Baby Names

Soraya again

So, a follow up to my previous post. I had seen Soraya written out and assumed the pronunciation So ray uh, which I thought was beautiful. Now I am discovering it is usually pronounced So rye uh, which I think sounds like psoriasis. Would it be weird to pronounce it So ray uh, even though that is not traditional?

Re: Soraya again

• Soraya is a pretty common Middle Eastern name. I wouldn't change the pronunciation.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

• I don't think it is a good idea to change the pronunciation. You either like the name or you don't.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagestahlop:
    Soraya is a pretty common Middle Eastern name. I wouldn't change the pronunciation.

I know a girl who spells it Sreyah. 

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
  • I had a student Soraya pronounced So RYE uh so personally I would be confused with So RAY uh. I wouldn't recommended staying from the traditional pronunciation.

• imageCabbageCabbage:
    Would it be weird to name your kid George and pronounce it gorge? Yes. Same thing.nbsp;

Ugh, this! I had a student with a VERY common name that the parents insisted be pronounced differently, read: incorrectly. She had to constantly correct other teachers or kids. And I had to train myself to say it that way when I know a handful of other people with the same name, pronounced traditionally. What a PITA.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • From what I find online, both pronunciations are legitimate. What I am trying to determine is if that info is correct and or if people would assume I was just making up the pronunciation. I am against mispronouncing names as well.
  • My DHs cousin is Sariah.
  • imageJoy2611:
    I think the so-rye-uh pronunciation is beautiful.
    Ditto, love this name.
  • I think it would be weird and you would constantly be correcting people..  yeah I can't get over the psoriasis connection either way
  • imageg8trkim:
    I had a student Soraya pronounced So RYE uh so personally I would be confused with So RAY uh. I wouldn't recommended staying from the traditional pronunciation.

This. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I agree with you, I've heard it pronounced suh-RAY-uh. I don't think it's weird at all. I think both pronunciations are legitimate. In fact, suh-RAY-uh is the only pronunciation I've ever heard, and I know someone with this name.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecrwelschmeyer:

imageg8trkim:
    I had a student Soraya pronounced So RYE uh so personally I would be confused with So RAY uh. I wouldn't recommended staying from the traditional pronunciation.

This. 

Ditto. I've met two Sorraya's and they both pronounced it so-RYE-uh. Plus I don't think so-RAY-uh sounds as pretty anyway.

ETA: Either way, even if so-RAY-uh is an acceptable pronunciation somewhere, it sounds like the vast majority of people would assume that it's incorrect or made-up, so that may be something to take into consideration.

Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagequeenbone:
    I don't think it is a good idea to change the pronunciation. You either like the name or you don't.

This
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"