July 2012 Moms

Nap talk

We are on week 3 of fighting the afternoon nap. Jack would go down like clockwork around 2:00, now he won't fall asleep until 3/3:30. Is it possible he is trying to wean off his afternoon nap?  He takes his morning nap at 9:00 religiously everyday and will nap for 2.5-3 hours. I know around this time they start to go to one nap but I have never heard of the afternoon nap going first. Anyone have any experience or know of a baby dropping the afternoon nap first?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: Nap talk

• We only recently cut back to 2 naps, so the fact that this is happening scares me! I don't want just one nap! 

But maybe he just can go a little longer now between naps and is trying to push it back? 

BFP 11-19-11, EDD 07-30-12, E was born 08-08-2012

BFP 11-13-12, EDD 07-25-13, C was born 07-26-2013
  • Robert always takes a morning nap and only sometimes takes an afternoon nap.
    GlitterPhoto GlitterPhoto
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Together since 5/08 ~ Married 6/19/10 ~ TTC #1 since 8/10
    BFP#1 3/26/11 ~ EDD 12/2/11 ~ Ectopic Twins left tube 7w3d
    BFP#2 11/2/11 ~ EDD 7/14/12 ~ Robert Edgar born 7/18/12
    BFP#3 9/28/13 ~ EDD 5/20/14 ~ Benjamin Clarence born 5/15/14
  • We always have a harder time with the afternoon nap, but DD only takes 45-60 minute naps these days anyway. Is it possible to maybe push his morning nap back a little (maybe 10:30?) and just do 1 nap? I'm guessing he's just not needing it anymore.

FWIW, DD takes one nap during the day at daycare (around 11:30 and lasts 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours) and then takes a catnap in the car on the way home around 5:00. So daycare basically cut out her afternoon nap and just pushed her morning nap back.

• image michaela080:
    Robert always takes a morning nap and only sometimes takes an afternoon nap.

Same here.  At daycare he only does one nap.  On weekends he will sometimes do the second nap, usually while we are out and about. 

• I'm looking forward to reading responses because we're going through a similar phase. Olivia will nap in the morning no problem but is fighting the afternoon nap. She was so tired after a play date yesterday so I put her down at 3 and she was still awake and fussing at. 4:30! I don't get it! She finally fell asleep after we played more and put her back down at 5:15 but it was so late. Ugh, I loved having so strong nap schedule! :(
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • elizdgelizdg
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary

This sounds a lot like what Graham is doing now. He has been dropping the afternoon nap a few days a week. His morning nap has always been his best of the day. He will generally nap from 9:30 to 11:30 or 12. He will sometimes go to sleep again around 2:30 or 3, but only for 45 minutes to an hour, if at all. Then he goes to bed for the night around 7.

it kind of makes me sad, I enjoyed having some afternoon time to myself! ;) 

• Dagny is all over the place with napping. Sometimes she takes two and sometimes only one. Generally if as only takes one its an early afternoon nap. I agree with PPs that you might try to push his morning nap back so that he gets his nap more in the middle of the day.

• image michaela080:
    Robert always takes a morning nap and only sometimes takes an afternoon nap.

This is us too! If he doesn't have an afternoon nap he is usually falling asleep earlier at bedtime.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That is a long nap! If he is getting a 2.5/3 hour nap no wonder. Mine will sometimes only do one. If its a 2 hour then she really won't nap in the afternoon. If its just an hour she will take a second nap.

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image nesenotes:
    That is a long nap! If he is getting a 2.5/3 hour nap no wonder. Mine will sometimes only do one. If its a 2 hour then she really won't nap in the afternoon. If its just an hour she will take a second nap.

I have read that at this age they only need about 3 hours of daytime sleep. So if he is taking that in the morning he likely doesn't really need it in the afternoon.

• We only have 1 nap. LO wakes around 8 am and naps around 1130 everyday for about 3 hours, he's been in 1 nap for about a month now and he is doing great! Good luck!
  • Thanks, everyone! I think I may try pushing the morning nap back over the weekend and skip the afternoon and see how that goes.

• Colin only takes one nap per day and dropped his afternoon nap, not the morning one. He has since adjusted his nap time though and naps around noon instead of around 10, so maybe he is ready to drop that nap. Can you try adjusting his morning nap time? Colin was a cranky mess when he was in the process of dropping his afternoon nap because he was still napping at the same time in the morning.

• Meow84Meow84
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary

I think when we go to one nap, the afternoon will be the first to go. She does really well with her morning nap (well, we me anyway. My MIL can't seem to get it together but that is a different tale) and is a BEAST without it....but if she misses her afternoon nap it isn't as terrible. 

Page Graphics, Tumblr Graphics