December 2013 Moms

What's your idea of living comfortably?

2»

Re: What's your idea of living comfortably?

• imagesuperspecialsnowflake:
    I 100 agree with not having to live paycheck to paycheck or worry about how one is going to make a necessary purchase or payment.nbsp; I will add that living in my mind also means having a good "nest egg" or emergency funds in your savings account in case something goes wrong Living in an comfortable home "comfortable" does not necessarily mean big or fancy, in an area where you feel safe Having a fulfilling job that allows you time for relaxation and familyDH and I are comfortable.nbsp; We are not rich, and we do not live in a fancy home, but at the end of the day, we do not
    feel like we need anything more.nbsp; Our "want" list is a mile long though...lol....nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;

I agree. Our lifestyle isn't extravagent and we are not what I would consider wealthy but we are comfortable.
  • imageVCGolfNYC:
    imageKateMW:
    imageVCGolfNYC:
    We've never been. Per Se, Daniel, Eleven Madison Park and Masa were on my must do list. I'm so infatuated with Eleven Madison Park we just keep going there. I'll have to branch out more... The hedge fund manager I used to advise had a Michelin rated chef as his personal chef. We have remained close so he always helps me get a table when I'm shut out! Love him!

I knew I needed to be a hedge fund manager. LOL

Have you seen Somm? It's about the master sommelier test and 4 guys who take it. Really great and mild spoiler, one of the guys is the current wine director at EMP. Masa is fantastic. We have had DD with us our last couple of trips, so EMP was out. I wish they still did their lunch with the chicken or duck...always wanted to try it.  

I've heard it's amazing like that!  

Never seen it, but it will be added to my list! 

I think I prefer EMP to Per Se because we had such a personalized experience at EMP the first time we went.  One of the waiters overheard a drunk version of me telling DH how much I looooveee olives and how I wish I could live in an olive and other drunken nonsense.  A few minutes later I was surprised with a personal olive tasting!  

• Loading the player...
  • imageNY Mama:
    imagesuperspecialsnowflake:
    I 100 agree with not having to live paycheck to paycheck or worry about how one is going to make a necessary purchase or payment.nbsp; I will add that living in my mind also means having a good "nest egg" or emergency funds in your savings account in case something goes wrong Living in an comfortable home "comfortable" does not necessarily mean big or fancy, in an area where you feel safe Having a fulfilling job that allows you time for relaxation and familyDH and I are comfortable.nbsp; We are not rich, and we do not live in a fancy home, but at the end of the day, we do not feel like we need anything more.nbsp; Our "want" list is a mile long though...lol....nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;
    I agree. Our lifestyle isn't extravagent and we are not what I would consider wealthy but we are comfortable.

This.  My DH and I live in a nice house, in a nice suburb of NYC with good schools and a fairly easy commute.  We bought a little above our means because we found the perfect house that fits our needs now and our needs down the road (as we envision them - things could change).  We can pay our bills, save a little in retirement accounts, I have a saving account that isn't huge, but can cover emergency repairs on the cars.  We're both still paying law school loans, and we have a mortgage and I have a car payment.  But we still eat out, I still buy shoes, and he still buys video games.  While we can't really afford a big vacation somewhere fantastic, like Greece or Bermuda, we can afford the long weekends away to nice bed and breakfasts.  Is it a perfect life?  No.  Is there more I would like out of it? Sure.  But if I'm honest, there really isn't a whole lot we either need or want that we can't have.  So to me, that is comfortable.  

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_bird2&T=t_b11&D=20131129&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Teddy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green
  • imageGTown08:

This.  My DH and I live in a nice house, in a nice suburb of NYC with good schools and a fairly easy commute.  We bought a little above our means because we found the perfect house that fits our needs now and our needs down the road (as we envision them - things could change).  We can pay our bills, save a little in retirement accounts, I have a saving account that isn't huge, but can cover emergency repairs on the cars.  We're both still paying law school loans, and we have a mortgage and I have a car payment.  But we still eat out, I still buy shoes, and he still buys video games.  While we can't really afford a big vacation somewhere fantastic, like Greece or Bermuda, we can afford the long weekends away to nice bed and breakfasts.  Is it a perfect life?  No.  Is there more I would like out of it? Sure.  But if I'm honest, there really isn't a whole lot we either need or want that we can't have.  So to me, that is comfortable.  

I have a funny feeling we live like 10 minutes apart. Surprise Though the vast majority of towns in the lower end of our county have great schools, so that doesn't really narrow it down! :)

Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• This is kinda hard for me because it's a daily discussion we have. My DH and I live comfortably now, have a good savings, go out to dinner, buy things we want, we dont worry about money right now...but we did just buy a brand new car and we have student loans. We're living in the city in a very nice apartment that we will stay in for at least 4 or 5 more years but were just renting. We are in a tough spot deciding if we should move to the suburbs when it's time for school or if I should go back to teaching and if I can get into a good school in the city, my kids will go for free. I'd also like to be at least a part time SAHM. So our idea of comfortable living will change once I have the baby and we need to figure out our next steps since I won't be going back to my current job. My DH has a great job but we want to keep up the vacations and all the other fun stuff so we have a lot to figure out.

My sweet girl Lilijana Jane 12/16/13
    View Full Size Image 
  • imageVCGolfNYC:
    imageGTown08:

This.  My DH and I live in a nice house, in a nice suburb of NYC with good schools and a fairly easy commute. 

I have a funny feeling we live like 10 minutes apart. Surprise Though the vast majority of towns in the lower end of our county have great schools, so that doesn't really narrow it down! :)

Um, gotta admit, I have that feeling too.  A little while back, you mentioned you might move to Connecticut, and I honestly thought, "but no!  Then you won't be my neighbor."  Creepy internet stalker here! :-)

And to be fair, most towns in the lower end of our county are ten minutes apart too, so I really only "know" that you live in one of 20 towns within a few miles of me :-) 

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_bird2&T=t_b11&D=20131129&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Teddy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green
  • I think not having to worry about whether your bills will get paid or how you will afford groceries would be living pretty comfortably.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageGTown08:
    imageVCGolfNYC:
    imageGTown08:

This.  My DH and I live in a nice house, in a nice suburb of NYC with good schools and a fairly easy commute. 

Um, gotta admit, I have that feeling too.  A little while back, you mentioned you might move to Connecticut, and I honestly thought, "but no!  Then you won't be my neighbor."  Creepy internet stalker here! :-)

And to be fair, most towns in the lower end of our county are ten minutes apart too, so I really only "know" that you live in one of 20 towns within a few miles of me :-) 

Perhaps we'll randomly be in the BBB on Central Ave at the same time. :-) It would be weird because you may recognize me from my siggy pics, but I would have no idea it's you! 

Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• imageVCGolfNYC:
    imageGTown08:
    imageVCGolfNYC:
    imageGTown08:

Perhaps we'll randomly be in the BBB on Central Ave at the same time. :-) It would be weird because you may recognize me from my siggy pics, but I would have no idea it's you! 

All you'll hear is "VCGOLF!!!!!" and see some random chick running at you.

• My answer is similar to others', but in more general terms, I think that I consider myself comfortable when:

-- if I get a cash gift from a relative, I can buy something indulgent rather than immediately having to apply it to bills or necessities;

-- living in a home that doesn't require a major compromise-- for me, this has meant a parking space, washer/dryer, and dishwasher;

-- the ability to grocery shop or go to a restaurant without worrying about going over budget. 

photo canthearyou_zpsae132d4c.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"