August 2012 Moms
Options

UO!!

Re: UO!!

• Options
    imageLiliDragon:
    imageCheerilee:
    Coffee isn't right without cream. We haven't been to the grocery store since getting back in town yesterday and my coffee is not the right color [:]

Trayvon Martin wasn't an angel who was shot based on skin color alone. Zimmerman didn't set out to kill him; the situatiom escalated. BOTH parties could have also handled the situation differently. I'm not saying Trayvon deserved to be shot. He didn't. But, there are two sides and none of us were there to know the entire story in it's entirety. The jury made their decision based on the evidence presented.

Both could have handled it differently. One is dead and the other gets off scott free. How is that justice?

Also make no mistake: the jury made their verdict based on the fact that a black person's life is worth less than a white person's life, and frankly that's disgusting. If this kid was white, we'd all be seeing a very different outcome. To think otherwise is in incredibly naive.

Zimmerman isn't white. He's Hispanic. Zimmerman did not get off Scott free. His life IS over. He won't be able to live life in the way he did before out of fear. The Black Panthers are also calling for his murder [which concerns no one].

If it had been white on white, black on black, or Hispanic on Hispanic... We wouldn't be hearing about this at all in the media. I do think the verdict would have been the same in these cases if each man was the same person, just different color.

I also don't think Zimmerman really meant to kill him. If he had, he'd have fired more than one shot. Most likely, he wanted to stop the beating. If Trayvon had beat Zimmerman to death, what would your feeling be, then?

Sanford, FL is not a safe city. My uncle lives there and he doesn't feel safe. There have been 3 murders in the last few years on his street. He carries and is always prepared to 'stand his ground' when he's in fear of his life.

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • Options
    imageBaker_Bride:
    imageBecc77:
    imageScout2005:

What TM did or did not do in the past is irrelevant, and the fact that it's being brought up here as some roundabout victim blaming is f'ucking infuriating.

Unbelievable folks. Seriously.

And BBJ, being called "stuck up" is a far cry from the N-word. And frankly, I doubt you daily feared for your life because someone said your daddy bought you a purse. Every 17 year old AA man in this country is right to be terrified for their safety right now. 

It's not even apples and oranges. It's apples and carburetors.  Not even in the same category.

Exactly. My UO is that I think if you have to list reasons you're not a racist, then you are probably a racist. 

You mean I can't prove I'm not racist by listing black friends I have? ;]

Or that you're not racist because you work with black people and eat your lunch at the same table with them (straight out of my grandpa's mouth, God rest his soul.) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageScout2005:

What TM did or did not do in the past is irrelevant, and the fact that it's being brought up here as some roundabout victim blaming is f'ucking infuriating.

And BBJ, being called "stuck up" is a far cry from the N-word. And frankly, I doubt you daily feared for your life because someone said your daddy bought you a purse. Every 17 year old AA man in this country is right to be terrified for their safety right now. 

It's not even apples and oranges. It's apples and carburetors.  Not even in the same category.

So, so, so agreed. People need to re-read what Lady T said. A white kid who smokes pot and gets in a fight in school is "LOL, oh teenagers!" while a black kid who does the same is a "THUG on DRUGS." I'm not just talking about this case, again, I worked in a school that specialized in reclaiming potential dropouts and this was a huge percentage of the population. They knew for a fact that if they ever mouthed off to someone on the bus or in the street the way their white peers did that they would face an entirely different level of consequence, just because their skin color made them "scary" to people. That's not even on the same plane of existence as people thinking you're stuck up because you're white.

Here's another good article I recently read on the subject, if anyone is interested. Fair warning, there is a horrible picture at the top of the article. 

https://gawker.com/the-zimmerman-jury-told-young-black-men-what-we-already-770650992 

AUGUST 2012 UNICORN

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageBecc77:
    imageBaker_Bride:
    imageBecc77:
    imageScout2005:

Exactly. My UO is that I think if you have to list reasons you're not a racist, then you are probably a racist. 

You mean I can't prove I'm not racist by listing black friends I have? ;]

Or that you're not racist because you work with black people and eat your lunch at the same table with them (straight out of my grandpa's mouth, God rest his soul.) 

Hey, my neighborhood is 75% AA. Does that count?  

Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    CRey13CRey13 member
    imageLiliDragon:
    Also make no mistake: the jury made their verdict based on the fact that a black person's life is worth less than a white person's life, and frankly that's disgusting. If this kid was white, we'd all be seeing a very different outcome. To think otherwise is in incredibly naive.

If he was white it probably wouldn't have made it past local news.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    imageAggieDaner:
    imageScout2005:

So, so, so agreed. People need to re-read what Lady T said. A white kid who smokes pot and gets in a fight in school is "LOL, oh teenagers!" while a black kid who does the same is a "THUG on DRUGS." I'm not just talking about this case, again, I worked in a school that specialized in reclaiming potential dropouts and this was a huge percentage of the population. They knew for a fact that if they ever mouthed off to someone on the bus or in the street the way their white peers did that they would face an entirely different level of consequence, just because their skin color made them "scary" to people. That's not even on the same plane of existence as people thinking you're stuck up because you're white.

Here's another good article I recently read on the subject, if anyone is interested. Fair warning, there is a horrible picture at the top of the article. 

https://gawker.com/the-zimmerman-jury-told-young-black-men-what-we-already-770650992 

You're amazing for working with teenagers. I don't think I would be any good at it but I am sure glad someone is! 

• Options
    I think allot of minds will be changed when their child/ren are called mutts or wetbacks or some other derogatory term. I truly hope that never happens to their children and try to figure out what your child did to cause it. I hope when your child comes home of the bus you don't say well what did you do first. I hope you have the same empathy for your child the way you stand up for the 'law'.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MoFreeMoFree member

imageCheerilee:
    imageLiliDragon:
    imageCheerilee:
    Coffee isn't right without cream. We haven't been to the grocery store since getting back in town yesterday and my coffee is not the right color [:] Trayvon Martin wasn't an angel who was shot based on skin color alone. Zimmerman didn't set out to kill him; the situatiom escalated. BOTH parties could have also handled the situation differently. I'm not saying Trayvon deserved to be shot. He didn't. But, there are two sides and none of us were there to know the entire story in it's entirety. The jury made their decision based on the evidence presented.
    Both could have handled it differently. One is dead and the other gets off scott free. How is that justice? Also make no mistake: the jury made their verdict based on the fact that a black person's life is worth less than a white person's life, and frankly that's disgusting. If this kid was white, we'd all be seeing a very different outcome. To think otherwise is in incredibly naive.
    Zimmerman isn't white. He's Hispanic. Zimmerman did not get off Scott free. His life IS over. He won't be able to live life in the way he did before out of fear. The Black Panthers are also calling for his murder [which concerns no one]. If it had been white on white, black on black, or Hispanic on Hispanic... We wouldn't be hearing about this at all in the media. I do think the verdict would have been the same in these cases if each man was the same person, just different color. I also don't think Zimmerman really meant to kill him. If he had, he'd have fired more than one shot. Most likely, he wanted to stop the beating. If Trayvon had beat Zimmerman to death, what would your feeling be, then? Sanford, FL is not a safe city. My uncle lives there and he doesn't feel safe. There have been 3 murders in the last few years on his street. He carries and is always prepared to 'stand his ground' when he's in fear of his life.

If George Zimmerman's life is 'over,' as you state, it was his choice to ignore the advice of the dispatcher and pursue an unarmed teenager.  Are you equating his life being over the way Treyvon Martin's life is over?  What an insensitive, offensive comment.  I can't respond any more in a respectful way. 

TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imageScout2005:

Actually, yea, I did. I went to a school in Detroit my sophomore year and was bullied every single day for being "the rich white girl." I wasn't rich at all, but I was working, so I had nice things. I was in physical fights every single week because a girl in my class (who was AA) would randomly grab me by my hair and "teach me a lesson in real life." My stepmom had to pick me up from the office every day when school was out because if I stood outside, I'd be ganged up on in a few minutes. I had my locker spraypainted, my clothes taken out of my gym locker, food randomly thrown at me at lunch. A girl told me she was going to "cut my pretty little face." Yea. I did daily fear for my life.

I switched schools when I moved back in with my mom, thankfully. I'm just saying if something were to happen and I were to be in GZ's position, someone would look at that past, that one single year in my life, and probably say I had a problem with AA people, which is far, far from the truth. 

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    Holy shiit.

George Zimmerman started the whole fiasco. Had he stayed put, like he was told, the police would have handled the situation as they saw necessary and none of this would have ever been brought to light. But instead, he actively followed and pursued Trayvon Martin because, zomg! A black kid in a hoodie! And then he killed him.

I think both parties were scared and I think both were acting in self defense. But one of them is dead. Zimmerman's life is not over because, well, he's still here. I don't really give a if his quality of life is never the same. It shouldn't be.

It's pretty disturbing to hear someone say that justice was served and the law was upheld. Why don't you go stand in front of Trayvon's parents and say that?

• Options

imagelady_tytah:
    I think allot of minds will be changed when their child/ren are called mutts or wetbacks or some other derogatory term. I truly hope that never happens to their children and try to figure out what your child did to cause it. I hope when your child comes home of the bus you don't say well what did you do first. I hope you have the same empathy for your child the way you stand up for the 'law'.

I call myself a mutt because I am all these different things. Is that offensive? Oops. I do kinda get offended by gypped because my Gma was a gypsy from Hungary. She was convinced she'd been kidnapped and it was her dying wish to go to Hungary to find her biomom. She was a loon and looked exactly like her mother.  *** refers to Hungarians too. H calls Howell a "mick" which is a derogatory name for Irish people. I tell him not to all the time even though that is most of what he is (37.5%).  

• Options

imagepoppyseed1017:
    Holy shiit. George Zimmerman started the whole fiasco. Had he stayed put, like he was told, the police would have handled the situation as they saw necessary and none of this would have ever been brought to light. But instead, he actively followed and pursued Trayvon Martin because, zomg! A black kid in a hoodie! And then he killed him. I think both parties were scared and I think both were acting in self defense. But one of them is dead. Zimmerman's life is not over because, well, he's still here. I don't really give a if his quality of life is never the same. It shouldn't be. It's pretty disturbing to hear someone say that justice was served and the law was upheld. Why don't you go stand in front of Trayvon's parents and say that?

Nice to "see" you.  

• Options
    imageBaker_Bride:

imagelady_tytah:

I call myself a mutt because I am all these different things. Is that offensive? Oops. I do kinda get offended by gypped because my Gma was a gypsy from Hungary. She was convinced she'd been kidnapped and it was her dying wish to go to Hungary to find her biomom. She was a loon and looked exactly like her mother.  *** refers to Hungarians too. H calls Howell a "mick" which is a derogatory name for Irish people. I tell him not to all the time even though that is most of what he is (37.5%).  

Yes, it is. Some ppl have no issue with it. Others do. Just like some have no issue with the word nappy but others do.
  • Options
    imagemlynne37wiu:
    imageBaker_Bride:

I call myself a mutt because I am all these different things. Is that offensive?

Me, too.  I always tell people I'm a mutt because I'm Irish, German, Czech, Polish, and Indian.  I didn't realize it was offensive.  I'm sure it would be if I used it to talk about someone else, but I don't feel bad for saying it about myself.

Lately I've taken to conglomerate. I'm a conglomerate. It sounds ominous like no one should mess with me. I'm equal parts Irish, Polis, Swedish and Hungarian. 

• Options
    Or cocktail. That is a nice way to look at it and mixing genes is certainly a cocktail. Maybe I spent too much time in the shaker when my genes were mixed because I am having too much fun with this. 

• Options
    imageCLeigh03:

imageBaker_Bride:
    I don't like chocolate on chocolate...like chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips. The cake thing I can sometimes do but it has to be perfect.

That's funny! I loooove chocolate on chocolate! 

I do too!
  • Options
    imageMoFree:

imageCheerilee:
    imageLiliDragon:
    imageCheerilee:
    Coffee isn't right without cream. We haven't been to the grocery store since getting back in town yesterday and my coffee is not the right color [:]

Trayvon Martin wasn't an angel who was shot based on skin color alone. Zimmerman didn't set out to kill him; the situatiom escalated. BOTH parties could have also handled the situation differently. I'm not saying Trayvon deserved to be shot. He didn't. But, there are two sides and none of us were there to know the entire story in it's entirety. The jury made their decision based on the evidence presented.

Both could have handled it differently. One is dead and the other gets off scott free. How is that justice?

Zimmerman isn't white. He's Hispanic. Zimmerman did not get off Scott free. His life IS over. He won't be able to live life in the way he did before out of fear. The Black Panthers are also calling for his murder [which concerns no one].

If it had been white on white, black on black, or Hispanic on Hispanic... We wouldn't be hearing about this at all in the media. I do think the verdict would have been the same in these cases if each man was the same person, just different color.

I also don't think Zimmerman really meant to kill him. If he had, he'd have fired more than one shot. Most likely, he wanted to stop the beating. If Trayvon had beat Zimmerman to death, what would your feeling be, then?

Sanford, FL is not a safe city. My uncle lives there and he doesn't feel safe. There have been 3 murders in the last few years on his street. He carries and is always prepared to 'stand his ground' when he's in fear of his life.

If George Zimmerman's life is 'over,' as you state, it was his choice to ignore the advice of the dispatcher and pursue an unarmed teenager.  Are you equating his life being over the way Treyvon Martin's life is over?  What an insensitive, offensive comment.  I can't respond any more in a respectful way. 

Oh good grief. Of course I don't mean it in the same way. Life as he knows it is done. It is likely that if he ventures out into the street at the wrong time, he'll be shot; especially with a bounty on his head.

We elect the law makers. Zimmerman was not outside the law. The end. I'm going to work, now.

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • Options
    imageLiliDragon:
    imageCheerilee:
    imageLiliDragon:
    imageCheerilee:

1. I am well aware that Zimmerman isn't white...but he is whiter than Trayvon.

2. The fact that this city is unsafe is not surprising to me. You can murder anyone you like and all you have to do is make sure no one sees so you can call if "self defence" and there is no punishment.

3. The fact that Zimmerman's life is over is debatable. If, however, he is ostracized by his community or has to move somewhere else, that's a very small price to pay. I believe if you asked most people if they'd rather be dead or move, they'd pick the former.

ITA. Well said.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

The real question is, if TM's skin were lighter, would he still be alive? I absolutely think so. That makes it a racially driven bigoted case. And now I will say no more. I get too worked up over these discussions. 

Edited  

• Options
    imageJnmac83:
    I don't like Indian food and I only like Mexican food a couple times a year.

That's a crime! I could eat
    Mexican everyday!! Yum
  • Options
    imagebigbootyjudi:
    imageScout2005:

Actually, yea, I did. I went to a school in Detroit my sophomore year and was bullied every single day for being "the rich white girl." I wasn't rich at all, but I was working, so I had nice things. I was in physical fights every single week because a girl in my class (who was AA) would randomly grab me by my hair and "teach me a lesson in real life." My stepmom had to pick me up from the office every day when school was out because if I stood outside, I'd be ganged up on in a few minutes. I had my locker spraypainted, my clothes taken out of my gym locker, food randomly thrown at me at lunch. A girl told me she was going to "cut my pretty little face." Yea. I did daily fear for my life.

I switched schools when I moved back in with my mom, thankfully. I'm just saying if something were to happen and I were to be in GZ's position, someone would look at that past, that one single year in my life, and probably say I had a problem with AA people, which is far, far from the truth. 

BBJ, I'm sorry you went through this. In certain schools here, Hispanic children bully non Hispanic children NO MATTER the race. Same goes for non Hispanic teachers. No one stops it. If the tables were turned, though, something would come of it. No one looks at that aspect of racism, though, only light skinned people are racist, it seems.

• Options
    I think Florida needs new lawmakers and prosecutors. I don't understand how both Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman can get away with murdering children. It disgusts me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageCbarajas08:
    I think Florida needs new lawmakers and prosecutors. I don't understand how both Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman can get away with murdering children. It disgusts me.

Yyyeesss!!!!
  • Options
    imageBaker_Bride:
    The real question is, if TM's skin were lighter, would he still be alive? I absolutely think so. That makes it a racially driven bigoted case. And now I will say no more. I get too worked up over these discussions.nbsp;Edited nbsp;

Hold all other facts constant and change skin color, I think the same would have happened. If a white kid met the description of a member of a group of boys robbing houses, I think GZ would have still followed. If a white teen had begun to bash his head in, I think he would have used his gun. White kids can look 'thug' too. If I'm somewhere alone after dark, I avoid crossing people who look a certain way regardless of color. I avoid them where GZ felt he needed to follow him as a responsibility of his neighborhood watch duties. GZ gives me no reason to think he acted based on color alone.

• Options
    imageCheerilee:
    imagebigbootyjudi:
    imageScout2005:

BBJ, I'm sorry you went through this. In certain schools here, Hispanic children bully non Hispanic children NO MATTER the race. Same goes for non Hispanic teachers. No one stops it. If the tables were turned, though, something would come of it. No one looks at that aspect of racism, though, only light skinned people are racist, it seems.

I think you two are doing a great job of reinforcing my UO with your asinine comments.

• Options
    imagelady_tytah:

This brought tears to my eyes, I can't imagine that happening to my child. Lady t well said.
  • Options
    imageCheerilee:
    imagebigbootyjudi:
    imageScout2005:

Cheerilee, you are digging a hole my dear.

Bullying happens.  It's a crappy part of life and good parents need to teach their children to be compassionate and stand up for the underdogs to compensate for the kids who are the bullies.  Kids can be MEAN.

This, however, was not bullying so it's a moot point.  

• Options
    imageLiliDragon:
    imageCheerilee:
    imagebigbootyjudi:
    imageScout2005:

Oh, come on Cheer. You are smarter than this! It is not the individuals that are the problem here. The SYSTEM is racist. Of course Hispanics bully, so do white kids, so do ALL kids. That's not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is that a black person died and no one was punished. Completely irrespective of Zimmerman's race. The KID'S race was the issue here.

I just don't believe the issue was RACE! It's the law. Change it if you don't like it. GZ was within his lawful rights to defend himself based on stand your ground as determined by a jury of his peers. Was what he did moral! No. But it was legal. We don't make legal decisions based on morality. We make them based on written law.

• Options
    imagegollywollypog:
    imageCheerilee:
    imagebigbootyjudi:
    imageScout2005:

Bullying happens.  It's a crappy part of life and good parents need to teach their children to be compassionate and stand up for the underdogs to compensate for the kids who are the bullies.  Kids can be MEAN.

I'm comfortable in my hole because I believe in my POV ::mobile wink::

And no, it's not bullying. I was responding to BBJ who was told her bullying experiences weren't the same because she's white and doesn't know how it is.

• Options
    amaiteamaite member
    There is a pretty big difference between being the victim of the racism or prejudice of individuals on isolated occasions, and being the victim of a racist society and institutionalized racism. Trayvon seems to have been the victim of both.

Also, Hispanic is not a race. Hispanic people come in all different races, and racism is a big problem in hispanic countries too.
  • Options
    imageLiliDragon:
    imageCheerilee:
    imagebigbootyjudi:
    imageScout2005:

Oh, come on Cheer. You are smarter than this! It is not the individuals that are the problem here. The SYSTEM is racist. Of course Hispanics bully, so do white kids, so do ALL kids. That's not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is that a black person died and no one was punished. Completely irrespective of Zimmerman's race. The KID'S race was the issue here.
      Right.  The raw facts show that the justice system is biased against black men with arrests, convictions and time served.  Study after study has shown this.  Statistics back it up.  https://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/30/770501/study-black-defendants-are-at-least-30-more-likely-to-be-imprisoned-than-white-defendants-for-the-same-crime/

• Options
    imageCheerilee:
    imagegollywollypog:
    imageCheerilee:
    imagebigbootyjudi:
    imageScout2005:

I'm comfortable in my hole because I believe in my POV ::mobile wink::

And no, it's not bullying. I was responding to BBJ who was told her bullying experiences weren't the same because she's white and doesn't know how it is.

Well she doesn't. Just as a person African descent doesn't know what it's like to be the only white girl on the block. Or a man doesn't know what it's like to have to work twice as hard as a woman and still get paid less. We face our own prejudices. H and his friends were frequently accosted by the police. They would ask him, "Why do you hang around kids like that?" indicating the black kids. Racial profiling at its finest in the Good Ole Land of Lincoln.

• Options
    imageLiliDragon:

I'm not going to get into the fact that our laws are based on "natural law" which is, in fact, a moral code...rather I'm going to say this: how, pray tell, am I going to change the law? That's what needs to be done, absolutely. I don't have that jurisdiction, but trust if I did, I would change it.

ETA: I don't think most Americans would take kindly to a Canadian telling them how to run their country. I watched Peirs Morgan try that. You generally don't take kindly to foreigners spouting off. Even if these foreigners do come from countries where the crime rate is basically zilch. Toronto's "Summer of the Gun" saw like 23 people shot and we were like, losing our sh!t over here. That's like a Tuesday in some places.

Tree trimmed.

I meant that as a collective you ::mobile smiley:: Americans like to get up in arms about laws and politics then don't research their ballot or even vote.

And I'd be ok voting for a Canadian. Canada seems pretty cool. It's way different than the US it seems based on what I've learned here. I actually have been wanting to ask questions about it all but today's not the day since I'm among the UO hated at the moment.

• Options
    imageamaite:
    There is a pretty big difference between being the victim of the racism or prejudice of individuals on isolated occasions, and being the victim of a racist society and institutionalized racism. Trayvon seems to have been the victim of both.

Also, Hispanic is not a race. Hispanic people come in all different races, and racism is a big problem in hispanic countries too.

Truth about Hispanics. I told my friend there wasn't anywhere good to buy tortillas because there isn't a large Mexican population in DC and she said there is a huge Hispanic population. True there is a large Latin American population but mostly from El Salvador. Duh!

• Options
    amaiteamaite member
    imageBaker_Bride:
    imageamaite:

Truth about Hispanics. I told my friend there wasn't anywhere good to buy tortillas because there isn't a large Mexican population in DC and she said there is a huge Hispanic population. True there is a large Latin American population but mostly from El Salvador. Duh!

I was referring to the different races that make up "hispanic", not the different nationalities.

That being said, I love salvadoran tortillas!
  • Options
    I will give plenty of examples of how the law is not for AA ppl.
    Marissa Alexander shoots warning shoot at her abusive husband in self defense. She got sentenced to 20 yrs in prison. Same so called 'stand your ground' as Zimmerman.
    A 13 yr old was taking out his trash and was shot. He tried to run back home and died holding his chest.
    A 17 yr old was in a suv st a gas station. The vehicle was blaring music. An older white couple says he felt threatened by the music and shoot up the car. The boy died.
    Can you guess what verdict the latter two cases got for their children dying while doing nothing. Acquitted.
    If you can really say that the.law and the courts are fair then you should do your research.
    Lets count how many black kids are beaten and stuffed in trashcans. Another case, 5/6 yr old found in a trashcan next door to her house.
    The Courts aren't fair to AA ppl.
  • Options
    imagelady_tytah:
    I will give plenty of examples of how the law is not for AA ppl.
    Marissa Alexander shoots warning shoot at her abusive husband in self defense. She got sentenced to 20 yrs in prison. Same so called 'stand your ground' as Zimmerman.
    A 13 yr old was taking out his trash and was shot. He tried to run back home and died holding his chest.
    A 17 yr old was in a suv st a gas station. The vehicle was blaring music. An older white couple says he felt threatened by the music and shoot up the car. The boy died.
    Can you guess what verdict the latter two cases got for their children dying while doing nothing. Acquitted.
    If you can really say that the.law and the courts are fair then you should do your research.
    Lets count how many black kids are beaten and stuffed in trashcans. Another case, 5/6 yr old found in a trashcan next door to her house.
    The Courts aren't fair to AA ppl.

Just in case anyone thought we'd come a long way from the 60's.

• Options

I'm a little late to this party, but I'll share my two cents.

Given the evidence in a court of law, the jury could not have convicted him for murder. Manslaughter, maybe, but I don't pretend to know how that works. It comes down to who can pay a good lawyer. Sadly, TM is dead, so the prosecution is working for the state, making way less than GZ's lawyer.

But it's quite ignorant to say that TM is not dead because of racial profiling.

SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagekream823:

imageamaite:
    There is a pretty big difference between being the victim of the racism or prejudice of individuals on isolated occasions, and being the victim of a racist society and institutionalized racism. Trayvon seems to have been the victim of both. Also, Hispanic is not a race. Hispanic people come in all different races, and racism is a big problem in hispanic countries too.

True story.

I probably shouldn't get involved in this bc I'm obviously a newbie, but this whole thing, I just can't help myself.

I am white. I am also hispanic, and I check both boxes on forms or whatever because that's what is true for me. I silently rage inside when people throw out that GW isn't white, as if it has some sort of bearing on whether or not he is/isn't prejudiced against African Americans, or if it's supposed to somehow absolve the police for not thoroughly investigating the death of an unarmed AA child. GZ has a Peruvian mother and his father isn't. Does it matter if he identifies himself as white, or hispanic, or both? It doesn't change that he put in motion a series of events that caused the death of a child because he thought that child looked "suspicious".

Nicely put.  

• Options
    imageScout2005:
    What TM did or did not do in the past is irrelevant, and the fact that it's being brought up here as some roundabout victim blaming is f'ucking infuriating.Unbelievable folks. Seriously.And BBJ, being called "stuck up" is a far cry from the Nword. And frankly, I doubt you daily feared for your life because someone said your daddy bought you a purse. Every 17 year old AA man in this country is right to be terrified for their safety right now.nbsp;It's not even apples and oranges. It's apples and carburetors.nbsp; Not even in the same category.

:slow clap:

Believe it or not I completely agree with you on this issue.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"