December 2010 Moms

Stairs

How much freedom are you giving your toddlers when it comes to stairs - mainly if you have a full flight of stairs in your house?

I let DS go up & down on his own with me following behind or ahead. At least once a day, though, if he sees the gate at the bottom is open, he will take off up stairs on his own just b/c he knows he's not supposed to.

MH is extremely strict on this & will put DS in time out if he goes up/down on his own. I am more lenient, though b/c I feel like he is capable so long as he goes slowly & so long as he lets me know he's going to go.

I think that if he does it knowing he's not supposed to, he will run up quickly, which is more dangerous. If he's allowed to do it, then it wouldn't be a big deal & he wouldn't run, which would of course, be safer.

So what is your opinion?

(Our stairs are not carpeted, FWIW.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Stairs

• KJKNAJKJKNAJ
    Tenth Anniversary 250 Answers 1000 Comments 25 Love Its
    My DD is up and down ours as much as my 6yr old. No restrictions, nobody watching her. I had concerns last year, but now she's got it.

Oh, and mine are wood.

*** BFP #3 12.29.13 - angel baby at 8w2d - D&C 1.31.14 ***

• Wood stairs. I'm okay with him going up by himself. But worry with him going down.

• We have carpeted stairs, but either way, we watch him going down, usually with us at the base of the stairs (we have a landing halfway down).  Headed up we aren't as worried, but keep an eye on him, but do not have to be around the stairs until he starts to show signs of wanting to come down.  He's pretty good about using the hand rail to come down, but better safe than sorry.
  • lrn327lrn327
    5000 Comments 250 Answers Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its
    We're in a condo so the stairs are inside the building but not inside our house if that makes sense.  There's no other way to get to our door though so he's been going up and down them for a long time.  He doesn't run up them, wouldn't even know how to!  He occasionally tries to hop down them, but we tell him not to.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We don't have a gate (we moved into this house when she was 15 mo and good at stairs) and she pretty much has free reign of the stairs. I don't always follow behind her.

ETA: Our stairs are carpeted with a landing in the middle. I guess I'm the slacker parent here, but we haven't had any major issues! 

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kj07kj07
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 250 Answers 100 Love Its
    Our stairs are carpeted with a landing halfway up.  I'm much more free with the stairs than my H is and will let B go up and down on his own without my watching - drives my H crazy.  We do still have gates up, but mainly because we want to keep him on the same level as we are, not that we (well I) want to keep him off the stairs.
    photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • MH needs to loosen up, is what it comes down to, I think! lol.

DS started climbing the stairs at 9 months old & it's been a disagreement ever since! Now DD is climbing & it's double the argument.

• There are a lot of stairs at my mom's house, all hardwood. Hazel goes up and down them freely. I'm not at all concerned about it at this point. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our stairs are carpeted but I still go up and down with her every time. I know I need to, especially since the other day I was walking down in front of her, she tripped and I caught her while she was falling head first.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Our steps are similar to utlawgirls with the middle landing. If it wasn't for J we wouldn't have gates right now but J is climbing everything so the gates went back. I think A only fell down twice on the stairs in the spring. Once was he decided to throw a temper tantrum when we were walking upstairs for naptime, the 2nd he misjudged his step down and came down 23 steps. He started holding on to the rail better after that. Before he just kinda ignored my prompting to hold on. Live and learn I guess.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Audrina goes up and down when ever the gates are not up and I trust her.  She knows she has to keep her hand on the railing when going down.  

P.S. you kids are adorable in your siggy pic.  I have been trying to be around more often but we have just been so busy! 

TCC since 9-2008 with PCOS
    IUI 1500mg Metformin/5 mg Femera with trigger=BFP Beta #1=245, Beta #2=529
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have wood half flights, split level, and J goes up and down freely. He can't open the down gate but the one up to his room and bathroom he can do. I actually send him up to get stuff by himself a lot, like a diaper or his shoes.
    K is 14months now and she is doing really well with stairs too. Hopefully we can get rid of gates by the end of the year.

image   image

• We have one long flight of hardwood stairs - no landing.  I still go ahead of him when he's walking down and follow behind when he's walking up.  He's a bit clumsy and still slips sometimes, but it's usually only one step.  I worry he will slip and fall down the whole flight of stairs, so I still spot him. 

I think I'd be a little more lenient if there was a landing halfway and if DS wasn't so clumsy =P 

Pregnancy Ticker

• We never put up a gate on ours since we moved here when A was already 21 months old. It was a debate at the time, but she's only fallen a few times, and it's never more than a few stairs. She has free reign and will often be upstairs when I'm downstairs or vice versa.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • G walks up and down the stairs fine by himself.  Last month he actually fell down them (half a flight, we live in a 4 level split, not carpeted) but thats cause he was wearing shoes and going pretty fast.  I was very cautious after that incident but now I just make sure when hes wearing shoes, hes not allowed on the stairs.  I mean, he wasn't before but that bugger is fast.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Stairs are off limits to DD on her own for the most part. The 3 getting from our garage are fine, but we have a flight of stairs for the basement that are carpeted. The railing still seems to high for her, and they are open ( with no wall on one side) for half the steps. She gets silly and laughing many times in the stairs. She is doing better but we still follow her. She also has no need to be in basement alone. She knows stairs are a big no no in our house.  

• we have carpeted stairs with a landing in between.  O has fallen down them twice...ALL the way down...while DH was right in front of him.  he is not allowed to go them alone.  we stand right behind him while he is going up, and right next to him/in front of him while his going down.

we have a gate separating the living room and the stairs.  he knows how to open it, but gets a stern talking to if he does. 

• We prefer to accompany him up/down the stairs, but there are plenty of times when the gates are open (we have a cat who needs access) and DS navigates the stairs by himself.  I think it's fine, and I agree with you....if they're allowed to do it, it's not such a novelty anymore.  DS doesn't use the stairs because it's exciting -- he just wants to be upstairs or downstairs.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Our stairs are hardwood, with a carpet runner. We have a gate at the top, but mostly use it at bedtime/naps to ensure he doesn't come downstairs.

DS can go up and down by himself, but we usually accompany. He can get distracted, especially when he's excited, going too fast, or carrying something - like a toy or his blankie. 

• Mine are wood. He goes up and down as he pleases, but he's not allowed to be upstairs by himself (or be anywhere by himself really).  So if he goes up, I make him come right down.
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg