Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Homemade baby food

Hi, 

I am here a little early, my LO is only 5 weeks old, but I know I want to attempt to make my own baby food when the time comes.  I figured I had a few months to make the decision, but last night my blander broke. If possible I would like to get one machine that I can use of LO's food as well as DH's stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations for blenders to make baby food, or do you prefer your food processor?

Re: Homemade baby food

• I just use a cheap ($15ish) 3 cup food processor and it works great! I've only used our blender (an inexpensive black and decker one) for when I made peas because I read you can make them smoother consistency with a blender and it worked good for that. As I said though you can make everything pretty much with a cheap food processor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am BLW, so I don't blend anything, but with DD1, I just used a food processor. I think it's silly to waste a bunch of money on a "baby food maker" when you can get a nice processor for less. I have a 1 quart one, and I would just steam some veggies or fruits, and throw em in. Carrots needed a little hot water to get a better texture though.

Now though, I just cut stuff up in to little pieces and let LO go to town. She loves feeding herself, because I am too slow on the mornings she gets yogurt and I don't want to make a mess haha.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • I second the immersion blender.  Its easy to store and not as many parts to clean. 

Wickedly nice Step Mom to JJ since 5/2/09
    Born 7/26/01-- Adopted 3/6/02

Two and a Half Years, Too Many Treatments, One Precious Miracle
    Abby born 11/5/12 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I made a few pureed, green beans, peas, apple, carrots, before switching to BLW. I just used my regular blender and played around with the different blends and settings.

• I love my immersion blender. We already had it and I find it way easier to clean than a blender. But honestly I think anything will do the job... Immersion blender, food processor, blender.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imagethis decaf life:

This is what I use too - they have so many uses, in addition to baby food. Works great for us! 

Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Baby Brezza. My favorite kitchen item now!!! Gotta get it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use my husbands magic bullet.  Works great!
  • I LOVE my Beaba Baby Cooker. It steams the food and then you can puree it all in one machine. You can just put the veggies/fruit in and walk away and it's done steaming in 10-15 min. Then you can use the same water to blend/puree the food. I only have to clean one item. It's pricier than other options but that's because it's more convenient. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I received a baby bullet as a shower gift and I love it! It comes with a "recipes" for 4months to toddler age, and explains what age to introduce what foods, and a little booklet that explains how to choose the best fruits and veggies, and the storage cups are great. I'm completely obsessed with making his foods and the baby bullet makes it so easy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This is definitely a specialty item that you can skip. Unless you start feeding super early, you'll only be making purees for a few months, and they can easily be done in a blender. Also, you might want to wait until your babe is at that stage, because I thought I would do BLW but he preferred purees. And I know some people who think they'll do purees but they go straight to BLW.
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Baby brezza is what I use and it's fantastic! Some may say it's not necessary but I don't like to cook, so this steam and blend in one step function is amazing. But the best part I think is the thawing function...I just grab a container from the freezer and pop it in to thaw and we are headed out to daycare with her meals!
  • We got the Baby Bullet as a gift and I bought a separate vegetable steamer, though I do bake some items like sweet potatoes.  I love the Baby Bullet!
    Christa
    Adopted a baby girl in January 2013 via domestic infant adoption
    "One and Done!"  Now we spend our time traveling the world as a family

My Blog: Travel Fearlessly
  • I LOVE my Beaba Baby Cooker. It steams the food and then you can puree it all in one machine. You can just put the veggies/fruit in and walk away and it's done steaming in 10-15 min. Then you can use the same water to blend/puree the food. I only have to clean one item. It's pricier than other options but that's because it's more convenient. 
    We have this too and I love it, I've been using it since my first LO started solids, it's still going strong!  I know a lot of people think it's a waste, but for me, the convenience of not having to pull out any other cookware is worth it.  I wanted something I could steam the food in too, without having to use a pot of boiling water with a steamer basket on top (maybe there's other options, but that's all I've ever steamed other things with).  It's small to keep on the counter and works awesome.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I have a food processor that has different blade attachments for blending, shredding, and chopping. I love it and it purées things so easily. We did avocados with a tbs of formula and the consistency came out great. I prefer it over a blender because you can do so many different things with it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"