May 2013 Moms

Anxiety and BCP's

I used to struggle with anxiety but finally started to notice an improvement in the past year and a half or so after dealing with it since high school. During my pregnancy I had a lot of worries mostly associated with being PgAL, but the anxiety symptoms I used to have were gone.

Now that I have been back on the pill for the past 3 weeks, I have felt my anxiety ramp up again and I'm dealing with the same symptoms such as tummy troubles, diarrhea in the morning, severe butterflies in my stomach, mood swings, etc. I'm thinking that it might be my BC and that maybe it was the cause of my anxiety all along.

Has anyone experienced anxiety while taking the pill?

BFP #1 – 4/14/12 – Ectopic Pregnancy – MTX 5/11/12

BFP #2 – 9/2/12 – Our sweet rainbow DD born 5/23/13

BFP#3 – 1/5/14 – EDD 9/12/14 – natural m/c 2/16/14image

Re: Anxiety and BCP's

• Are you bfing? I have been experiencing some pretty unpleasant anxiety and made a connection between the two. I found info online about something called dmer that was really helpful.

• I hated the pill or any hormone BC. I tried them all, low dose pills, the shot, the ring, etc. I always felt sick, tired and now that you mention it, I can definitely say I felt anxious. I knew I didn't want to go back on it so I did my research and I'm getting the paraguard iud. It's hormone free. Talk to your doc and see if there is a hormone free BC you can try and see if your symptoms improve. BC can have serious side effects for a lot of women so its definitely a possibility it's triggering your anxiety
  • Page Hopefulmom81 on PAL. She's fought horrible anxiety and found a very low dose BCP that is working very well.
    Additionally, years before TTC, I used BCP and had your symptoms plus more with every brand/type tried except Loestrin 1:20 Fe, having never experienced anxiety off BCP prior or since.

Mobile note. That's 1 colon 20, not 120.
    AMA over 40
    Massive uterine fibroids removed 3/06
    BFP 1/11; MM/C discovered @ 10w, loss at 6w; Cytotec
    B/W 7/11 = normal CD3, FSH 8.9; 7DPO progesterone 1.7
    Three Clomid cycles, all BFN, Off to an RE for me...
    FSH=8.7 E2=30 AMH=1.8 HSG clear, SA=great
    Inj. IUI #1 12/9/11 BFN, Inj. IUI #2 1/6/12 BFN
    Inj. IUI #3 1/30/12 BFP!, HCG doubled through 6w, 7w u/s mm/c twins
    Factor V Leiden, Hetero, symptomatic
    Op Hysteroscopy 5/12, removed scar tissue and uterine septum
    Doing Cryo-DE IVF 
    Beautiful hatching 5-blast transfered 8/30
    BFP 9/7/12 EDD May 19, 2013
    A/S on 12/21/12, Petra's having a baby, it's the end of the world!
    Pebbles arrived safe and sound 4/13. Placenta accreta found.
    Op hysteroscopy 2/7, reopen ute/remove adhesions from accreta
    Found severe Ashermans. Fuuuuuuu... Repeat Op Hyst in March.
    Op Hyst ver 3.0 looks good so far, find out if it worked in June.
    Finally got the damn IUD out. Waiting to stop bleeding.
    SIS shows rippled funky shaped ute, but given clearance to begin sFET calendar.
    Here goes everything...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Petra, you are an obese 40+ year old. Stop jumping through these hoops. Just adopt already. There is no shame in that." -Deethebee
  • image emmy236:
    I hated the pill or any hormone BC. I tried them all, low dose pills, the shot, the ring, etc. I always felt sick, tired and now that you mention it, I can definitely say I felt anxious. I knew I didn't want to go back on it so I did my research and I'm getting the paraguard iud. It's hormone free. Talk to your doc and see if there is a hormone free BC you can try and see if your symptoms improve. BC can have serious side effects for a lot of women so its definitely a possibility it's triggering your anxiety

Because I had a previous ectopic pregnancy, I'm very wary about anything that increases the risk so IUDs are out for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!

• image PetraStonegirl:
    Page Hopefulmom81 on PAL. She's fought horrible anxiety and found a very low dose BCP that is working very well.
    Additionally, years before TTC, I used BCP and had your symptoms plus more with every brand/type tried except Loestrin 1:20 Fe, having never experienced anxiety off BCP prior or since.

Mobile note. That's 1 colon 20, not 120.

Thanks Petra, I'll give her a jingle. Hope you are doing well!

• It wouldn't surprise me if that was the cause. Hormonal bc and I aren't friends anymore, too many side effects!
  • image annarussell05:
    image emmy236:
    I hated the pill or any hormone BC. I tried them all, low dose pills, the shot, the ring, etc. I always felt sick, tired and now that you mention it, I can definitely say I felt anxious. I knew I didn't want to go back on it so I did my research and I'm getting the paraguard iud. It's hormone free. Talk to your doc and see if there is a hormone free BC you can try and see if your symptoms improve. BC can have serious side effects for a lot of women so its definitely a possibility it's triggering your anxiety

Because I had a previous ectopic pregnancy, I'm very wary about anything that increases the risk so IUDs are out for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I'm in the same boat but I am BF and a little leery to fill my minipill RX even though my doctor thinks it's fine with my ectopic and migraine history. I'd rather give birth than have another ectopic surgery...it was that painful. Anyways, if your husband's not a baby I'd get a diaphragm. I liked it, my husband didn't hence the second baby.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • YES. When I was on Yasmin I had breakthrough bleeding so I was switched to a higher dose pill which caused a bunch of anxiety symptoms. I was hesitant to blame it on the pill but then I had a panic attack so we switched to condoms. No problems since.

My doctor recommended mini pill, IUD or condoms. She said that condoms are very effective if used every time start to finish, so DH and I are sticking with them.

I hope you find something that works for you!
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • Lurking from June...

I cannot deal with hormonal birth control for exactly that reason. I get massive anxiety and panic attacks. He last bc i tried was the nuva ring and I had a panic attack two days after inserting it. The anxiety and panic attacks continued and I lasted 2weeks before DH suggested that I would be happier if I just stopped with the birth control. So I made the decision that hormonal bc is not for me.