Trying to Get Pregnant

HSG Test

Hello, I don't post much on here just mostly lurk.  My husband and I have been trying for awhile to get pregnant and my doctor mentioned maybe having an HSG test to see if everything is ok. 

Just looking for any comments on it.  I've heard some comments that it hurts a lot.  Did you go alone or did you have someone go with you?  I know a lot of people do it because they say that it makes you more fertile afterwards.  I guess I just want to make sure everything is ok with me so I know if I should start looking for a fertility doctor.

Any thoughts on the HSG test or anything else would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: HSG Test

• How long have you been trying for? What are you doing to ensure you are hitting your fertility window? using OPKs temping etc?

It is suggested that if you are under 35 to wait a year and over 35 to wait 6 months prior to perusing testing.

And HSG depends on the person, I had a lot of painful cramping during mine but it is short lived and goes away once the test is complete. I was able to go by myself and if H had come he would not have been allowed back in the room with me because it is an x-ray.

Started TTC 5/2011 Finally expecting #1, I am 36 and hubs is 37
    Oct 2013 IVF#1 BFN, 1 blast on ice Dec 2013 FET - Dec 20th transferred 4AB blast - BFP!
    Due September 7, 2014  Beta #1 = 230 Beta #2 = 478 
    1 healthy penguin-7 wk US showed heartbeat of 128
     Bloggity blog
    imageimageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • See http://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/75357913.aspx

I had mine a week ago.  I was super nervous.  I took some Advil an hour before.  I didn't feel anything except for the speculum.  It was over is less than two minutes (literally).  Based on my conversation with the radiologist, the tech and the RN, my experience is more common that "what I read on the internet." 

****SIGGY/TICKER WARNING****

imageimageimage
    TTC #1 since 9/2012    Me: 34/DOR  DH: 34/Extremely low volume/count  
     9/2013 IVF#1 w/ICSI   Antagonist 4R/3M/1F  3dt of 3 cell embryo = BFN
    11/2013 IVF#2 w/ICSI MDLF  7R/4M/3F 3dt 8cell & 6cell - top grades = FIRST EVER BFP :) 
     TEAM GREEN turned BLUE 8/2014.  <3
  • We have been trying for over a year but only temping and using OPK's for about 4 months. I will be 35 in 2 days. 
  • image t2mofok:
    We have been trying for over a year but only temping and using OPK's for about 4 months. I will be 35 in 2 days. 
    I would recommend finding an RE to do the test through, some will not accept tests from other doctors. You could find an RE and ask if they will accept the test from your OB if you feel more comfortable with that but they are more experienced.

Sorry you find yourself in this position.

Started TTC 5/2011 Finally expecting #1, I am 36 and hubs is 37
    Oct 2013 IVF#1 BFN, 1 blast on ice Dec 2013 FET - Dec 20th transferred 4AB blast - BFP!
    Due September 7, 2014  Beta #1 = 230 Beta #2 = 478 
    1 healthy penguin-7 wk US showed heartbeat of 128
     Bloggity blog
    imageimageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • For me, yes the test was painful, but it was also very quick.  Not everyone has the same experience though, some women find the test no more painful than a pap.  My husband did come with me, but he sat in the waiting room since he wasn't allowed back during the test.  The test is a diagnostic tool, I wouldn't count on it to "make you more fertile."

imageimageimage

imageimage

imageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (31): SA is ok, slightly low morph  Me (31): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, and border line high NK cells

October 2012: Clomid + IUI w/ OB/GYN = BFN

November 2012 - March 2013: Break while finding the right RE and more testing

April 2013: Unmedicated IUI #2 due to hostile CM = BFN

May 2013: Clomid + Trigger + IUI #3 = BFN

June 2013: Clomid + Trigger + IUI #4 = BFN

August 2013: IVF w/ICSI #1 6R 5M 3F All 3 embryos are slow growing and poor quality.  All 3 arrest before transfer

October 2013: IVF w/ICSI #2 8R 7M 5F Transferred 1 beautiful early blast.  Nothing to freeze.  BFP! Beta #1 14.6  Beta #2  3  Chemical Pregnancy

January 2014: IVFw/ICSI #3  8R 8M 8F Transferred 1 grade 1 expanded blast and 1 grade 2 early blast.  Nothing to Freeze.  BFN

February-March 2014: Getting Second Opinions from RMA NJ

March 2014: Start Embryo Adoption/Donation with FIRM.  We've selected our donor and have 9 snowflakes!

May 2014: FET w/ donor embryos- Transferred 2 blasts and 1 morula, nothing to re-freeze.  BFN

June-August 2014: On a treatment break until our appt. w/ Dr. KK August 14th

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• I had the test done recently just minor cramping that went away almost immediately after the procedure. You shouldn't need to bring anyone with you. I had the test because it was required before I can start treatments to make sure there are no blockages.

TTC Since 11/12, PCOS
    6/13 - HSG - Clear/normal
    6/13 - SA - Normal, 4 percent morphology
    6/13 - Metformin
    9/13 First round of 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + TI
    9/30/13 - BFP! 
    10/7/13 - HCG 246

• I recommend getting it if you feel something could be wrong. Mine was painful but we were able to see my left tube was completely blocked and needed to be removed. It was doing more harm than good. Without the HSGI may have been trying longer with yet no rresults. I am only 24.
  • MrsRKJMrsRKJ
    1000 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer

I had DH come with me, but like PP's said, he had to stay out in the waiting room.  It didn't hurt for me, but I took a motrin (or 2!) an hour before the procedure just to help if there was any residual discomfort.

I don't know about making you more fertile afterwards, however I had my HSG in July 2012, and got pregnant in August 2012.

Good luck! 

Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTA until 2014