February 2013 Moms

Slow weight gain

DS was pretty big at birth 8lb, 13 oz. I forget which percentile. He stayed at that percentile through his 2 mo appt, but dropped like 30 percentile by 3 mo. My pedi said babies his age should be gaining half an ounce to an ounce per day. He did okay between 3 and 4 months, but I just weighed him today and I estimate he has only gained 6 oz or so in the past 3 weeks again. We have slowly weaned to formula over the past month, and he taking in over 30 oz per day. He doesn't seem hungry. I don't know what to do.

Anyone have experience with something like this?

ETA he is about 15 lb now. No way he is going to double his birthweight by 6 mo at this rate!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Slow weight gain

• DD1 was born at something crazy like 95th percentile. She continued to grow, but very slowly. She dropped down to 25th percentile by 6months and she is still there 4 years later. My drs never said a word. She was growing and hitting her milestones. Her body just had to adjust to her true percentile.

DD2 started out at 12th percentile and rapidly gained weight at over a pound a week for the first few weeks. Our current pedi only weighs with clothes and diaper on so his percentiles aren't accurate, he measures her at 50th so my guess is that she is more in the 25th range just like her sister.

Babies adjust up or down to get to where their supposed to be, If he is alert and hitting milestones then I wouldn't worry too much.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • FWIW, I wouldn't worry about doubling birth weight by 6 month.. I was a huge baby, almost 10 lbs, and didn't double my birth weight until well after a year. I like to think I turned out alright.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with what PP said about not worrying about doubling birth weight.  DS was small, 6 lbs 7 oz, so he doubled his birth weight ages ago, maybe at around 3 months or so, I forget.  At any rate, there's no hard and fast calculation that works for every baby.

• I wouldn't worry about it. Our ped. Doesn't make a huge deal out of percentiles. My dd was 3rd percentile at birth. She gained weight and was usually about 25th. Then around 6 months she was 35th. Then at her 9 month check she was down to the 10thppercentile. I kinda freaked but he said she was still steadily gaining weight, so there was no cause for concern.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c Harrison 2/6/12 @ 14weeks
  • DD was 8lbs 5oz at birth. At 5 months she is about 13lbs. She only gains a pound a month. I'm not worried. Everything's fine.
  • image Jackigan:
    DD was 8lbs 5oz at birth. At 5 months she is about 13lbs. She only gains a pound a month. I'm not worried. Everything's fine.

This is us too!  Only I tend to worry some since my girl went from 8lb5oz to 7lb1oz in her first 10 days.  We went in to see her pedi yesterday because she popped a blood vessel in her eye (looks scary!) and at 5.5 months she's 13lb6oz, so right on her curve.  She's slow to gain but as long as she keeps gaining on/near her curve her pedi doesn't worry, so I don't worry. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker