February 2013 Moms

Feeding Times

Just curious, at this stage in the game how long does it take your LO's to eat?

I EBF, my DS is 20 weeks old, and 99 percent of the time he eats from both sides at 4 to 7 minutes each side which I feel is really fast.

If he gets a bottle of pumped milk he eats 4.5 ounces and downs it in 8 to 10 minutes, even with a couple burps.

Since I've been back at work and he's been getting more bottles I think he is gaining weight more rapidly then before. Makes me wonder if he finishes so quickly because he isn't getting enough directly from the tap, or if he is just more efficient now so he eats faster...

Re: Feeding Times

• I was wondering that as well, if my supply might be going down. But I have read that they get more efficient as they get bigger and it takes them minutes to finish eating, rather than the 20 minutes per side when they're first born.
    When E is really hungry and not distracted, she can finish eating in no more than 10 minutes.
    Although I have noticed my morning pump at work has gone from 12oz down to about 8oz.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Sometimes DD eats from ONE side in 5 minutes or less. Pretty much the only time it takes her 10 minutes or longer is in the early morning when she's really hungry and sleepy. I think they just get faster the older they are.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14

• DD has gotten a lot faster. When I brought her home it took 45 min to feed her. Now she can finish in about 15. But she also doesn't have the patience to wait for another let down so she's still eating frequently. As for the bottle feeding, when my mom was watching DD she was being overfed. She would chug 4 oz no problem and then want more an hour later to help her go to sleep. My peanut was taking in 20 to 24 oz while I was at work. Then she wouldn't want to eat in the evening but she would still get up at night. Now that it's summer vacation she eats consistently all day and we're back down to one wake up.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• At 4 mos, my supply had dramatically dropped. At her 4 mos appt she had only gained 2 oz from her previous appt 2 weeks prior. I was forced to FF and tried to pump as much as I could and it kept going down. Since she's been FF she had gained 2.5 lbs in 2 weeks. It's such a guilty feeling to realize you aren't able to adequately supply for your LO, but I got over it.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers