Breastfeeding

Since when is donating milk

a "Civil War Era" type of thing?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151547257442087&set=a.385956342086.166343.324403437086&type=1&ref=nf

I'm trying to find a link for those without FB.  Many people may have already read this article, but to me, donating milk is a modern good thing to do.  What are your thoughts on the whole situation?

Let me see if I can copy/paste it here.

From "TheBabyGuyNYC"
 This is, perhaps, one of the most offensive and inaccurate things I've seen in-print in quite some time. As many of you know, Alicia Silverstone has started a breastmilk donation/sharing program. It seems Life & Style Weekly doesn't understand what a valuable and NECESSARY resource milk donation is and is equating it to slavery. Not cool. You can email the magazine at contactus@Lifeandstylemag.com OR send them at tweet @Life_and_style to let them know this is unacceptable. Thanks to Lactivist in Louboutins for bringing this to my attention.

***The quote is from Wendy Williams, as this appears in their column where Wendy speaks out on "hot issues"---but they certainly didn't need to print it. THAT is also the issue here. As a society we learn through what media gives us, and this is another sad example of media gone wrong"***

J 2.22.98 N 11.20.03 C 8.16.11  
                                                                            InstagramImage and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Since when is donating milk

• This has been making its rounds on FB pretty much on every BFing page I follow.  It's a pretty BS statement.  It's offensive and stupid.  Also the bit about slavery is messed up.  Magazines are dumb.
    "Babies, Ballet & The Law"
    My 2 girls- Jan 2012
    South Mountain, Arizona- 2014
    Montezuma Ruins, Arizona- 2014
    Grand Canyon 2014
  • image mexicolombiana:
    This has been making its rounds on FB pretty much on every BFing page I follow.  It's a pretty BS statement.  It's offensive and stupid.  Also the bit about slavery is messed up.  Magazines are dumb.

Agreed. I think the Wendy Williams chick is very misinformed and a twatwaffle for her comments on it being a bad idea. Someone needs to duck-tape her mouth shut.  

J 2.22.98 N 11.20.03 C 8.16.11  
                                                                                InstagramImage and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image EmpireMomof3:

image mexicolombiana:
    This has been making its rounds on FB pretty much on every BFing page I follow.  It's a pretty BS statement.  It's offensive and stupid.  Also the bit about slavery is messed up.  Magazines are dumb.

Agreed. I think the Wendy Williams chick is very misinformed and a twatwaffle for her comments on it being a bad idea. Someone needs to duck-tape her mouth shut.  

This!!!
    imageimage

• I literally just said, "WHAT?!" out loud. Hope I didn't wake the baby. :P
  • Comment sent:

"

Hello,
    I am not a reader of your magazine, but have seen a copy of one of the pages from (I think) your current issue. It features a photo of Alicia Silverstone with her son and says, "Can you believe this??!! Alicia Silverstone's breast milk-sharing program is not new - slaves used to be wet nurses. But you know something's a bad idea when the last time it was popular was during the Civil War. It's 2013!"
    The ignorance that spawned this comment is appalling. First of all, breast milk donation is a common practice across the country, and provides vital nutrition to many babies who would otherwise have to be fed formula (a poor substitute for human milk). Second of all, I think it sort of compares breast milk donation to slavery?? Which is just, odd. Finally, the fact that this ignorant comment has been printed in a magazine and will perpetuate the social bias against breast feeding is just sad. Breast milk is best - the American Academy of Pediatrics says so, the World Health Organization says so, in fact most health organizations stand by this fact. The comment in your magazine attempted to make fun of breast milk donation by making it seem backwards and outdated, but in fact you have shown yourselves to be ignorant and insensitive. Shame on you.
    Sincerely,
    "
  • AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper

Um, wetnurses have been around as long as there have been human babies.  Sure it took a nosedive when canned powdered formulas became super common, however, that isn't because providing breastmilk to babies is somehow backwards, but rather that formula was touted as a better man made substitute for breastmilk.  We now know that formula is NOT better than breastmilk and that babies benefit greatly from getting as much breastmilk as they can.

Consider that if you have a baby who cannot tolerate formula, getting breastmilk donated is literally LIFE SAVING. .  Programs like Eats on Feets, Milk Share, mother to mother milk donations are able to provide babies with breastmilk that would otherwise die or be seriously ill because they cannot digest commercial formulas.  Sure moms can turn to Milk Banks thru their hospital, where an ounce costs hundreds of dollars. Moms in those situations are severely penalized financially trying to provide food for their babies that won't harm them. 

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.