February 2013 Moms

Letting kids grow up vent

My parents' best friends are like an aunt an uncle to me. Because of this our families are very close, including their children and their families. One of their sons (the one closest to my age) is awesome but married to a girl I really can't stand. The majority of our group are around the same age (late 20s, early 30s) but she's a bit younger (she just turned 24). I have no problem with her age since her SIL (the youngest in her husband's family) is her age and one of my best friends. The problem I have is that since she has two kids she feels she knows everything and other parents do not. While I am still learning as a mother, I have done my fair share of research and will ask opinions from parents whose opinions I trust. For example, on the 4th of July she told me I needed to start DS on solids since he was already behind the curve with his milestones (since he doesn't sit up on his own yet at barely 5 months), she told my SIL (the oldest in our group with the oldest kids) that she should try to get her kids to stop whining so much by doing XYZ. She's mentioned that I am an old mom since I had DS at 29 and also that I'll be depriving DS since DH and I are in school FT and I work outside of the home. I guess the thing that frustrates me the most recently is that she expects her kids to grow up faster than (from what I've witnessed) they are ready. She had DD in Feb 2011 and DS Nov 2012. She was upset that DD "did not get" potty training before DS arrived and continues to berate her in public whenever she needs to change her diaper. DS has recently started crawling and she's already encouraging him to start walking since he "took so long" to start crawling. Honestly, why can't she just let her kids go at their own pace?! Sorry, I know it's not my place and everyone does what they feel is best for their kids, but she's so obsessed with having as many babies as possible (another reason she wants her DS to start walking: so she doesn't have to lift him as much when she gets pregnant with the next) that I feel she's shortchanging her kids... Okay, end of rant.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

Re: Letting kids grow up vent

• I always wonder what people who so openly share their unsolicited opinions would think if people started doing it back to them.

Give it a shot.

:)  I am writing this with very little sleep and am feeling pretty cranky so do with that what you will :) 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• MBush4MBush4 member
    imageally2011:

I always wonder what people who so openly share their unsolicited opinions would think if people started doing it back to them.

Give it a shot.

:)  I am writing this with very little sleep and am feeling pretty cranky so do with that what you will :) 

Yeah, I'm under the same circumstances in my writing this... Depending on when she gives me her next gem it may just happen. I tend to keep my thoughts to myself, but we'll see if the lack of sleep makes me lose my filter.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Loading the player...
  • Oh man. How annoying! I'd probably pull her aside and tell her to keep her comments to herself. Maybe she'll stop talking to you altogether :
    BabyFetus Ticker

• MBush4MBush4 member

imageknickerbockers:
    Oh man. How annoying! I'd probably pull her aside and tell her to keep her comments to herself. Maybe she'll stop talking to you altogether :

That would be great. But that's the thing that stinks. I love her ILs and her husband is great! I know she drives him crazy, but... Yeah...

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Wow, she sounds awful! I'm sorry you have to deal with her. My SIL has some similar qualities like those you mentioned. She's bossy and feels that she needs to tell all the other moms in the family how to do their jobs. Most of the time I ignore her but recently we had a blow up and had to sit down and clear the air between us, which resulted in some hurt feelings in the moment but things are much better now. Would that be an option for you? Perhaps you two could meet without anyone else there and get a chance to clear the air.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, she sounds pretty immature. I know younger women who are very mature and older ones who are not, but the good news is that with the young immature ones there's still the hope that they'll grow up and realize that they do not know everything. :-)

Even just reading how she berates her kids for not learning things fast enough makes my heart hurt. Not because she's pushing them, but because she's making them feel like failures when they don't learn fast enough for her. I wonder where she's getting her information about milestones. My DDs have been ahead of some milestones and waaaay behind on others, but that's how a lot of kids are.

Bottom line: Don't let her knot-it-all attitude make you feel insecure about your parenting.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• She sounds like a piece of work!  No real advice, maybe try to give it back to her.  Or ignore her and try to stay away.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"