October 2013 Moms

fifth disease

I just got a phone call that I may have been exposed to fifth disease from a little boy attending a baby shower I went to on Sunday. CDC website says that it's transmitted through saliva and nasal secretions, but can be passed through the placenta as well, so there is a chance the baby could be affected, but less issues occur after 1st trimester. I'm waiting to hear back from my provider, the nurse on the call line did say I would need a blood draw to test for it. 

Has anybody had any experience with this? 

July Siggy Challenge: Babies Are Not Dogs
                                                  imageimageimageimageimage
                                                         NEVER FORGET

Re: fifth disease

• Did he kiss on you or wipe snot on you??

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just went through this with family members (niece and nephews) who had it. I was exposed to them before they broke out in the rash--so basically during the contagious time.

I called my OB who had me come in for a blood test. From the blood test they can tell if you've ever had it or not. They're repeating the blood test 4 weeks from the 1st one too. ETA--I was negative for it and have never had it. So that's why they're repeating the blood test...just to make sure it I didnt get it.

I'd call and tell them. At this point it's not likely that it would affect the baby, but Better safe than sorry. 

• image HFrizzle:
    Did he kiss on you or wipe snot on you??

No. In fact, I was nowhere near him. I really don't think I have anything to worry about, but better safe than sorry- you know? 

NEVER FORGET

• I had it when I was in high school. For me, I got little red bumps one day when I went from an extremely hot to cold place; it was over the summer, so hot Virginia summer AC= red dots. That's really all I remember about it, and it wasn't that big of a issue. But, I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it since your pregnant. I know it's in the same family as chicken pocks, but at least in my experience wasn't nearly as bad. No itching...just tiny dots.

Hope this helps!
  • Wait so fifth disease is little red bumps right? Do they itch at all? Do they go away?

Pregnancy%20ticker

Married since September 12th 2011. DH:26 Me:21 +HPT#1: 09/09/2012 EDD: 05/15/2013 MMC: 10/06/2012
    +HPT#2: 01/27/2013 EDD: 10/03/2013 ITS A BOY!!!
  • For me, they didn't itch at all. Just small, red bumps that formed into a rash. It went away, and I never had it come back again.
  • image MaddyV0911:
    Wait so fifth disease is little red bumps right? Do they itch at all? Do they go away?

yeah for kids it's no big deal. just a rash.  for fetus it can be not so great. 

NEVER FORGET

• Common child hood illness, simple parvovirus blood test results in about 48hours
    BFP 11/24/2012 - EDD 08/02/2012 - MC 11/28/2012 @ 4w5d
  • anskipanskip
    250 Love Its 100 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It came up in my initial bloodwork which means I wa exposed to it at some point. I teach young ones, which is why they included it in my bloodwork. My dr told me that since O had already had it, I was immune from it and would pass that on to my little lady.

GL!! Hope you didn't catch it!
  • I was exposed to it at 12 weeks by one of my students. I called the dr and was told I they would draw blood if I wanted them to. I went to get the bloodwork even though I was sure I had it as a child. The results came back that I had no sign of exposure by the student and was immune from when I had it before. I was with this student multiple days in the contagious stage. I am sure your bloodwork will be negative, but the peace of mind is great.