Baby Showers

Instead of a shower

I just saw this on pintrest and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It may just be because of her first sentence...
::eye roll::

Although I was grateful to also have a baby shower ::babies do need stuff!::, a couple weeks ago my friends got together to give me a blessingway. I had never heard of a blessingway, but quickly got excited by the idea. A blessingway is usually a giftfree gathering of the mothers closest friends and or family, usually all women, with a focus on the birth and the big transition to motherhood. Afterward, it occurred to me how rare it is in life to have your closest friends gather just for you, for the sole purpose of celebrating you and offering support. I kept saying, I feel so loved!!
There is a ton of blessingway activity inspiration to be found online, but here are the things we did at my blessingway:

The bead ceremony: Each friend brought a bead or a trinket that was to serve as a reminder of love and support. For example, one friend brought a jar of sand from the beach where my husband and I were married, to remind me of the strong foundation of our relationship and how important that will be in raising our daughter. Another friend brought a bead that looked like the ocean, to remind me that during labor I will need to relax and relinquish control, the way you do when youre swimming in ocean waves. As each person told the meaning behind their bead, they tied it onto a ribbon, which I can bring with me to the hospital when the baby is ready to be born.

The cord ceremony: We wrapped yarn around our wrists and passed it to the next person, so that at the end we were all tied together by one long strand. We cut the strands and tied the ends around our wrists, making a bracelet that each person will wear until the baby is born.

The candle ceremony: We each decorated a glass votive or two. When I go into labor, my friends will light their candle for us.

The birthing book: Each person brought a poem, story, quote, song, or reading to slip into an album. The readings were about motherhood, or love one friend brought the lyrics to a beautiful lullaby, another brought a journal entry she wrote when her son was just a few days old.

Favor tickets: Each person brought a ticket or two for things they will do for me and my family once the baby is born. They included things like free babysitting sessions, dog walks, meals, house cleaning, etc.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

July13 Challenge
A plague of stupid people
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Instead of a shower

• Despite the general grossness of this, there are MAJOR cultural appropriation issues with calling something a blessingway. All around gross and wrong.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Gag. Why don't they all just get naked, decorate their hair with flowers, and dance in the summer solstice?
  • This sounds like something I'd want no part of.
  • This is something I would feel really-really uncomfortable at and would never attend another one again! 
    Dating January 2012 : Married August 2012 : TTC Baby R #1 since July 2013
    BFP #1 on 9/7/13 : EDD 5/20/14 : Found out on 10/21/2013 we MC on 10/5/13 at 7w4d
    D&C performed on 10/30/13

BFP #2 on 1/19/13 : EDD 9/29/14  **WE ARE TEAM PINK!!  BABY R IS A GIRL**

Proud Police Wife

• image BeckyTheEngineer:
    This sounds like something I'd want no part of.

This. Unless you're actually part of the Navaho tribe, it seems like a weird to do.

image image

• So it's a non gift giving event....to which you must bring three very specific gifts? (Bead, poem, and redeemable tickets)

I may be a big ol B sometimes… but...
  • Oh dear lord,

I pray my mom doesn't see this pin.  I have 6 siblings so she would want to do this for everyone.

• Sounds seriously cultish.

4/12/10 - Began TTC 8/2012 - IFV #1 - 18 follicles retrieved, 11 usable, 10 fertilized, 9 continued to grow, 2 tranferred, BFN :( 9/2012 to 10/2012- Treated for uterine infection 11/12/12 - Began IVF #2 12/19/12 - 2 embryos tranferred 12/24/12 - Tested Christmas Eve morning - first ever BFP!!! with a due date of 9/6 :) 12/28/12 - Beta #1 - 193 12/31/12 - Beta #2 - 624 1/7/13 - Beta #3 - 7544 1/14/13 - Beta #4 - 31,067 1/16/13 - IT'S TWINS!!!! Two healthy heartbeats! 8/22/13 9:51 and 9:52pm- Our precious Ashley and Kayla arrived in perfect health.  (Ashley - 6lbs 0oz, 18.5 inches.  Kayla - 5lbs 2oz, 17 inches.)

photo TwinsTriplets.jpg

Lilypie - (TZV1)image

• It sounds like it didn't really happen and was made up.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Estwd2Estwd2
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    image MagickalNarwhal:
    Despite the general grossness of this, there are MAJOR cultural appropriation issues with calling something a blessingway. All around gross and wrong.
    IKR? I highly doubt the Navajo are thrilled that one of their cultural ceremonies has been "pinned" and become a fad party to clueless people.
  • I would get up and leave if I didn't know beforehand what sort of event this was.  This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've heard of.
  • I couldnt get over this line

" For example, one friend brought a jar of sand from the beach where my husband and I were married, to remind me of the strong foundation of our relationship and how important that will be in raising our daughter."

I kept thinking about the bible story about the foolish man building his house on the sand...

Other than that... no offense to anyone else... its just not my style at all...any of it. 

• I have a bizarre FB friend who is just an acquaintance my DH attended HS with back in the day. She and her hippie friends hold "womb altars" for one another. Lots of crystals, chanting, tents and henna involved. Immensely entertaining on FB though, especially after she changed her name to Dream Catcher.
  • image MMason12:
    This is something I would feel really-really uncomfortable at and would never attend another one again! 

I feel the same way............I was uncomfortable reading about it so I could imagine if I actually attended something like this. 

• I dunno, I think the general over-all theme of support is sweet. If it's only your very nearest and dearest, this wouldn't bother me. It would depend on your circle; some people would find it totally uncomfortable and cheesy, but I know some groups that would get a lot out of something like this.

The whole cultural appropriation aspect of it is another issue entirely, but we do live in a "melting pot" nation, and a certain amount of cultural appropriation (of all cultures) is a part of that. As long as it's being put to its intended use and handled with respect, it's a far cry from the more destructive types of cultural appropriation that are so much more insidious and pervasive. 

• Estwd2Estwd2
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    image carlieanddanwedding:
    The whole cultural appropriation aspect of it is another issue entirely, but we do live in a "melting pot" nation, and a certain amount of cultural appropriation of all cultures is a part of that. As long as it's being put to its intended use and handled with respect, it's a far cry from the more destructive types of cultural appropriation that are so much more insidious and pervasive.nbsp;
    I think if you truly respect another culture, you wouldn't try to turn their customs into a Pinterest worthy party. There are tons of examples of customs adapting and changing over time. This is not that. This is straight up saying, "Oh, what an awesome party idea!"
  • The favor tickets are cool but the rest of the party is yucky to me.  There is NO way I'd wear a piece of yarn around my wrist until the baby was born. 

• image carlieanddanwedding:

I dunno, I think the general over-all theme of support is sweet. If it's only your very nearest and dearest, this wouldn't bother me. It would depend on your circle; some people would find it totally uncomfortable and cheesy, but I know some groups that would get a lot out of something like this.

The whole cultural appropriation aspect of it is another issue entirely, but we do live in a "melting pot" nation, and a certain amount of cultural appropriation (of all cultures) is a part of that. As long as it's being put to its intended use and handled with respect, it's a far cry from the more destructive types of cultural appropriation that are so much more insidious and pervasive. 

Yeah, no. Just because there are worse forms of cultural appropriation doesn't mean this particular form is OK.

And the whole point is that it's NOT being put to it's intended use. The Dine/Navajo have a very specific, intense ceremony that they call a blessingway. Not a bunch of entitled women who want to woo it up and post about it on pinterest. If you want to have some kind of woo it up fire dance bead ceremony, that's totally fine with me. But don't call it or compare it in any way to a blessingway.

PS I'm able to navigate quite well in this "melting pot" without taking pieces of marginalized cultures that are not mine and using them for my own entitled benefit.

• Sounds like hippie nonsense.

• image chattychiqa:
    I've heard of this among my UU friends. It's definitely NMS but I can see a benefit from all the support. I wouldn't want one for myself or to attend one.

I agree with this. If it's something that all your friends are on board for then it's pretty cool. Personally NMS but getting love and support in any type or way is amazing.  

BFP 7/18/09 missed miscarriage discovered 8/20/09
    BFP 2/03/10 chemical pregnancy 2/09/10
    BFP 04/19/10 chemical pregnancy 4/21/10

SURPRISE BFP 11/28/11, EDD 8/06/12, Cooper Anthony born 8/5/12

• image AshleyF1234:
    I couldnt get over this linenbsp;"nbsp;For example, one friend brought a jar of sand from the beach where my husband and I were married, to remind me of the strong foundation of our relationship and how important that will be in raising our daughter."I kept thinking about the bible story about the foolish man building his house on the sand...Other than that... no offense to anyone else... its just not my style at all...any of it.nbsp;

Lol! I caught that too... A strong foundation of sand huh? Good idea, genius. Never hire this chick as your architect.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Teen Crush: James Van Der Beek in Varsity Blues
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow I read this and was laughing so hard. For some reason I never think of sand as a "strong foundation." Still laughing over that one. As for the rest, well to me it seems like there was a cultural thing going on or a way to go cheap on the gifts!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.