February 2014 Moms

When to..?

Kinda random but when/have you talk to your ob about birth preferences or birth plans? Or is that up to the hospital? I know some docs are pro c sections and others pro natural birth. I just want to find the right fit, thanks!
                       imageimage    

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When to..?

• SunukSunuk
    10 Comments 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    My midwife asked me at my first appointment
  • First appointment. You might end up finding out your doctor isn't on board with your preferences and you'll want to have plenty of time to find a new one. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Agree, ask early so you know if it is a good fit. 
    Lilypie - (qptF)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    "Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• Immediately. You should ask the OB what they're csection rate is. They should have an idea. Also find out if they like to schedule inductions on EVERYBODY or if just medically indicated or postdates. If you want a natural birth, make sure they're receptive to that. Some physicians are comfortable with different degrees of a natural birth. For example, a physician may be comfortable with no pain meds and llowing you to wlk around in labor, but want an IV in place to be prepared if something bad should happen. Find out if the OB that you're seeing is the one who delivers or if its just which physician in the group is on call.
    Face Slaps:  2/14 Siggy Challenge:
    The 20 Best Gif Slaps Of All Time
    Lilypie - (Q6LH)

Lilypie - (XhH1)
  • Also go on a tour of the hospital where your doctor delivers and find out what their standard practices are. One hospital where I live requires you to put your brand new baby in the nursery while you're transferred to your room. That doesn't fly with me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Wow i guess I'm really behind haha thanks everyone! I'm kinda nervous though, we're in a really small town and I only have one hospital choice so I hope I like it or else I don't know what I'm going to do :
                           imageimage    

• My midwife and I discussed my homebirth at my first appointment and then have a full two hour appointment at 24 weeks to go over the birth plan, and the logistics of everything I want. Ie water birth, I will do my own cervical exams during labor, being left alone etc etc.
    DS Born July 25th, 2010
    BFP #2 26/03/13 - Our twins became angels 28/04/13
    DD Born at home on February 7th, 2014

Family (9)
  • Ditto what the others said. I would just mention, "My birth goal is to..." Then go over it closer to delivery.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    View Full Size Image
  • image Stephanie185:
    My midwife and I discussed my homebirth at my first appointment and then have a full two hour appointment at 24 weeks to go over the birth plan, and the logistics of everything I want. Ie water birth, I will do my own cervical exams during labor, being left alone etc etc.

Your doing your own cervical exams?  I've never heard of such a thing.  I wouldn't even know what I was feeling... 

Anniversary

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • image MamaVantobe:

Your doing your own cervical exams?  I've never heard of such a thing.  I wouldn't even know what I was feeling... 

Exactly what I was thinking.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is just my perspective from an L&D nurse.  No doctor is "pro c-section".  They don't do them "just because".  If there is a medical reason/indication that's a different story.  I would just ask what's allowed at the hospital your going to deliver at.  Example...if a patient is on pitocin, they have to remain on the monitors, so you can't walk the halls, but you can stand at the bedside, use the birthing ball etc...

If your looking for a more 'natural' birth (not as in mo pain meds), a midwife may be a better fit for you.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bring it up whenever you want. Ask as many questions as you feel you need to be comfortable with the birth plan you choose.

My life, my love, my boys
    imageimage

DS: Liam born 8.30.10 at 35 wks (PPROM, Pre-E, C-Section)

DD: BFP 6.9.13, EDD 2.12.14, A/S 9.20.13... It's a Girl!

Adeline Leigh born sleeping 2.11.14 at 39 wks 6 days

How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts. - Dorothy Ferguson

• I think it's important to start the discussion early, and you can bring up things as often as you want. There's no need to wait, just mention what things you'd like to have happen, ask how they deal with certain complications like going past 40wks, etc. and standard hospital protocols.  You may be surprised how receptive your Dr is to natural options. I know mine were fine with my requests. The only thing I had to "change" was getting an IV because I was Group B Strep positive. I also had continuous monitoring, but was allowed off if I wanted to get up to shower/use the bathroom/etc. However, I was actually happiest sitting in bed, go figure.

Also, talk to them about having an actual written birth plan vs. just talking about it ahead of time. With an OB and hospital birth, most of your labor will be spent with whatever L&D nurse you get assigned to at check-in. So it's important to talk with the Dr, but also have a written plan to give the nurse or person who can advocate for you like your H, or a friend, or doula. In labor, you don't want to deal with that stuff you will be focused on getting the human out of your body. Also, if you don't like your nurse, ask for a new one. My 2nd nurse made the difference in me having a med-free birth. We just happened to arrive right before shift change, and the first nurse was awful and kept pushing epi even though we told her I didn't want one and I had just arrived. It was frustrating and I was so happy when she left. My H said he wanted to punch her, lol.

Definitely take the hospital tour and ask questions about standard procedures. 

It is totally possible to have a vaginal, med-free, hospital birth with an OB but communication is so important.

Also, during labor if Dr recommends doing something to augment labor - like AROM or starting pitocin, ask (or have your partner/doula ask) why are they suggesting this, what are the risks of doing it, what are the risks of not, are there other options, and can we wait?   You can then make an informed decision whether to proceed, not, or wait and see. 

Finally, these discussions are so important beyond getting your wishes known but to help you have trust in your Dr making the best recommendations for your care. If things don't go as planned, and they often don't, you can at least know the decisions made were the best choice for your circumstances and not feel like your Dr pushed something on you. 

imageimage