February 2013 Moms

Breastfeeding journey

So DS is having a mini nursing strike, which has made me all mushy about my breastfeeding journey. I write about it here: http://lifeimperfected.blogspot.com/2013/07/my-breastfeeding-journey.html

What is your journey like? 

imageimageimage

Re: Breastfeeding journey

• I agree with you in regards to it being "our" time.
    Breastfeeding started out rough for me. I knew I wanted to breastfeed because that's what my mom and sisters did. When I had DS, the experience was overwhelming; the put him in my arms and told me to try nursing him and I ha no clue what to do. The second night in the hospital was me in tears because I was a human pacifier. The first week was met with mastitis. Needless to say, I really started questioning the whole breastfeeding experience.
    I don't really know when things changed for me, but I truly enjoy it now. With the school year looming over my head now, my previous plans of stopping at 6 months makes me sad. I already worry about DS not being clingy with me anymore once school starts. I really don't want to give up on this guaranteed time when he can bond with me.

View Full Size Image  image  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • SagenSagen
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper

My last baby has been the hardest expierence of all. With my first it was painful at first but we got it down with in a few weeks. I she weaned about 14 months when I became pregnant with my second. With my second I had a bit of over supply, but a week of block nursing did the trick. I weaned him about 13 month when I became pregnant with my third. By the time my third came around I was an old pro. He had pretty bad jaundice at first and needed billi lights a few days after coming home from the hospital. I remember rocking him, crying because he would not nurse, just sleep. Once he got treatment for jaundice everything was just fine. Then I was done with my crew, three kids and we are good. When my last was almost 5 I gave birth to this LO, who was planned, and very much wanted (we just changed our minds on being done. So surely I would have breastfeeding in the bag right? Wrong!

I am not sure what in the world happened but I have over supply like mad. I didn't even pump! I block fed, but nothing helped. Then he got a cold and not only was a choking him with vast amounts of milk, but he could hardly breath. He use to hate nursing, and so did I. It would choke and gasp every time he ate. I would nurse laying down with him on top of me. I felt so bad when he was gassy or sad, I new he probably had way too much foremilk. Then I did the fully drained block nursing, which helped a little. You pump till you feel empty, then block nurse. It is believed that "milk lakes" are pools of milk making it so your body doesn't get the full signal, so fully draining helps. When I did that I pumped 5 ounces on one side and 6 on the other, it took under ten minutes with one pump (not a double) to get 11oz! Eventually he started being able to keep up, and I stopped making enough milk for twins or triplets, and we have had a great time since. I use to feel so bad when he would choke and gag on my fast letdown, and I was so close to weaning many times. I am glad I stuck it out, because I really love to nurse now. I will miss it when he is done.

Sept Sig, favorite movie

Mom to 4 cute kids! 10 yo girl 8 yo boy 6 yo boy and a 1.5 yo boy!
  • Lovely! I love nursing too. For us, it actually was easy even in the beginning. Sure, I was pretty much on the couch 24/7 for the first few weeks, but I love reading so that was fine with me. :) Now that he's so much more efficient, I actually miss those lazy days!

I feel the same way about the MOTN feedings as you do. It's hard to wake up, but I love holding him while he's half asleep, looking at his sweet little face, dozing off with him in my arms... :) It's the best.

And I don't mean this to offend anyone, because I know everyone does things their way and has their reasons, but I really don't think I could be a mother and not breastfeed. So much of my "mothering" is tied into nursing. It's so much more than just food for him. It's comfort, love, connection, quiet time, Ambien (lol), pain reliever... And for me, it's automatic chill-out time, not to mention the rush of oxytocin. :P 

• image musicalmama5:

And I don't mean this to offend anyone, because I know everyone does things their way and has their reasons, but I really don't think I could be a mother and not breastfeed. So much of my "mothering" is tied into nursing. It's so much more than just food for him. It's comfort, love, connection, quiet time, Ambien (lol), pain reliever... And for me, it's automatic chill-out time, not to mention the rush of oxytocin. :P 

I'm not offended, but I assure you that you *could* be a mother without breastfeeding. It would be an adjustment, but you would figure it out, and your bond with DS would be just as strong. I nursed DD1 for over 2 years. I was actually still nursing her when DD2 was born. It was a huge part of motherhood for me, so I totally get where you're coming from. Then DD2 was born and she started to get sick and vomit after every feeding. She was admitted to the NICU on day 6 of her life. That same day, I got a call from the State of California telling me to stop breastfeeding her immediately. The newborn screening test had revealed a rare, metabolic condition that made it impossible for her to process lactose. Obviously, I had to switch immediately to soy formula and do everything totally different the second time around. I went through a slight mourning period because I was upset that I wouldn't be able to nurse this time, but I got over it by the time we left the NICU.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image musicalmama5:

I am going to try to be nice about this and I really hope that you are able to successfully breastfeed any future children but not all babies are able to breastfeed despite extensive effort.  My first could not and continues to have feeding issues to this day.  Guess what.  I am still a really AWESOME  mom to her and when I held her with her bottle, it was still comfort, love,quiet time, chill out time... 

Being a mother is about SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more than breastfeeding. 

• I think she was simply saying that for her it is a huge part of motherhood.  I think she was very respectful in the way she stated it.  I'm sure mothers who bed share feel the same about bed sharing but that doesn't make me feel like they are saying something is wrong with me for not.  Every one is entitled to love whatever part of motherhood they want.  It doesn't mean they are disrespecting others.
  • I absolutely meant nothing bad by my comments! I'm very aware of the reasons that some babies have to be formula fed, and kudos to all the mommies for doing what their babies need. 

I just know that for me (and admittedly my mothering experience is very short, just 4.5 months), breastfeeding is huge. And I love it and didn't realize how passionate I would become about it.