LGBT Parenting

Healthy Check In

I posted this last week and the Bump ate it, but there seemed to be some interest before it went away.

What successes have you had this week as far as health and wellness go?  What challenges or frustrations?

QOTD: What is your favorite form of exercise?

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
*Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Healthy Check In

• I lost 0.2 lbs this week...not fantastic, but since I lost 6.8 somehow last week, I wasn't expecting a huge loss.  It's still 7 lbs for 2 weeks which is great, and I made it to the gym twice and got in some walks outside before the heat wave started.

As far as challenges go, we celebrated two birthdays this weekend with two cakes.  I can't resist cake, but I managed to limit the portion size and not go back for a second slice. :)  Considering the cakes, I think any weight loss at all this week is great!

QOTD: My primary form of exercise is running.  I don't love it, but I feel like it's a good bang-for-your-buck exercise (I'd have to walk a LONG time to burn the same amount of calories I burn in 30 minutes of running) and I prefer it to most other gym exercises I've tried (spinning, elliptical, aerobics-type classes, etc).  I also like that it's relatively easy and doesn't require special equipment beyond sneakers, and if I can't get to the gym I can do it outside.

In terms of favorite, I'd probably have to say kayaking, but since we don't own kayaks and it's expensive to rent them, we don't do it very often.  I also like pilates, but classes are not really in the budget right now and I haven't really taken to the DVDs I've tried at home.

9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• KH826KH826
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary

Well, I suppose I should participate in this check-in since I whined and carried on in my TTT about my weight gain. Unfortunately, I don't have much to say at this point in terms of successes... I suppose I will count it as a small win that I cooked dinner last night. I made salmon, roasted green beans and blackened cauliflower. It was really good. And we had watermelon for dessert. Tonight I am going to make a stirfry with Asparagus, mushrooms, roasted red peppers and eggplant.

I do really like cooking, and I make healthy meals 4-5 days a week for my wife and I. My main issues are 1) portion control & 2) eating healthy on the weekends

Thursday night we are going out to dinner with friends, so I will have to try to make a good choice... I am not sure where we are going... when I was "hardcore dieting" as I like to call it (when I lost my 109 lbs 2 years ago), I would go out to dinner and order a ceasar salad with grilled chicken or shrimp and no dressing and no croutons. It is basically lettuce, a little shredded cheese and either the chicken or shrimp. Most restaurants will have that option for me, so I suppose I can default to that if I need to.

I promise to try to make some mental/emotional headway with weightloss before next weeks check-in so that I have something better to share. However, I will likely not step on a scale. I don't think I am ready for that yet.

QOTD: Can I say that my favorite exercise is no exercise? HAHA -- In all seriousness though, I really HATE exercise. I have yet to find anything that I even remotely enjoy. There are things that I can tolerate more than others, but none that I enjoy. Walks with my wife before dinner (the wimpiest form of exercise LOL) are what I tolerate the most. I hate going to the gym. I have a membership to Planet Fitness and I go in spurts. My last spurt was a LONG time ago, but at $10 per month, I feel like it is OK to keep the membership and rarely go until I am ready HA! I have tried yoga and hated it, I tried this weird body sculpting aerobics class with a friend of mine - hated that... part of me is curious about zumba, but I think it would probably kill me...

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • I'd like to join!  Eating healthy and staying active are super important to both Z and me and definitely things that we want to model for our children.

I've definitely indulged a few times during pregnancy (our local vegan bakery has seen a lot more of us recently!!), but I have been trying to continue my healthy eating and activity.  Now that my desire to cook has returned, that has helped with the eating part.

My favorite form of exercise is running.  Prior to pregnancy, I was a long distance runner.  I stopped running when I was about 8-9 weeks pregnant.  My OB/midwives were fine with me continuing to run, but I stopped for a few reasons.  1) I fell when I was about 7 weeks pregnant.  I don't think it was pregnancy related, but it was the second time I had fallen in a short amount of time and didn't want to risk it as my belly grew.  2) I started getting winded more easily even that early in pregnancy.  It was just starting to get really hot and I was concerned about getting dehydrated.  Ultimately, I just didn't feel like it was worth it for me.  I do really, really miss it, though. I'm really concerned about how tough it will be to get back to it after pregnancy. I've started from scratch before, though, so I know I can do it!  I have really supportive running community (including my wife) too.

Since I stopped running, I joined a gym so that I could do the elliptical.  It's just so boring!  I would rather just be outside and walk the dog, but it has really been too hot for me to have any desire to do that.  Bama doesn't last too long walking when it is super hot anyway.  What I have really grown to love is my prenatal yoga classes.  It's geared towards preparing your body for childbirth and I like being around other pregnant ladies a few times a week. 

I'm a little concerned about how we will be able to manage working out and staying active with a newborn, but I know that it will make us better individuals/mothers to continue our activities.  It just may take some trial and error to figure out what works for us after baby comes. 

• image KH826:

QOTD: Can I say that my favorite exercise is no exercise? HAHA -- In all seriousness though, I really HATE exercise. I have yet to find anything that I even remotely enjoy. There are things that I can tolerate more than others, but none that I enjoy.

Oh, I am so with you.  I only run because of all the things I've tried that burn more calories than walking, I hate it the least (and because my gym has built-in TVs in the treadmills so I can zone out while I'm doing it).  I've worked out with a personal trainer, done the bike and elliptical, taken classes, and never really loved anything.  I'm terrible at all sports.  I do love kayaking, but it doesn't feel like exercise to me.  And I think I liked pilates because I got to spend a lot of time lying down. :)

At the end of my weight loss, I did a Couch to 5K program, and that is the only way I've ever been able to get into running.  Have you ever tried one?

9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• image ball.and.chain:
    image KH826:

QOTD: Can I say that my favorite exercise is no exercise? HAHA -- In all seriousness though, I really HATE exercise. I have yet to find anything that I even remotely enjoy. There are things that I can tolerate more than others, but none that I enjoy.

Oh, I am so with you.  I only run because of all the things I've tried that burn more calories than walking, I hate it the least (and because my gym has built-in TVs in the treadmills so I can zone out while I'm doing it).  I've worked out with a personal trainer, done the bike and elliptical, taken classes, and never really loved anything.  I'm terrible at all sports.  I do love kayaking, but it doesn't feel like exercise to me.  And I think I liked pilates because I got to spend a lot of time lying down. :)

At the end of my weight loss, I did a Couch to 5K program, and that is the only way I've ever been able to get into running.  Have you ever tried one?

I hated running when I first started.  Running with a group made it so much more enjoyable to me.  I run with a local running club (and participate in paid training programs, which was also motivating to me), but there is also a LGBT running group in Austin that meets for runs.

• KH826KH826
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary
    image ball.and.chain:

Maybe I should try pilates, I like lying down! LOL

I have never done a couch to 5k program. I have also never really run before (like 2 or 3 times in my whole life and very short distances). I don't think it is really for me, but that feels like an excuse. I think I am scared to not be good at it, and to hate it, and to look silly trying... combine all those things with the fact that it will be hard work and not enjoyable, I feel like I have very little incentive to try it. My problem is that I know I can lose weight without exercise. I lost over 100 lbs in about 10 months with pretty much no exercise, just diet. So it is hard for me to really get into exercise since I dislike it so much and know that there are other ways to lose weight.

I know that exercising is healthy, and I should want to do it for that reason, but.... yeah, no.

Oh, and I also am terrible at all sports. My wife on the other hand played softball and tennis all through high school and college. She is out of shape now and struggling with trying to get back in to a healthy lifestyle, but when she does get into it, she is the type of person that actually enjoys working out. I just don't get it!  

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Like a couple of you, I lost a lot of weight, sixty pounds, six years ago. I then stayed within about a 25lb range until I met M. We are both comfort eaters and between our own shared food vices and the stress of TTC, I'm actually heavier now than I was when I started WW six years ago.

I'm trying to have a fatpositive towards my own body as I do towards other people's but I'm finding that my current weight interferes with doing the things I love doing, especially playing baseball. I can still do it, but it is just that much more taxing on my lungs, my muscles, and my joints.

I have a gym membership that hasn't been getting a lot of use so I'd like to start making more use of that. So, my goal is to "earn my shower" four times a week at least. I like the idea of earning my shower by sweating enough to need to take one or to take a second one. This can be from playing baseball, going to the gym, going on a long dog walk, etc.

My baseball game was cancelled for tonight so I will have to get my own exercise today.

My favorite kind of exercise is playing sports. I also have a love/ hate relationship with running. I'm not good at it and I'm slow and I generally am partially miserable while doing it, but I also have a real sense of accomplishment when I'm done.
    ****loss discussed*****

We're queer. I'm 33 and don't have any fallopian tubes left. My love ("Manada" on the boards, 32) was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. We did Partner IVF (my eggs, her uterus). We lost our twins Tavin and Casey at 21 weeks gestation.

Our TTC and Infertility history:
    with @Manada: IUI# 1-7 (December 2012- September 2013) all BFN. Tried natural, femara, clomid, puregon/follistim, clomid and menopur combo, both the ovidrel and HCG triggers.

with me: blocked tube dx'd via HSG in December 2012; polyps dx'd via sonohysterogram in 12/2012 and removed via hysteroscopy in 1/2013; hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in 5/2013 via transvaginal ultrasound. Laparoscopy performed 6/2013 to deal with hydrosalpinx--dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy during surgery. Repeat hysteroscopy 10/2013 with two polyps removed.

Our IVFs:
    IVF November/December 2013:
    Cancelled IVF due to poor response

IVF January/February 2014
    BCPs and lupron overlap
    Stimmed: 1/22-2/2: Bravelle and Menopur (dosage ranged from B300 and M150 to B375 and M150 to B300 and M225)
    2/4 retrieved 10 eggs. Endo was much worse than expected. Only 3 eggs fertilized; February 7 transferred two day 3 embryos, froze one. All great condition.
    HPT BFP on 2/13 evening (6dp3dt); Beta 1 (2/18 at 11dp3dt): 110; Beta 2 (2/20 at 13dp3dt): 175; Beta 3 (2/22 at 15dp3dt):  348; Beta 4 (2/26 at 19dp3dt): 2222; Beta 5 (2/28 at 21dp3dt): 4255
    1st ultrasound (3/6  6w 1d): TWINS!!!! Twin A measuring 6w1d with a heartbeat of 118bpm. Twin B measuring 6w0d with a heartbeat of 113bpm. 9 week ultrasound (3/26): We saw both move! Twin A measuring 8w6d with a heartbeat of 182 and Twin B measuring 8w5d with a heartbeat of 180.
    ***July 18, 2014 we lost our beautiful babies at 21 weeks gestation. They were born too early. Tavin Sara T. and Casey Elizabeth T. are beautiful and precious and we will love them and miss them forever.***

• image ball.and.chain:

BC and I are totally in synch here! I like running, an the more I did it, the more I liked it for its calorie burning and cellulite melting qualities. I also love kayaking and we do have the luxury in TN of lots Of places to go and we've had kayaks for a few years now, but I don't consider it exercise. I also like Pilates pretty well and have come to the same realization about the laying down. Ha!!!

I've always struggled with weight. I lost about 60 pounds ten years ago that stayed off for about 6. Then I gained about 30, lost 30 with medifast and gained some while ttc. But I am super proud about my minimal pregnancy weight gain. I'm at 30 weeks and just hit the 9 to 10 pound mark.

This week I finally went to a prenatal and senior swimming class on Saturday. It was AWESOME. Not only was the weightlessness so fun and awesome, I felt like the workout was legitimate. I will definitely continue to go.

I do plan to take up running again after birth. I had never run a mile in my life before choosing team in training to train for a half marathon 2 years ago. Talk about couch to half! While I actually prefer running on my own for anything up to 5 miles, long group runs are awesome. One of my proudest and most rewarding days was finishing that half and I bet it will be even better finishing in front of my little girl. I can't wait. But like ATX I dread starting from scratch but I know I can do it!

DP and I have been together since 1/2007 and had a wedding ceremony 5/11

IUIs - natural cycle, one cancelled, 2 w/50mg Clomid

IUI #4 - 5mg Femera, ovidril Jan 2012 BFP!!! Beta 13DPO= 41, 15DPO = 123; 1st u/s at 6w4d HB 132!; 2nd u/s 8w4d HB 179

EDD 9.26.13

• All I got is this. J says, "Honey, wow, you look really skinny!" followed up by "Which is surprising seeing how crappy you've been eating."

Now that is love.

But, she is right, about the crappy eating part (I think it was the outfit making me look skinny). At some point, I was doing really well, then one of my healthcare providers said "you pretty much can't lose weight on the level of estrogen you are on" and somehow my brain translated that as "free for all!" Oy.

I did make an appointment with a nutritionist who leans to a more eastern approach; I've met with 2 billion nutritionists who've basically said to not eat carbs, only protein, veggies and some fruit. Well, that hasn't worked for the longterm...so I'm taking a different approach. We'll see how that goes - appt. is tomorrow.

I am squarely 10 lbs. heavier than when I got pregnant in December, and weigh about the same as I did at the end of the pregnancy. I too had about a 100 lb weight loss about 7 years ago, and have allowed about 35 lbs to creep back on in the past 2 years or so. Obviously pregnancy isn't a time to lose weight, but being overweight already, I can stand to gain less than 20 if I get pregnant and I'd love for that.

Exercise - ug. I share the struggles with generally hating exercise BUT over the years, I have learned it's like eating your vegetables, you just have to do it. As I've gotten older, the "diet is enough" approach has worked less and less - though it is 70% food, 30% exercise, or so I've been told, so I have generally figured if the eating was in line I'm winning - exercise is a booster.

I did Bikram hot yoga for about 5 years in a very dedicated way. With my hip issues I've had to stop. I mostly do 3-mile walks 4-5x a week and those are fun and easy, and well, better than nothing!

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• I used to love exercise but then got into a funk for my 12 months of TTC... It was hard to work out when on meds and then in 2ww over and over, and then battling depressive tendencies after loss. The whole year left me kind of blah. I used to practice bikram hot yoga also, and love hiking and biking.

Luckily, my wife is one of those who NEEDS to exercise or she will go crazy. (And her two weeks of no exercise during her stims and surgery were miserable for her.) She loves long distance cycling, hiking, and plays on a softball team. Because she is so active it gets me out a bit. Sometimes she'll trick me by asking me to go to a matinee and then tell me that we are riding our bikes there. But then I have my way sometimes too and convince her to spend an entire Saturday in bed watching movies. This happened a lot in my first trimester, and it felt glorious as I haven't done it since college.

I'm finally feeling well enough to exercise regularly. I go to either the gym for swimming or classes or yoga every day, and that has felt great. Aqua yoga is currently my favorite, because I can balance and hold poses much longer in the water! And it feels so good.

My eating has been okay. I checked my weight yesterday and I'm well within "normal" weight gain for 20 weeks. I'm convinced it is because this is my wife's baby and it craves healthy foods - I have been all about raw vegetables since day one, and I thought I would be one of those pregnant ladies eating tubs of ice cream. So I'm grateful for the time being, but now it is bugging me that people tell me I don't "look" 5 months pregnant and I don't think I'm big enough. People tell me that will change very soon!

Ball.and.chain, you reminded me we have two kayaks in our garage that are gathering dust! Maybe we'll do that sometime soon, while I'm still able to get in and out!

Thanks for this checkin!

M&K met 8/2002 married 6/2012
    TTC with RE since March 2012
    3 missed O's, 6 IUIs = 1 BFP then 8 w M/C, 5 BFNs
    (2 unmedicated IUIs, 2 clomid IUI, 2 femara IUI)
    Shared maternity/partner IVF, transfer #1 BFP!
    EDD 11/28/13
  • I'm on a weight loss mission so I'll chime in :) I'm a good hundred pounds of weight - so I gotta trim down quite a bit.  I'm considering lap band surgery in a few years if my own efforts fail.  I am much better at sticking to exercise than I am with eating well.  I love food, especially anything cheese, chocolate, or bread.  I love beer and wine, too, which pack a tremendous calorie punch.  I'm on Weight Watchers now, and so is DP.  I calculated the calories per point and it comes to be about 50 calories a point so in reality it keeps me at a 500 calorie defecit per day.  That's good because that generally means you'll lose a pound a week.  It's not so bad.  I like that I can have a "cheat" day so I don't go crazy.

As for my favorite type of exercise... it's unfortunately one I can't afford: power travel.  DP and I went to Europe this spring and we strapped pedometers on our pants and discovered we walked 10 miles a day.  It's easy to forget you're moving so much when you're surrounding by enchanting sights, sounds, smells, and are just so happy to be somewhere so interesting.  If I won the lottery, I would spend all my time and money doing just that, and I'd probably be fit as a fiddle.

But since that's clearly not feasible, swimming in warm water is first choice, walking on my treadmill and watching old movies is second choice.

• I have been trying to write this all day. Finally, I am sitting with a hands free breast pump and updating! 

I was 170lbs before getting pregnant, which in my mind is about 30lbs too heavy for my frame. I gained 26lbs during pregnancy and have lost 20lbs of that, which I think is right on track for healthy weight loss. I started walking this morning when the baby wouldn't go back to sleep. I can't walk too far because my incision hurts, walking vigorously used to be my favorite exercise, and I did it a lot. Living in the US means that I don't get to do that as part of my normal day anymore. I also don't go to the gym 3 times a week like I used to...AND I've been eating an awful lot of ice cream since the 3rd trimester :D

So, long story short, I'm 'in'. I'd like to get back down to my pre pregnancy weight, and then set small goals until I am closer to where I want to be.

My favorite exercise is probably walking, the elliptical and yoga. Walking for me isn't wussy exercise, I call it stomping. I go out and walk at a vigorous pace for an hour or so and come home drenched in sweat. I discovered Core Power Yoga here and absolutely love it. I can't wait to go back to it once I've healed from the c-section. I have an elliptical machine that I bullied V into buying about two years ago. I have never done a full session on it.....tsk tsk me....

Starting the healthy food plan - which for us is usually lower glycemic eating and less alcohol and some mild exercise this week! I look forward to updating with what I hope are positive changes from next week. Great thread, thank you ball.and.chain 

IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
    IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
    BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards