February 2013 Moms

Let me be judgey please.

My cousin just put a picture on fb of her 6 mo old eating beef jerky. *eye twitching*

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Let me be judgey please.

• Baby led weaning. It is awesome. Agreed, probably a lot of salt though
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • At the grocery store this morning, the cashier asked me if I was giving DD baby food yet, and I said no. She replied that she has 3 young children and started them on cereal at ONE WEEK OLD, then baby food at 2 months!!! It "helped them sleep better at night." I had to consciously make an effort to not let my eyes get big and my mouth drop open.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14- Team Blue! 

• BBS!BBS!
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Love Its
    My guess is the baby just chewed on it and it helped the teething. I don't judge feeding rice cereal early either. our parents generation did it and we all ended up ok. Did I do it- No but it doesn't mean that I look down on those who do. Parenting is tough. Lets not make it harder by judging each other.
  • image BBS!:
    My guess is the baby just chewed on it and it helped the teething. I don't judge feeding rice cereal early either. our parents generation did it and we all ended up ok. Did I do it No but it doesn't mean that I look down on those who do. Parenting is tough. Lets not make it harder by judging each other.

Starting cereal a little early is one thing, especially if there's reflux or something going on. Starting as soon as they are born? Yeah, I judge that a bit.

• This made me LOL.  Will the person that has *never* judged someone else ever in their life please stand up? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Yeah I let him suck on stuff if he seems interested in it (and it's healthy). Although he had the tiniest bit of frozen yogurt last weekend ;)
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BBS!BBS!
    Oh I judge, but I think people on the Bump are way too judgey about giving solids early. My best friend's mother gave her girls rice cereal at 2 weeks. My mother in law did the same. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't do it, but really there are far worse things to do as a parent! My older pediatrician also laughs at it because he said the advice used to be to give cereal at a very young age. He said you basically can't go wrong bc the next generation will have different beliefs and guidelines and we all turn out ok. Whatever. I just don't waste my time judging other people's parenting methods bc we really are just doing the best we can!
  • BBS!BBS!
    I will also add, that I'm a child psychologist and I work with children in the foster care system. When you see the severe abuse that happens to many kids, you get less judgey about the little things intended parents do.
  • image BBS!:
    Oh I judge, but I think people on the Bump are way too judgey about giving solids early. My best friend's mother gave her girls rice cereal at 2 weeks. My mother in law did the same. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't do it, but really there are far worse things to do as a parent! My older pediatrician also laughs at it because he said the advice used to be to give cereal at a very young age. He said you basically can't go wrong bc the next generation will have different beliefs and guidelines and we all turn out ok. Whatever. I just don't waste my time judging other people's parenting methods bc we really are just doing the best we can!

agree 100%. My MIL 100% formula fed her 2 boys and started cereal at 3 months. DH went to a top 20 University and is doing pretty great in life, and BIL is a PHD candidate. Horrible parenting, I tell ya. Really screwed them up.  Oh, neither have food allergies, either

I may be a big ol B sometimes… but...
  • Haa, some old lady at the bank recommended a donut shop to get donuts for my 4 month old and some trucker tried to give him a piece of ham. I am all for BLW, but we are vegetarians, and it will be awhile before we introduce donuts.
    LO born Feb 2010 & Feb 2013
    MMC at 12 weeks March 2012

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/M6BioMlgKeCE8" width="500" height="367" frameBorder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
  • image PeanutR1:

image BBS!:

agree 100%. My MIL 100% formula fed her 2 boys and started cereal at 3 months. DH went to a top 20 University and is doing pretty great in life, and BIL is a PHD candidate. Horrible parenting, I tell ya. Really screwed them up. &nbsp;Oh, neither have food allergies, either

Okay, rice cereal, whatever, do what you want. There are legit reasons for starting it early, and that's fine. But beef jerky at 6 months old? This wasn't a "solids are evil" post, it was a "beef jerky at 6 months is stupid" post, and I agree with that wholeheartedly.
    imageimageimage
    BFP#1: 12.27.11, EDD 9.6.12, M/C 1/6/12 at 5w
    BFP#2: 5.26.12, EDD 2.7.13, DS Born 2.1.13
  • image PeanutR1:

image BBS!:

agree 100%. My MIL 100% formula fed her 2 boys and started cereal at 3 months. DH went to a top 20 University and is doing pretty great in life, and BIL is a PHD candidate. Horrible parenting, I tell ya. Really screwed them up.  Oh, neither have food allergies, either

I have no problem with formula feeding, I would never judge someone for using formula. And starting cereal at 3 months is a lot different than 1 or 2 weeks.... 

• Btw, I wasn't saying solids are evil either. I just have never heard of starting as early as 1 week old, even from the "older" generations.

• It is actually hilarious that you posted this because I have been researching BLW and how people recommend you introduce solids and one of the websites I was on said to start with veggies and then meat! I was like my kid has no teeth how the hell can she eat meat?  The jerky sounds like maybe the kid is sucking on it? I don't know.  Is it possible she posted it to be funny but the kid isn't really eating it?
  • I don't care who starts solids early, but the sodium content alone is insane for an infant.  I just needed to get it out because I'm pretty sure beef jerky wasn't in the BLW category...along with donuts, poptarts, soda, candy, fried corndogs, etc. Smile  Seems like it's common sense not to introduce junky snack foods as a first food.  And, yes, I am totally being judgmental.  I give my 2 yr old all sorts of crap to eat, so I shouldn't be, but it shocked me.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image pitterpatter129:

I don't care who starts solids early, but the sodium content alone is insane for an infant.  I just needed to get it out because I'm pretty sure beef jerky wasn't in the BLW category...along with donuts, poptarts, soda, candy, fried corndogs, etc. Smile  Seems like it's common sense not to introduce junky snack foods as a first food.  And, yes, I am totally being judgmental.  I give my 2 yr old all sorts of crap to eat, so I shouldn't be, but it shocked me.

whoa, whoa... No corndogs?  But it's got 2 of your 4 basic food groups!  Meat and veggies. Corn is a veggie, right? ;)

Agreed that the sodium in the jerky is a no no, but dang, the texture does seem pretty awesome for a baby that is gnawing on everything.  Ok, brainstorm - what else has same texture that isn't a salt stick or leather belt?  Ready, GO! 

• SagenSagen
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper

I wonder what my kids will look back on that I did and be like "wtf were you thinking"! I think that about my parents a lot, bless their wonderful kind hearts. I made it out a live, but you won't see my kids in the bed of a truck riding down the highway, no matter how wonderfully awesome it is to a kid ;)

I judge, I think we all do. I am sure people judge me, but I know for me and mine I am doing the best I can. Also if you find yourself being judgemental it is one of those keep to yourself things. Mean if you gossip, or straight up berate someone to their face. With that said, anonymously talking smack on an internet board where you know the likelihood of someone else feeding their baby beef jerky is slim; is fine in my book. It gives me something to read while I am nursing :)

I will say one thing though, I judge harshly, loudly, and with out apologies at people who text while they drive. Straight up idiots who are going to run into me, and my beautiful kids. I will take that phone and shove so far up, well you know what crazy rant I am getting on. Just had to vent about that, carry on.

August Sig. man crush
    Mom to 4 cute kids! 10 yo girl 8 yo boy 6 yo boy and a 1.5 yo boy!
  • image BBS!:

We have a very similar pedi. When I asked if it was a problem that DD started sleeping on her side as soon as we brought her home, he pointed out DH and I were both left to sleep on our stomachs and we survived. My Dr. Spock book suggests cereal at 2 months if not before. He doesnt mention beef jerky though. And I don't think my mom was on that bandwagon of early solids though. She breastfed all 3 not exclusively though of us until about 2.5 years or as she said we could ask for the left or right. ::mobile wink::
  • image pitterpatter129:

I don't care who starts solids early, but the sodium content alone is insane for an infant.  I just needed to get it out because I'm pretty sure beef jerky wasn't in the BLW category...along with donuts, poptarts, soda, candy, fried corndogs, etc. Smile  Seems like it's common sense not to introduce junky snack foods as a first food.  And, yes, I am totally being judgmental.  I give my 2 yr old all sorts of crap to eat, so I shouldn't be, but it shocked me.

Beef jerky has waaaayyyy too much sodium for a 6 month old. That much sodium can be harmful to young kidneys. I would judge too.

imageimage
    Homebirthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, young mama to two beautiful babies
    and married to my best friend in the world.
    imageimage
  • image BBS!:

Here's the thing--giving solids before a child is developmentally ready has been proven to be a bad idea. I agree that it's certainly not the worse thing (of course it pales in comparison to child abuse...) that could happen, but c'mon. Feeding your baby food before their gut is ready, especially with all the knowledge out there is kinda negligent, IMO. Flame away. Setting your child up for health problems by trying to get extra sleep is a little selfish, I think.

Edit: grammar

imageimage
    Homebirthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, young mama to two beautiful babies
    and married to my best friend in the world.
    imageimage
  • image secondaryPULSE:

image BBS!:

Here's the thing--giving solids before a child is developmentally ready has been proven to be a bad idea. I agree that it's certainly not the worse thing (of course it pales in comparison to child abuse...) that could happen, but c'mon. Feeding your baby food before their gut is ready, especially with all the knowledge out there is kinda negligent, IMO. Flame away. Setting your child up for health problems by trying to get extra sleep is a little selfish, I think.

Edit: grammar

and here is the argument from the other side - WHEN are they developmentally ready?  The answer has changed so much, and why is 6 mos such a magic #?  Every kid develops differently. My new niece is 5 weeks old, and developmentally, my babe was like her at 1-2 weeks.  

The biggest reason to wait that I've heard is food allergies.   I've said it before, I'll say it again: prove it.  In every generation prior to the last few years, solids were started long before 6 mos by most.  Nobody I know in my parents generation has major food allergies, and I certainly never had to eat in a peanut free lunchroom.  Actually, the one person my age who I know with a gluten intolerance is daughter of a crunchy 70s hippie, so I'm sure she was EBF and started solids later.  

Ever since this movement of waiting longer, it seems food allergies have gotten WORSE, and I'll be the first to say "I told you so" when in 10 years, the new studies bqck that up and the rec changes again.  

Saying I'm negligent b/c I started my almost 4 mo old at the time (who is 97th % height and 95% wt and wa eating 30-35 oz a day) on solids is ridiculous.  She has had total head and neck control since about 10 weeks, grabs for food, and stares/makes chewing motions every time I eat.  

• image PeanutR1:
    image pitterpatter129:

I don't care who starts solids early, but the sodium content alone is insane for an infant.&nbsp; I just needed to get it out because I'm pretty sure beef jerky wasn't in the BLW category...along with donuts, poptarts, soda, candy, fried corndogs, etc. Smile&nbsp; Seems like it's common sense not to introduce junky snack foods as a first food.&nbsp; And, yes, I am totally being judgmental.&nbsp; I give my 2 yr old all sorts of crap to eat, so I shouldn't be, but it shocked me.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

whoa, whoa... No corndogs? &nbsp;But it's got 2 of your 4 basic food groups! &nbsp;Meat and veggies. Corn is a veggie, right? ;)

&nbsp;Agreed that the sodium in the jerky is a no no, but dang, the texture does seem pretty awesome for a baby that is gnawing on everything. &nbsp;Ok, brainstorm - what else has same texture that isn't a salt stick or leather belt? &nbsp;Ready, GO!&nbsp;

I proudly posted this on FB. Wonder if anyone thought he was actually eating it and judged me. Oh well. It was hilarious!

I like cookies.

• image pitterpatter129:

My 3 year old has never had beef jerky.  I'm certainly not giving it to my 6 month old.  Although, I will admit, we are VERY careful about what we eat and what we feed the kids.   

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• image PeanutR1:
    and here is the argument from the other side WHEN are they developmentally ready? nbsp;The answer has changed so much, and why is 6 mos such a magic ? nbsp;Every kid develops differently. My new niece is 5 weeks old, and developmentally, my babe was like her at 12 weeks. nbsp;The biggest reason to wait that I've heard is food allergies. nbsp; I've said it before, I'll say it again: prove it. nbsp;In every generation prior to the last few years, solids were started long before 6 mos by most. nbsp;Nobody I know in my parents generation has major food allergies, and I certainly never had to eat in a peanut free lunchroom. nbsp;Actually, the one person my age who I know with a gluten intolerance is daughter of a crunchy 70s hippie, so I'm sure she was EBF and started solids later. nbsp;Ever since this movement of waiting longer, it seems food allergies have gotten WORSE, and I'll be the first to say "I told you so" when in 10 years, the new studies bqck that up and the rec changes again. nbsp;Saying I'm negligent b/c I started my almost 4 mo old at the time who is 97th height and 95 wt and wa eating 3035 oz a day on solids is ridiculous. nbsp;She has had total head and neck control since about 10 weeks, grabs for food, and stares/makes chewing motions every time I eat. nbsp;

100 percent agree with you Peanut.
    Feb13 August Sig Challenge: Man Crush: 
    Charlie Hunnam
    image image
  • image eriannc22:
    image PeanutR1:
    image pitterpatter129:

whoa, whoa... No corndogs?  But it's got 2 of your 4 basic food groups!  Meat and veggies. Corn is a veggie, right? ;)

Agreed that the sodium in the jerky is a no no, but dang, the texture does seem pretty awesome for a baby that is gnawing on everything.  Ok, brainstorm - what else has same texture that isn't a salt stick or leather belt?  Ready, GO! 

image I proudly posted this on FB. Wonder if anyone thought he was actually eating it and judged me. Oh well. It was hilarious!

LOL Yes

imageimage
  • image Sagen:

I will say one thing though, I judge harshly, loudly, and with out apologies at people who text while they drive. Straight up idiots who are going to run into me, and my beautiful kids. I will take that phone and shove so far up, well you know what crazy rant I am getting on. Just had to vent about that, carry on.

I totally do this too. People who text and drive need a swift kick in the head.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • emd886emd886
    100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    image pitterpatter129:

My cousin just put a picture on fb of her 6 mo old eating beef jerky. *eye twitching*

My SIL was doing this with her baby. 8 months old, slim jims (yes she really was eating it) and a sippy of dr.pepper! Shes turning 1 soon and everytime I see her shes on a constant diet of juice (ive never seen her drink water), cookies and hot dogs blech Yes I judge.
    That side of the family is counting down til my LO turns 6 months. They think 6 months is going to be a free for all for cake, ice cream and whatever other junk they cant wait to shove in his mouth. I got the side eye when I said we are not feeding him junk....sheesh
    BabyFruit Ticker