May 2013 Moms

Weaning

Does anybody have advice on weaning??? I asked this question on the breast feeding board and the women were rude to me about it. As much as I love BF it's caused me extreme anxiety and its time for me and my mental health to call it quits.

Re: Weaning

• People weren't rude to you.  They offered alternative solutions to weaning.  You didn't state why you needed to wean and I think if you did, you would not have gotten suggestions on how to continue to BF. 

A lot of us read multiple boards, so probably not a good idea to talk about other boards being rude to you... 

• I saw the post, and they were not rude at all.  However, they did not really answer the question either.  Maybe if you give more info you'll get more advice?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to my buddies Shazzie and Madeline10L on their little ladies!
  • I recommend doing it slowly.  Have you pumped at all?  You are going to want to mix your LO's bottles at first.  I'm not sure how many ounces they take at this age, but for example, a 4 oz bottle, you're going to want to start with 3 oz of bm, 1 oz of formula, and gradually work your way to a full formula bottle over the course of a week or so.

As far as your breasts are concerned, you want to pump until you get relief from the engorgement but don't empty them or you will continue to produce milk.  I heard cabbage leaves help some.  If you are not pumping for your LO, sudafed will help dry you up too, but you don't want it in the milk you are giving them.

I hope this helps.

SAHM to two beautiful girls. A - 9/16/11 E - 4/29/13
  • Personally I don't think you needed to explain why you want to wean since you weren't asking advice on how to stick with BFing. I am glad you asked because my LO is 7 weeks and I am going to ask our pedi on Friday about possibly weaning because I am going back to work next week and don't know if I will be able to stick with EBFing.
    image imageimage

• image beaubecca:
    Personally I don't think you needed to explain why you want to wean since you weren't asking advice on how to stick with BFing. I am glad you asked because my LO is 7 weeks and I am going to ask our pedi on Friday about possibly weaning because I am going back to work next week and don't know if I will be able to stick with EBFing.

The breastfeeding board is typically for women who are breastfeeding. Noone was rude at all. It is a community of women who encourage breastfeeding. Without a backstory, they are going to do just that.
  • image courtnif:
    image beaubecca:
    Personally I don't think you needed to explain why you want to wean since you weren't asking advice on how to stick with BFing. I am glad you asked because my LO is 7 weeks and I am going to ask our pedi on Friday about possibly weaning because I am going back to work next week and don't know if I will be able to stick with EBFing.

The breastfeeding board is typically for women who are breastfeeding. Noone was rude at all. It is a community of women who encourage breastfeeding. Without a backstory, they are going to do just that.

I didnt say they were rude. Also weaning is a part of the BFing process.
    image imageimage

• pnutgpnutg
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm trying to wean too, because of pain, and I'm having a heck of a time. It's just a different pain at this point. I'm going to try cabbage leaves.

-1st BFP 5/24/12, EDD 1/25/13, MMC 6/19/12 at 8 weeks, D&C 6/29/12
    -2nd BFP 9/15/12, EDD 5/20/13. CLH born 5/22/13!
  • I didn't read the other board, but when I stopped with my other kids I tried to get it over with quickly. I switched the baby entirely to bottles, of breast milk or formula, and no more nursing. I'd go as long as I could until I was really uncomfortable, then pump a little just for some relief.

It was a pretty lousy week or so, but good luck to you.
  • AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer

To wean, Ideally you would drop the nursing session(or pumping session) that annoys you the most, and substitute formula bottle for that feeding.  Try to not pump at all for that feeding and if possible wait a day or 3 for your body to adjust to that before changing another feeding to formula.

At the same time you can also drink less water, which being slightly dehydrated will lower your supply.  Sage tea or lots of sage on your chicken or pork chops.  Peppermints.  Sudafed old fashioned will lower your prolactin level.  Try not to um, hard to say this, and it sounds bad, but try not hold baby a lot for a few days, as the skin to skin contact raises your prolactin level which is your breastfeeding hormone. 

I do not recommend weaning to formula cold turkey because that will raise your risk of mastitis (breast infection usually requiring antibiotics) --you don't need illness on top of the hormonal changes that will occur with weaning.

if you are weaning because of anxiety or feeling touched out, or other similar reasons, a lot of moms will find that switching to formula for a feeding or two a day especially like the one at the end of the day right when everyone gets home from work will significantly decrease the stress level and allow you to enjoy any other nursing sessions.

Similarly some moms when they return to work decide to feed formula while they are at work and nurse when with baby.  That usually works out for 3-6 mos, sometims longer depending on how often baby nurses when together and whether they are STTN. 

There are a lot of options, including switching completely to formula.  Ideally you'd try to do the weaning process over the course of a week, as it takes about 3-4 days before baby adjusts to the formula where they may show signs of intolerance or other issues.  slowly changing is easier on baby's system.

good luck!

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.