April 2013 Moms

When to supplement?

mobile: When to supplement?

So LO finally took a bottle yesterday. And today he did amazing at my mom's. In 6 hours, he drank all 8 oz I had pumped the previous day.  I feed him right before I hand him off to her and once I get him back.

My mom thinks he may still have eaten more if given the chance. So my question is, when do I know that I need to start supplementing with formula during the day?

I realize this is just the first day and my supply may regulate but I'm just trying to get a feel for what to look for just in case I don't produce enough.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

Re: When to supplement?

• Maybe if your not producing enough milk or baby is not satisfied. Other then that I would say it's up to you.
  • There is a difference between will take more and unsatisfied. So two 4oz bottles is probably good for 46 hours away from you.
  • You will produce enough. Keep pumping, nursing. Don't supplement
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • How long are you gone from LO? How often do you pump?

We had an issue with our day care asking for bigger bottles, we tried really hard to avoid this- I knew 4 oz was enough for him since I had tried a few practice days and tried to follow the rule that kellymom.com was telling me (they have a calculator that helps you compute the size of bottles). After a few weeks, they finally realized he just needed soothing and was adjusting to his new schedule and he is fine now. So maybe he's not hungry, maybe the care taker needs to get to know him better?

BTW- I have to pump 4 times to get enough for 3 bottles some days. The mornings are key for me to pump- thats when I get the most. Make sure you drink lots of water, don't skip a pumping session and nurse your baby as much as you can outside of work hours. You can do this- try to avoid supplementing if you can.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 8 Oz in 6 hrs seems like a lot. My 12 weeks old eats about 3oz every 4 hours and she's a chunky monkey. I know my mom loves to feed LO and we finally had to talk about her ques and not just giving the bottle at every little fuss. Babies will eat as long as you give them food.

If you are truly worried about supply you can pump after more feedings to stimulate more supply or add in some power pump sessions. You can also add things to your diet or add herbal supplements.

If you WANT to supplement then you can start doing so whenever you want.

• Trin42Trin42
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper

Thanks everyone! I don't want to supplement but I'm afraid he won't get enought to eat. I'll be pumping every 2.5 hours (so 3x while i'm away from him for 8.5 hours).  I know my mom needs to get to know him better still.

I'm just worried b/c I only have about an hour with him in the morning before we drive to drop him off and then I have him for about 2-3 hours after picking him up before he goes to bed.  He STTN so I'm not sure if that's enough time to fill him up if he's only eating 12 oz while away from me. 

I just need to stop worrying and see how things go.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
  • image RussianMommy:
    You will produce enough. Keep pumping, nursing. Don't supplement

Not trying to hijack this post but I really take offense to comments like these. Just because you are able to produce enough, doesn't mean every woman can. I have been working on my supply for 14 weeks and still need to supplement roughly 30 percent of my son's milk intake. Dismissing this possibility as if it is an impossible circumstance is insensitive to women such as myself who have invested countless hours, money and tears into trying to EBF but still need to supplement in order for their child to eat enough. True low supply, while rare, does exist.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image megandscott07:
    image RussianMommy:

Not trying to hijack this post but I really take offense to comments like these. Just because you are able to produce enough, doesn't mean every woman can. I have been working on my supply for 14 weeks and still need to supplement roughly 30 percent of my son's milk intake. Dismissing this possibility as if it is an impossible circumstance is insensitive to women such as myself who have invested countless hours, money and tears into trying to EBF but still need to supplement in order for their child to eat enough. True low supply, while rare, does exist.

My post was to try and encourage the OP, nothing to do with dismissing anything. If you're offended then I apologize.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Thanks RussianMommy, I appreciate it! [mobile smiley]

Anniversary

• image RussianMommy:

yup. 

• If you don't want to supplement, try pumping everyday first thing in the morning. You should be able to pump a good amount at that time of day and your body should adjust to produce more. I've fine this worth both of my children in order to build a stash.
  • image megandscott07:
    image RussianMommy:

This. I've been back to work three weeks and despite pumping three times a day, drinking a ton of water, eating oatmeal every morning, and taking fenugreek, it's not enough. My daughter gets 12 bottles of formula a day. OP, no shame in supplementing if you're not able to pump enough.
    BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • image rcantor:
    image megandscott07:
    image RussianMommy:
    This. I've been back to work three weeks and despite pumping three times a day, drinking a ton of water, eating oatmeal every morning, and taking fenugreek, it's not enough. My daughter gets 12 bottles of formula a day. OP, no shame in supplementing if you're not able to pump enough.

TWELVE bottles a day -- or do you mean 1-2 bottles a day?!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image JSS1002:

image rcantor:
    image megandscott07:
    image RussianMommy:

TWELVE bottles a day -- or do you mean 1-2 bottles a day?!

I'm guessing she meant 1 to 2...mobile eats punctuation!

Anniversary

• image katie6/26/04:
    If you don't want to supplement, try pumping everyday first thing in the morning. You should be able to pump a good amount at that time of day and your body should adjust to produce more. I've fine this worth both of my children in order to build a stash.

Agree.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 10/22/13 - 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

• image NicoleSB80:
    8 Oz in 6 hrs seems like a lot. My 12 weeks old eats about 3oz every 4 hours and she's a chunky monkey. I know my mom loves to feed LO and we finally had to talk about her ques and not just giving the bottle at every little fuss. Babies will eat as long as you give them food. If you are truly worried about supply you can pump after more feedings to stimulate more supply or add in some power pump sessions. You can also add things to your diet or add herbal supplements. If you WANT to supplement then you can start doing so whenever you want.

I don't think that's necessarily true.  DS is admittedly huge, but he takes 3, 5 oz bottles while I am at work so he eats 15 oz in 6 hours.  Plus, he still wakes up once in the night to eat (and eats again in the morning and at night so he eats a total of about 27-30 oz per day). Some babies are just big eaters and he won't continue to eat when he's not hungry...

TTC #1 with PCOS
    5/12 & 5/13/09 b2b IUIs with Follistim and HCG--BFP!
    TTC #2
    7/16/12-Follistim 7.5mg+IUI = BFP!! Beta #1-392 (15 DPO)

BabyFetus Ticker