February 2013 Moms

Sleep training is amazing

Last night we were at the end of our rope. So we started sleep training. I would let DD fuss and then cry until she was obviously worked up, then I went in, picked her up, calmed her down, and put her in her crib again. I had to do this 2 more times. The third time I did this she quickly went to sleep after I put her down.

First nap today, 15 min of crying followed by a 45 min nap

Second nap, 10 min of playing with her crib toy, 5 min of crying, followed by a 45 min nap

Third nap, 5 sec of crying and a 45 min nap.

Down for the night with no crying.

I remember when DD1 initiated sleep training. She actually wanted us to put her down. She would cry worse when we held her. It is so liberating to just lay the baby down and they go to sleep. There's no drawn out ritual. It really is amazing! DD1 is loving having me to herself again too. It's a win win all around!

ETA: if she was a good sleeper we wouldn't have done it, but her sleep both at night and during the day has been getting worse and worse. She has become an overtired mess who will only sleep on us most of the time and she sleeps fitfully on us.
View Full Size Image
Lilypie - (kxiS)
Lilypie - (BG2d)

Re: Sleep training is amazing

• I'm glad it was so easy for you.  It never has been for me.  It's extremely long periods of crying that lead to vomiting, which lasts for weeks.  Every baby and mommy is different, I guess.

DS1 - 8/07  DS2 - 1/09  DD1 - 3/11  DD2 - 2/13
  • image adamwife:
    I'm glad it was so easy for you.nbsp; It never has been for me.nbsp; It's extremely long periods of crying that lead to vomiting, which lasts for weeks.nbsp; Every baby and mommy is different, I guess.

Totally. If that's how my kid reacted I couldn't do it. I tried it a few weeks ago and she wasn't having it.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image adamwife:
    I'm glad it was so easy for you.nbsp; It never has been for me.nbsp; It's extremely long periods of crying that lead to vomiting, which lasts for weeks.nbsp; Every baby and mommy is different, I guess.

Adamwife, I feel like my LO could totally fit into your brood. I can't let her cry because she just keeps escalating and working herself up.

I'm glad that sleep training works for some people. I just don't think it will work for me. Who knows maybe something will change in the next few months.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ugh I tried sleep training the other day and she wailed for 30 minutes straight and I couldn't out last her.  Kudos to you for having the strength to tough it out.  Keep us posted on the progress.
  • image +adamwife+:

I'm glad it was so easy for you.  It never has been for me.  It's extremely long periods of crying that lead to vomiting, which lasts for weeks.  Every baby and mommy is different, I guess.

Ugh, this is my problem.  Like, even when DD isn't *upset* to be put in her crib awake, even if she starts playing, she wiggles so vigorously that she's likely to spit up.  A part of me kind of want to sleep train so I can put her down awake, but it will have to wait until her little baby epiglottis matures enough that I won't be stuck going through multiple sets of sheets every night. 

Plus, she's pretty easy to get to fall asleep and put down still asleep, and usually wakes once (sometimes twice, sometimes sleeps through) each night.  So while I'd love to be able to put her down awake and have her fall asleep on her own, at the moment I'm in "if it's not broken, don't fix it" mode.  If sleep truly becomes a problem for us down the road, then we'll look into sleep training, but seeing as we both work full-time, it's difficult to justify turning our usually tear-free 30-minute bedtime routine into an hours-long scream-fest. Stick out tongue

• My DD is the same way. If we try to hold her or rock her for any extended period of time, she will get very worked up and cry a lot worse than if we just put her down and leave. I wouldn't really call what we do sleep training; I never read any of the books or stuck with any of the methods. We sorta kinda did a very modified Ferber for a few days. It just became obvious after trying several different things that what worked best was putting her down right away.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14

• Glad it's been so easy for you! That's amazing. 

The main reason we're not sleep training is because I don't really have any reason to. He either nurses to sleep or I rock him for about 5 minutes and he stays asleep when I put him in his crib. I don't mind, and even like, nursing and rocking (since it's only for a few minutes) him to sleep.  

• image carriesu2003:
    Ugh I tried sleep training the other day and she wailed for 30 minutes straight and I couldn't out last her.nbsp; Kudos to you for having the strength to tough it out.nbsp; Keep us posted on the progress.

Did you go back in and soothe? I couldn't last 30 min. I would go in and soothe her when she got too worked up.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image musicalmama5:

Glad it's been so easy for you! That's amazing. 

The main reason we're not sleep training is because I don't really have any reason to. He either nurses to sleep or I rock him for about 5 minutes and he stays asleep when I put him in his crib. I don't mind, and even like, nursing and rocking (since it's only for a few minutes) him to sleep.  

image Puck1182:

Plus, she's pretty easy to get to fall asleep and put down still asleep, and usually wakes once (sometimes twice, sometimes sleeps through) each night.  So while I'd love to be able to put her down awake and have her fall asleep on her own, at the moment I'm in "if it's not broken, don't fix it" mode.  If sleep truly becomes a problem for us down the road, then we'll look into sleep training, but seeing as we both work full-time, it's difficult to justify turning our usually tear-free 30-minute bedtime routine into an hours-long scream-fest. Stick out tongue

See, if mine was like yours I wouldn't care, but both her daytime and nighttime sleep has been getting atrocious. She will only sleep on me for naps and her naps have been getting more and more fitfull. She also been waking up every hour or two at night and has been very hard to get back to sleep.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • Glad it's working so well for you!
    We started early but our boys never got to a point of getting so worked up that they vomit and they never really cried too hard. I'm a wimp and wouldn't last with that! Maybe because there's two of them and they're used to having to cry a bit until its "their turn" made it easier to sleep train them? Lol who knows. But now they go down awake, still cry for 5 or 10 min but then take two 2 hour naps a day. I'm loving it!
  • SagenSagen
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    That's great, I am glad it is going well fir you :

Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!
  • I tried the Ferber method last week. There were improvements each day and after day 3 I can put her down awake, theres no crying and she's asleep within minutes. It is amazing. I didn't think it would be that easy!
  • We're on day 3 and J has never cried for more then 15 minutes. I'm so glad because I don't think I could make it past 20 to 30 minutes. He just went down for a nap and cried for 8 minutes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic