Breastfeeding

Milk not fatty enough?

Sorry I accidentally deleted.

My supply is fine... I'm producing about 30 oz a day. I was producing more but I dropped a pump. I can add in more pumps if I need to but she's taking like 7 oz bottles and never seeming satisfied. She is constantly eating her hands and will always take the bottle. Probably normal right? Is it possible for breast milk to not be fatty enough if I pump too infrequently. She used to be satisfied on 3 oz before I dropped the pump but she's obviously getting older too. Can my diet impact fattiness?

I EP and always pump empty and do compressions.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Milk not fatty enough?

• image EmpireMomof3:
    First, why did you delete and repost? or am I imagining things?nbsp;AmyG will hopefully read this and give you a detailed response. She's the expert on knowing if overpumping = less fatty milk. I think your little girl is just fine with wanting more as she's probably hitting a growth spurt. nbsp;

It's at the top of my post that accidentally deleted it. On mobile if you hit delete it doesn't ask you to confirm and my thumb hit it. Trust me I'm not a deleter haha.
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary

Pumping frequency (unless you are going like way overboard or not pumping till empty) doesn't affect the fattiness in your milk.  Neither does your diet.  The cool thing is your body knows what baby needs & that's what it puts in your BM.  If you aren't eating enough of a certain type of food, your body suffers before baby's does.

From your ticker, it looks like your LO is 2 months old.  7 oz. is a TON of milk for a two month old.  The most my 9 month old has ever takes is 5 oz. and he usually only takes 4oz.  4-6 is pretty common.

Babies actually start the hand eating thing where it doesn't mean hunger around 2-3 months, so it might be that she's just eating her hand because she can rather than because she's hungry.  Or she could be going through a growth spurt.

How often is she eating? 

Maybe try giving her say 2 to 3 oz., burping really well, giving another 1- 2oz , burping, then offering a paci to see if she still fusses like she's hungry.  It might be that she's fussing because she has gas or feels full rather than because she's still hungry. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• 7 oz bottles is a LOT for a 2 month old. Are the bottles paced and slow enough for her to recognize she is full? Also, most babies that age will take a bottle whenever if they want to just suck. Have you tried a pacifier?

TTC #1 in Jan 2011, Annovulation suspected due to high glucose levels, started Metformin Sept 2011

BFP #1 01/27/2012, MC @ 5 wks

BFP #2 04/08/2012, EDD 12/19/2012, DD born 12/15/2012  

TTC#2 after AF returned in Jan 2014

BFP #3 04/15/2014  EDD 12/26/2014

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I use Tommee Tippee bottles and they definitely are faster than the playtex ones I was using before but the playtex were so slow she was falling asleep after an ounce.

I do think she uses the bottle as a pacifier sometimes because she won't actually be sucking on it after a while, she just likes it in her mouth. She only takes a pacifier when she's really tired.

Today her feedings have been:

630 3oz
    900 6.5oz
    11 5.5oz

She totals about 30 plus ounces in a day. She does sleep thought the night.
  • Do you stop and burp during feedings or take little breaks between ounces? Are you holding the bottle close to parallel with the floor?

• image linzeek44:
    Do you stop and burp during feedings or take little breaks between ounces? Are you holding the bottle close to parallel with the floor?

Probably not parallel with the floor. Yes I always burp every ounce because she's a heavy spitter.
  • AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer

milk really doesn't become "low fat" although pumping more frequently will help the milk to be fattier as the fat doesn't have as much time to separate out and stick to the walls of the ducts.

A breastfed baby takes in about 25 oz a day.  the range is 19-30 oz and at 30 oz you are at the top end of that.  At 2 mos old, baby should still be eating about 6-8 or more times a day, and you should try to pump that often to keep your supply more closely meeting their needs. 

um, 7 oz is way overfeeding.  a grown up serving size of milk is 8 oz, eh?  So babies usually stay below that, and many formula fed babies would stay way below that until much closer to 6 mos and starting solids.

If baby is eating 7 oz at a time, that is only a need for about 4 feedings a day.  Baby should eat more often than that IMHO. 

your example shows amounts of less than 7 oz, but even 5.5 oz is more than most bf babies take in at a feeding until they are over 6 mos and taking in solids and STTN.  at 5.5 oz a feeding, baby only needs to eat about 5 times a day.

How many times a day baby is fed is important for a few reasons, metabolizm, preventing overeating/stretching out stomach/spitting up, as well as allowing baby enough time to  get their sucking needs taken care of.

A normal sized bottle should take at least 20 minutes to give.  The bottle nipple should be slow flow and not leak when you hold it upside down unless you squeeze on the nipple.  if you are giving huge bottles in 20 minutes or less, you need to slow down a ton.

yes at this age there is a growth spurt, usually at about 3 mos of age and they may eat more during a growth spurt, but this sounds like it's been going on for longer than that?  during a growth spurt they don't usually take in a lot more oz at a time, but they eat way more often.

I would take the bottles and break them up and feed them more often.  If baby is STTN that means 8? hours of non-eating, right?  so that means in 16 hours baby is taking in 30 oz, which is more than the average 1 oz per hour(1.875oz per hour).  feeding 6-8 times within the 16 hours would equate to feeding every 2-2 hrs 40 minutes and the amount should be about 3.75-5 oz. So the 5.5 oz isn't totaly OUT THERE for amount, but the 7 oz certainly is LARGE. Lots of spitting up with a 7 oz bottle = overfeeding most of the time.

As baby gets older they will chew on their hands and get fussy and it has absolutely nothing to do with hunger. I would make sure you are dealing with hunger pains, rather than assuming that you are dealing with hunger.

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.

• A baby that age should not be taking 5.5-6.5 ounces in a feeding. 

Make LO work for the milk from the bottles- -- hold them so the nipple is parallel to the floor or lower, not so the milk is dripping into babies mouth. Baby should still have to work for the milk, and sucking a little air isn't bad.  I would rather feed a baby 3oz at 6am, 3oz at 8am, and 3oz at 9am than a 6.5 ounce bottle at once.  It probably is a growth spurt, though.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• image AmyG:
    milk really doesn't become "low fat" although pumping more frequently will help the milk to be fattier as the fat doesn't have as much time to separate out and stick to the walls of the ducts. A breastfed baby takes in about 25 oz a day.nbsp; the range is 1930 oz and at 30 oz you are at the top end of that.nbsp; At 2 mos old, baby should still be eating about 68 or more times a day, and you should try to pump that often to keep your supply more closely meeting their needs.nbsp; um, 7 oz is way overfeeding.nbsp; a grown up serving size of milk is 8 oz, eh?nbsp; So babies usually stay below that, and many formula fed babies would stay way below that until much closer to 6 mos and starting solids.If baby is eating 7 oz at a time, that is only a need for about 4 feedings a day.nbsp; Baby should eat more often than that IMHO.nbsp; your example shows amounts of less than 7 oz, but even 5.5 oz is more than most bf babies take in at a feeding until they are over 6 mos and taking in solids and STTN.nbsp; at 5.5 oz a feeding, baby only needs to eat about 5 times a day.How many times a day baby is fed is important for a few reasons, metabolizm, preventing overeating/stretching out stomach/spitting up, as well as allowing baby enough time tonbsp; get their sucking needs taken care of.A normal sized bottle should take at least 20 minutes to give.nbsp; The bottle nipple should be slow flow and not leak when you hold it upside down unless you squeeze on the nipple.nbsp; if you are giving huge bottles in 20 minutes or less, you need to slow down a ton.yes at this age there is a growth spurt, usually at about 3 mos of age and they may eat more during a growth spurt, but this sounds like it's been going on for longer than that?nbsp; during a growth spurt they don't usually take in a lot more oz at a time, but they eat way more often. I would take the bottles and break them up and feed them more often.nbsp; If baby is STTN that means 8? hours of noneating, right?nbsp; so that means in 16 hours baby is taking in 30 oz, which is more than the average 1 oz per hour1.875oz per hour.nbsp; feeding 68 times within the 16 hours would equate to feeding every 22 hrs 40 minutes and the amount should be about 3.755 oz. So the 5.5 oz isn't totaly OUT THERE for amount, but the 7 oz certainly is LARGE. Lots of spitting up with a 7 oz bottle = overfeeding most of the time.As baby gets older they will chew on their hands and get fussy and it has absolutely nothing to do with hunger. I would make sure you are dealing with hunger pains, rather than assuming that you are dealing with hunger.

I have to admit I don't pump through the night and I only pump 4x a day. I figured it wasn't an issue because I'm still getting around 30oz.

She usually sleeps about 9 hrs a night and honestly isn't sleeping at all through out the day. Today she has taken 3 20 minute naps which includes the time rocking her. I feel like this isn't enough sleep but that's another issue.

Yes the large quantities has been going on for quite sometime so I'm not sure if its a growth spurt. She hasn't done a 7oz feed today but I've tried passing her feeds like you have all said. I think she would keep taking milk as long as was I giving it so its hard to know when she's full. She wouldn't take the pacifier after like some have suggested.

I just tried a different flow nipple and its taking her a lot longer to finish. Usually I make 3oz bottles and just make an oz at a time until she seems "full". Which she never really does.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards