May 2013 Moms

Do you rock your baby to sleep for naps?

My baby is a really good night time sleeper and we are really lucky but I can't for the life of me get this kid to nap during the day. It would be fine if she wasn't overtired and cranky but she is.

I've tried rocking her to sleeping, feeding her to sleep, putting her to sleep after play. This time I put her in the PnP while she was awake but rubbing her eyes and held my hand on her until she fell asleep. It took about 10 minutes. I don't know if it will last because she's only been out for like 5 minutes.

How do you get your baby to nap?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BFP #1 19/08/2012 Due 03/05/2013 DD Born 05/05/2013
TTC #2 16/04/2014

Re: Do you rock your baby to sleep for naps?

• nola78nola78
    5000 Comments 25 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    It took me 2 hours yesterday to get DD to sleep. It took swaddling, food, rocking, and music. She's the opposite at night and will go to sleep without much effort. I'm hoping she'll get better as we get more of a routine established. I also think my timing was bad and I started trying to get her to go to sleep before she was really ready.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 1/10/12; EDD: 9/20/12, born too early on 5/7/12 (20w4d) due to IC/PTL/chorioamnionitis.
    BFP #2: 8/30/12; EDD: 5/9/13, emergency cerclage placed at 22w5d, dx cardiomyopathy, strict bed rest for 14 weeks. DD born at 39 weeks.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    All ALs always welcome
  • wjvwjv
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper

My son naps the longest when he is in his swing.  I know that people say not to let them nap a lot in the swing, but it works for us right now.  He gets the sleep he is fighting and then he is more pleasant.  Sometimes he falls asleep while feeding and I place him in the swing and other times I put him in the swing and turn on the music and mobile and he watches that and puts himself to sleep. 

My older son was the same way.  Eventually I sort of sleep trained him when he was a little older (maybe 4 months?) to sleep in his crib and he quickly caught on and started taking really long naps in his cribs.  I am hoping that the same will ring true for this boy!

Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will try absolutely anything! she is a terrible napper and fights sleep. Right now she is sleeping in her boppy in front of me. I sometimes have luck rocking her to sleep, though she usually wakes up when I put her down. Occasionally she'll sleep in her swing; she almost always falls asleep in her stroller or in the car, though that doesn't help me catch up on sleep! I also put her in the RnP and rock her with my foot while I'm pumping. In the early mornings she sleeps great in our bed with us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image nola78:
    It took me 2 hours yesterday to get DD to sleep. It took swaddling, food, rocking, and music. She's the opposite at night and will go to sleep without much effort. I'm hoping she'll get better as we get more of a routine established. I also think my timing was bad and I started trying to get her to go to sleep before she was really ready.

This is true for me too. Some days it's a battle. White noise seems to help. I have held her near the dryer while it was on then set up a loud fan next to the crib.
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • I bounce on an exercise ball or bounce her while walking around with her over my shoulder and sing to her. Sometimes I have to use white noise from the hood fan, shushing, white noise app on my phone or in the worst overtired cases the vacuum.

As soon as she starts looking kind of spaced out or is staring at an object for a while I take that as a cue to start bouncing her to sleep. I make sure to bounce her on the ball in an area that she can see a picture or something to focus on, same if I'm walking around I'll just bounce her while swaying back and forth in front of a picture or something on the wall for her to focus on.

Many times I'll nurse her to sleep for both naps and bedtime. I love nursing her down and singing to her but she won't let me every time.

Every day and every nap is a challenge though, but some days are way easier than others. She usually naps after being awake anywhere from 45 minutes to 1h45 minutes. If she wakes up not long after she falls asleep I pick her up and try bouncing her to sleep again.
    imageimage

• image nola78:

I feel like I spend all day trying to get this kid to nap.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1 19/08/2012 Due 03/05/2013 DD Born 05/05/2013
    TTC #2 16/04/2014
  • There are two things that she seems to really like, and those are going outside, and standing and bouncing a bit while being held up on DH's or my shoulder. Unfortunately, the deck is in full sun and way too hot during the day, but in the evenings, we take her out there to rock. Being outside in general seems to be her off switch and she will fall asleep out there. Rocking in the recliner is hit or miss, but more often a miss. The bouncing thing is really the only thing she seems to like at least semi consistently.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just like bedtime - swaddle, hat, paci, noise machine, dim lights.  I wait until he's obviously tired, lay him down, and walk away.  I will stand with a hand on him if he's fussing until he calms down, but if I stay there, he won't ever go to sleep.  Occasionally he'll feed to sleep and I'll hold him on my chest because I like cuddles/the kid needs to frickin' sleep!
    Congrats to my buddies Shazzie and Madeline10L on their little ladies!
  • delinodelino
    5000 Comments 100 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    I wait till she looks sleepy, which is typically around noon to 1:00. Then I swaddle and rock her. Sometimes she wants a paci and sometimes she wants a song. I also use white noise. Typically she goes down for 2 hours. Sometimes more and sometimes less. It's the same routine I use for bedtime except I swaddle her better.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
  • My baby falls asleep on her own, but if she is a little fussy and fighting sleep, I will just hold her in my arms until she's out and then place her down. I also sometimes have her sleep on my chest---it counts as tummy time!
  • Swing!! DS sleeps in his crib at night but takes 2 naps a day in the swing. 2hrs in the morning and 3hrs in the afternoon.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    TTC#2 - Shocked to get a BFP first postpartum cycle  
    Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo

• The only way I seem to get a decent nap out of him is with swaddling. Funny because up until a week ago I thought he hated swaddling, but I realized I didn't do it tight enough. The Miracle blanket has seriously changed the way he sleeps at night. During the day I've been using the SwaddleMe's and turn on his music or noise like at night, and lay him in his PnP which is where he sleeps at night in our room. I'm going to start laying him in his crib for naps to help him get used to it, but we actually still don't have a crib mattress lol. Sometimes it takes a little rocking if he's really fighting and the paci, but he doesn't really take pacis well. He usually falls asleep on his own when I lay him down. He can nap a good 2 and a half hours that way.

Otherwise it's 45min to 1hr naps in his swing or my arms.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • image KateRN08:
    image nola78:

I feel like I spend all day trying to get this kid to nap.

Oh how I feel your pain sister. As I'm sitting here trying and failing to get either of my kids to nap.
    [CENTER]

BabyFruit Ticker

My BFP Chart
    [/CENTER]
  • image jesselayne8:
    Swing!! DS sleeps in his crib at night but takes 2 naps a day in the swing. 2hrs in the morning and 3hrs in the afternoon.

Wow that sounds like heaven
    [CENTER]

BabyFruit Ticker

My BFP Chart
    [/CENTER]
  • b&e888b&e888
    250 Answers 500 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary
    I nurse to sleep if he has been awake for awhile, put him in the mamaroo with a pacifier and a lovie by his face when he's showing signs of tiredness (I remove it when he's asleep), or walk him around on my shoulder. Best of luck!
    View Full Size Image

• My guy will nurse to sleep but doesn't like to stay asleep. I am envious of those of you getting two hr or longer naps. I don't like to swaddle during the day cuz I feel like he's swaddled so much at night. But maybe I should try it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image
  • clw617clw617
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Love Its Name Dropper

It takes a bit of a production to put DS down for naps. I used to try the PnP in the living room during the day, but the slightest noise woke him up. So now we do the whole routine in his room -- lights off, white noise, swaddle, rock to sleep. It's the only way. The first time I did it, I got the most glorious 2+ hour nap out of him! And he's never done it again! Now it's like he won't nap longer than 30 minutes, no matter what. But I'm going to just keep at it and hope that he starts to lengthen his nap time on his own.

I'm envious of people who can get theirs to fall asleep in the swing. DS is not interested. For those whose LOs nap in the swing, do you put them in the swing awake and they just ease themselves to sleep without a fuss? Or do you wait until they're asleep and then put them in? Just curious.

• image NJAZgirl:
    My guy will nurse to sleep but doesn't like to stay asleep. I am envious of those of you getting two hr or longer naps. I don't like to swaddle during the day cuz I feel like he's swaddled so much at night. But maybe I should try it.

I agree, I felt the same exact way, until I tried laying him down to nap the other day and he would just keep waking up and fuss and I could just tell he was exhausted but fighting it. I gave up and swaddled him in a SwaddleMe and he went right down and slept for two and a half hours. Poor babe was SO tired. I actually ended up waking him haha. I figure the swaddling stage won't last forever so if that is how he sleeps happy then I'm going to do it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I feel your pain. I didn't realize how hard it would be to get a tired baby to fall asleep. 

Mine is an awesome night sleeper, but is also a fighter of the nap. I swear every day is different - what worked yesterday will likely not work today. What I do know is that I'm most successful when I don't try to initiate the nap before I know she's tired, but there's that fine line between tired and overtired that I sometimes cross and all hell breaks loose. 

She naps in the swing in the morning, then I'll nurse her to sleep in the afternoon in our bed. Sometimes I nap with her and sometimes I let her nap there alone. (She's in the middle of a king, she's not rolling off). I rarely rock her to sleep for naps, that's more of a night time thing for us. Sometimes we swaddle, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we give the pacifier, other times we don't. 

I just follow her cues and try to let her take the lead while not maintaining any sort of rigorous schedule. I hope it doesn't backfire on me later. 

(LO will be 7 weeks tomorrow) 

BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers