Stay at Home Moms

s/o budgets, COL, etc.

I came across this and found in interesting, given many of our conversations on here.

The Economic Policy Institute came out w/ an updated Family Budget Calculator. I thought this was interesting and you can see how COL varies greatly throughout our country. The amount they give is for a modest living, not right above the poverty level or living off minimum wage, etc. 

Article:  

http://www.epi.org/publication/ib368-basic-family-budgets/ 

Just the calculator: 

http://www.epi.org/resources/budget/

E 9.08, V 8.11, J 4.14

Re: s/o budgets, COL, etc.

• Almost $78K a year, which to me feels accurate.  Secure yet modest seems about right at that income level.
    Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • I agree, for the areas I checked, it seemed pretty accurate for a basic, middle class lifestyle. 
    E 9.08, V 8.11, J 4.14
  • ETA; Wrong thread, yo.

• For two parents and two kids it came back at 73,500 roughly. The child are numbers were way off. The cost it have would only pay for one small child on daycare. The rest seemed about right to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• $70K for my area. I think that's pretty accurate for a modest lifestyle. Some of their budget items were way off for my area- like they had rent lasted at $1,100 and there is no way you'd find anything big enough for a family of 4 for that price. They also have childcare listed at $975 which is way too low. Infant care for one child is $1,400-$1,600. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 64k here seems low to me.
    Mom to Emma 9/4/06 and Jackson 11/24/08 M/C Dec 11 and M/C twins feb 2012. BFP Thanksgiving! EDD Aug 4, 2013 M/C at 5 weeks.
  • Yup, that's about right for my area. I feel like we're comfortable, but barely making a comfortable life-style, if that makes sense. There are millions of people living on way less than us here and you can just imagine what they're budgets must look like and what they're having to skimp on.

ETA: Just wanted to add that I agree, what they're suggesting is the minimum for what I could consider to be a fairly comfortable a modest life-style. I'm still not sure about the retirement situation though - doesn't leave much room for that. And the number itself is actually a whole lot more than what a huge percentage of the people who live in this city are making. Such a huge income gap. It makes me pretty sick.

• It seems fairly accurate from what I know.  

I live close to Newaygo County, MI, which was used as an example for median cost of living.   We manage to live on less than the amount they listed with 2 adults, 1 infant but we make more cut backs than a lot of people.  

ETA: I just did the calculator and we live on less than they say for 2 adults, 1 child but as I said before we make lots of cut backs especially in food and transportation.  We live less than a mile from DH's work and drive older vehicles and I meal plan and shop sales and use coupons.   Housing and childcare both seem a bit low to me.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

11/2010- Diagnosed with PCOS
    BFP #1 10/10/2011 EDD 6/19/2012;Natural M/C 10/31/2011 @ 8wks
    BFP #2 5/10/2012 EDD 1/14/2013: Baby Girl born 1/12/2013
  • My only pet peeve about it in Philadelphia proper is that there is such a dramatic housing cost range.  Anywhere where you could utilize a decent public school is going to have a much higher housing cost than that.  And if you not, you are looking at factoring in tuition somewhere which is essentially eating all of your miscellaneous.
  • image QueSyrah:
    70K for my area. I think that's pretty accurate for a modest lifestyle. Some of their budget items were way off for my area like they had rent lasted at 1,100 and there is no way you'd find anything big enough for a family of 4 for that price. They also have childcare listed at 975 which is way too low. Infant care for one child is 1,4001,600.nbsp;

I think it defines a recital for a family of 4 as a 2 bed apartment. Which still might be more than 975, I don't know. I think the issue then becomes that lots of people "feel" like they're living a modest lifestyle, nothing extravagant, but this metric and others would consider them living a lifestyle beyond modest.
    E 9.08, V 8.11, J 4.14
  • $100,043. That sounds right. Too bad we're at about half that...

ETA: It looks like they've calculated about half of what childcare would actually cost us as well.  

image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just under $62k here.  

I guess the breakdown is pretty accurate.  Although, they have housing at under $800, which is possible, especially for a smaller, but nice apartment, but that can't include like utilities and such, right?  Is that the "other necessities" category?   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    We are not on that list. WTF.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • CnAmomCnAmom
    According to google the median household income here is 36k. I feel rich!
  • Well this is pretty much the reason why we live in Riverside County and not in Los Angeles county....It also explains why most people here have to commute to work (as I look out the window to see my street backed up since 6AM as people try to avoid the 91).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• image CnAmom:

But the median household income might not be what it takes to live a moderate lifestyle. Did you check the cities or regions closest to you?
    E 9.08, V 8.11, J 4.14
  • My area is not really represented. Its HCOL. Average income in my town is about 123,000 a year. We are above that. But looking at the calculator. There is no way some families in NJ could live on what they suggest.  Iwould be uncomfortible living single and making under 70k around here.
    Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • I took out daycare since I'm home with the kids and it came out right at what dh and I make. We aren't poverty level but definitly aren't upper middle class. Id say its right for COL in Iowa.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • CnAmomCnAmom
    image LalaMama81:
    image CnAmom:
    But the median household income might not be what it takes to live a moderate lifestyle. Did you check the cities or regions closest to you?
    NM isn't on the second menu.
  • image CnAmom:
    image LalaMama81:
    image CnAmom:
    It's on there.  Cities are Abq, Las Cruces, Farmington, Santa Fe, and Rural. 
  • It says 60k for where we live.  Housing seems really low.  We bought a much cheaper house than most people, but with our high property taxes our monthly payment is $500 more than they have.  Most people probably spend $500-800 more than we do on their monthly payment.  I don't even think you can get a decent apartment for the amount they have listed. 
  • hocushocus
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 25 Love Its Combo Breaker

I pulled the data for NYC. Housing is low IMO. Getting a 2 bedroom for under $2,000 is hard right now. I do know folks with 2 kids in one bedroom places but those are folks that are trading off space for good public schools. They often move after 8th grade. Vacancy rates are very low here which drives prices up in addition the overall high cost of living. Child care is on the low end, but I know folks that pay that if they live in non-subway accessible locations.

Monthly Housing$1474
    Monthly Food$754
    Monthly Child Care$2006
    Monthly Transportation$577
    Monthly Health Care$1629
    Monthly Other Necessities    $570
    Monthly Taxes$781
    Monthly Total$7792
    Annual Total$93502
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image hocus:

I pulled the data for NYC. Housing is low IMO. Getting a 2 bedroom for under $2,000 is hard right now. I do know folks with 2 kids in one bedroom places but those are folks that are trading off space for good public schools. They often move after 8th grade. Vacancy rates are very low here which drives prices up in addition the overall high cost of living. Child care is on the low end, but I know folks that pay that if they live in non-subway accessible locations.

Monthly Housing$1474
    Monthly Food$754
    Monthly Child Care$2006
    Monthly Transportation$577
    Monthly Health Care$1629
    Monthly Other Necessities    $570
    Monthly Taxes$781
    Monthly Total$7792
    Annual Total$93502

Wow because my friends in Manhattan are lucky to get an apartment, Studio or other wise for under 2800. our old apartment in Manhattan was a little over 3000 a month.

Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • I think the point of this budget calculator is that it's still barely enough for a comfortable, modest living and yet it's much higher than the official federal poverty line. That should tell you a lot. And it makes it really hard for me to understand why people don't get the importance of making sure everyone in the U.S. has at least a "living wage" (which honestly, I'm not even sure would even cover this budget). Minimum wage is a fukcing joke. And you know what people - it doesn't make sense to just say, well you can find another job. No you fukcing can't. And if you did, who will take your order when you go to McDonalds for your disgusting Big Mac fix.
  • CnAmomCnAmom
    image ToBeMrsT:
    image CnAmom:
    image LalaMama81:
    image CnAmom:
    It's on there.  Cities are Abq, Las Cruces, Farmington, Santa Fe, and Rural. 
    Oh silly me. I expected the list to be in some logical order. According to that thing it's 61k. HUGE disconnect there.
  • image nowababy:
    I think the point of this budget calculator is that it's still barely enough for a comfortable, modest living and yet it's much higher than the official federal poverty line. That should tell you a lot. And it makes it really hard for me to understand why people don't get the importance of making sure everyone in the U.S. has at least a "living wage" which honestly, I'm not even sure would even cover this budget. Minimum wage is a fukcing joke. And you know what people it doesn't make sense to just say, well you can find another job. No you fukcing can't. And if you did, who will take your order when you go to McDonalds for your disgusting Big Mac fix.

Preach it!

• image Diapers&Wipes:
    For two parents and two kids it came back at 73,500 roughly. The child are numbers were way off. The cost it have would only pay for one small child on daycare. The rest seemed about right to me.

This.  And we are both in the same city so that makes sense.  What really struck me was the it just about exactly the budget we are trying to work with.  

ETA: I also looked up the 'average incomes and wages' for my city and they had a similar break down.  I wonder if the childcare aspect we all think is so low is  based on older kids?  I know  most of us are more familiar with the infant and toddler rates for our areas.  More interesting to me was that the hourly wage for education and teachers (among other professions) was listed as less than what is needed to support a single adult and child in our area.  That to me is sad, it seems that college educated jobs should result in enough income to support at least a small family.

Hallelujah, it's a miracle, I have children AND a signature!
    image image

TTC since February 2009
    MC 6/28/2010 @ 7w 5d
    Dx low progesterone October 2010, IUI success and then a total surprise!
  • image nowababy:
    I think the point of this budget calculator is that it's still barely enough for a comfortable, modest living and yet it's much higher than the official federal poverty line. That should tell you a lot. And it makes it really hard for me to understand why people don't get the importance of making sure everyone in the U.S. has at least a "living wage" (which honestly, I'm not even sure would even cover this budget). Minimum wage is a fukcing joke. And you know what people - it doesn't make sense to just say, well you can find another job. No you fukcing can't. And if you did, who will take your order when you go to McDonalds for your disgusting Big Mac fix.

I want to make out with this post. 

• image amy052006:

image nowababy:
    I think the point of this budget calculator is that it's still barely enough for a comfortable, modest living and yet it's much higher than the official federal poverty line. That should tell you a lot. And it makes it really hard for me to understand why people don't get the importance of making sure everyone in the U.S. has at least a "living wage" (which honestly, I'm not even sure would even cover this budget). Minimum wage is a fukcing joke. And you know what people - it doesn't make sense to just say, well you can find another job. No you fukcing can't. And if you did, who will take your order when you go to McDonalds for your disgusting Big Mac fix.

::thumbs up::  

Also, those people on their middle and upper class high horses who say "just get another job", I'd love to see them just go out tomorrow and find a higher earning job just like that.  Additionally, I'd like to see them working multiple jobs just to barely (hopefully) make ends meet.  That's no kind of life.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image sbevmc09:
    image amy052006:

image nowababy:

::thumbs up::  

Also, those people on their middle and upper class high horses who say "just get another job", I'd love to see them just go out tomorrow and find a higher earning job just like that.  Additionally, I'd like to see them working multiple jobs just to barely (hopefully) make ends meet.  That's no kind of life.  

Where is the 'like' button when you need it? :D 

Hallelujah, it's a miracle, I have children AND a signature!
    image image

TTC since February 2009
    MC 6/28/2010 @ 7w 5d
    Dx low progesterone October 2010, IUI success and then a total surprise!