but they were very western and had lived all over the world. Unlike a friend of mine from India who sneaked around because she was matched for an arranged marriage and her parents would have FLIPPED.

My mom would have been fine with it. My dad would have made a few stupid jokes and moved on. He has a bigot streak in him but he mostly treats people well. But one day before I went to college I drove with my dad to our old town to visit some family friends. The woman got me alone and said, "Listen, when you go to college, don't you bring home some black boy." I gave her the evil eye and she said, "You can bring one home for fun but not for keeps." Puke!

Hysterectomy after Stage IV Endometriosis
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Charlotte Rocks!

• God, Packer, that's terrible! I'm sorry you deal with them.

Hysterectomy after Stage IV Endometriosis
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Charlotte Rocks!

• I'm white and my husband is half white half Puerto Rican. His grandma on his Puerto Rican side makes a lot of comments about how white I am. I can't always tell if it's because I am super pale or if she's racist. She has said that she thought mh would end up with a Puerto Rican girl before. She's overall just kind of rude with no filter. My parents never had any issue with any of the guys I've dated due to skin tone. They adore mh and have welcomed him into the family as their son.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Out of my four serious boyfriends from high school on, one has been white, one has been black, and two have been mixed. After the first black guy my grandparents in Chicago called my mom asking about a picture of us that my cousins must have showed her [thaaanks]. My mom and her parents have asked why I couldn't date a white guy and stuff like that but they love him now and love our child.

Both black guys moms never had a problem with me being white. Both guys only dated white girls or Hispanic girls so I think they were used to it. Plus one is mixed herself so it's not like she can really say anything.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • image Packerfan79:

OMG That's terrible! I'm so sorry.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• DH's family for the most part has always loved me, thank god. One of his uncles asked him in Farsi if I was Israeli. He responded back no. Then he proceeded to tell him to go get a nice Jewish girl. DH was pissed.

My father is pretty racist as far as name calling, etc. I was pretty scared he was going to call him some very interesting names. I even went as far as to tell him when he was meeting him not to say any slurs. My father actually loves DH and hasn't broken out any choice things, so kudos father. I would not tolerate anything directed at DH, SS or Ds. I would lose my shlt.
    <image>
  • image Packerfan79:
    Thanks guys. I dont understand sometimes how DH was even bred from that family. They are five hours away but sometimes I feel like its not far enough. We have always had my familys support so that more than makes up for it. Its funny, sometimes on TB people complain about their inlaws being annoying and being too involved and I think, well at least your MIL doesnt blame you for 911. We just chug along and do our best to ignore them.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with them. That's so not fair. I can't imagine them making comments like that about their DIL, let along grandchild. So disgusting.

• My dad told me half jokingly he didn't care as long as I didn't date someone who was Muslim. Facepalm. He would never be racist in person, but I feel like he has some prejudice obviously.

My family couldn't care less my husband is Korean...I think privately they might be sad that their grandchildren won't look like them or what they "expected." I have a coworker who, when I told her my new Irish last name since he's adopted, she said "oh thank goodness. I was afraid you were going to have one of those oriental last names." She's from a very different generation and meant nothing malevolent, but I definitely just shake my head.

• DH and I are the same race and I still had ignorant family comments! He moved here from Ireland when we got married. When we were still dating long distance, my obnoxious mother's cousin said, "oh, we've never had an Irish man in the family, how nice" Dripping with fake kindness.

My mom was the first to marry a non Jew and they were not pleased I followed suit. I hear they had lots to say about my wedding in the catholic church.

• My first serious bf was Indian.  My family didn't care.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My parents were fine, my grandparents were a little hesitant, but would never have said anything directly to me about it, and once they got to know DH, they love him. The only bad reaction we got was from a person at my parents church (we lived with them for a couple of months when we got back from Peace Corps). This guy told my father "I don't know how you do it". My dad said "do what?". The guy said "have a black man live in your house". My dad said "are you talking about my son-in-law?" and walked away.

• I think sometimes his family is a little taken aback that H married someone who was not white and not Christian. His family is very religious, with his mom being conservative and his dad progressive (they are also divorced and remarried). However, other than expressing a concern that I do believe in A god if not the same one, they have been very welcoming. I got to travel out of town to meet them before we told them we were getting married. They have never made me feel less than loved, even though we have huge political differences, because we never go into that political area in our talks.

My family had some members who expressed some concern that I was marrying a non Muslim, but by that time they had already met him several times and everyone adores him. I was the first in our generation to get married, but out of the 8 of us, one married a different type Muslim and got divorced, one is single, the oldest married a different type Muslim from Egypt (qualify as caucasian), my sister converted to Christianity and married a caucasian, two married within race and religion, and one converted to a different type of Muslim and married a Hindu. Clearly our family doesnt really give a shiit about someone's race or religion in the end. We have cousins who are part hispanic, second cousins who have married African Americans, etc. Its been NBD.

ETA: Before getting married, I once told my dad that H is Jewish. My dad looked appalled. I told him I was just kidding but that if he had been, I would have married him anyway and that dad would just have to deal. I may have lectured my dad a little.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• image Packerfan79:
    My family loved DH from the start. His family has called me racist names, like sand nword and a terrorist they said they were kidding. Oh and also they called DS half a camel jockey. They also said I got into cornell because of affirmative action. So yeah they are ignorant douches. DH has pretty much cut off all ties to his family. The thing is too, persians are white. We aren't a different race. But instead of listening to me educate them, his family just spewed more hate. Sorry this turned into such a pity party.

I know I have asked before but where are you from? I was born in Kuwait. Fortunately, if his family feels a bit on the racist side, they havent done it within our earshot. They do live 6 hours away and we might have seen them less than a half dozen times since we got married, three of those being after having C and including his 1st bday.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• My parents met him and realized he was amazing, so race has never been an issue.  He is also way more fair than I am (light brown hair/blue green eyes) and I am usually the one mistaken to be of a different race.

The only issue I have is a bigot of a brother who has referred to my kids as "wetbacks".  My husband was there and said "FYI Mexico and South America are completely different, don't want you to be embarrassed misusing your slurs"

My brother can be a huge idiot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards