February 2013 Moms
Options

Slow weight gain

DS was pretty big at birth 8lb, 13 oz. I forget which percentile. He stayed at that percentile through his 2 mo appt, but dropped like 30 percentile by 3 mo. My pedi said babies his age should be gaining half an ounce to an ounce per day. He did okay between 3 and 4 months, but I just weighed him today and I estimate he has only gained 6 oz or so in the past 3 weeks again. We have slowly weaned to formula over the past month, and he taking in over 30 oz per day. He doesn't seem hungry. I don't know what to do.

Anyone have experience with something like this?

ETA he is about 15 lb now. No way he is going to double his birthweight by 6 mo at this rate!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Slow weight gain

• Options
    FWIW, I wouldn't worry about doubling birth weight by 6 month.. I was a huge baby, almost 10 lbs, and didn't double my birth weight until well after a year. I like to think I turned out alright.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with what PP said about not worrying about doubling birth weight.  DS was small, 6 lbs 7 oz, so he doubled his birth weight ages ago, maybe at around 3 months or so, I forget.  At any rate, there's no hard and fast calculation that works for every baby.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Our ped. Doesn't make a huge deal out of percentiles. My dd was 3rd percentile at birth. She gained weight and was usually about 25th. Then around 6 months she was 35th. Then at her 9 month check she was down to the 10thppercentile. I kinda freaked but he said she was still steadily gaining weight, so there was no cause for concern.
  • Options

imageJackigan:
    DD was 8lbs 5oz at birth. At 5 months she is about 13lbs. She only gains a pound a month. I'm not worried. Everything's fine.

This is us too!  Only I tend to worry some since my girl went from 8lb5oz to 7lb1oz in her first 10 days.  We went in to see her pedi yesterday because she popped a blood vessel in her eye (looks scary!) and at 5.5 months she's 13lb6oz, so right on her curve.  She's slow to gain but as long as she keeps gaining on/near her curve her pedi doesn't worry, so I don't worry. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"