Parenting

Worst job

I was lurking on another board and saw a conversation about making pancakes.

I cringed. Since I basically hate all breakfast food because of my high school and college jobs. I worked at IHOP as a server and also a small breakfast restaurant owned by a couple, also as a server. The owner of the small restaurant only had one other cook besides himself and the other guy would often call out. The owner would pull me from serving and have me cook on a busy Sunday morning. I have nightmares about trying to differentiate between over easy and medium well eggs. So, I hate breakfast food. Sad.

This got me thinking. What was your worst job?

Re: Worst job

• Currency Exchange. People were crazy and down right scary if things didn't go their way.
  • I cleaned rooms at a hotel one summer during high school. It was physically harder than I thought it would be. At the end of the day my back would be SO sore! And I saw some super nasty stuff.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image JuneBug86:
    I cleaned rooms at a hotel one summer during high school. It was physically harder than I thought it would be. At the end of the day my back would be SO sore! And I saw some super nasty stuff.

Ugh, I can only imagine what you saw. There's not enough money in the world...
  • Waiting tables was my hardest job physically, but it was my favorite.  Any job I've stayed at I've always loved.  I did work at the gardening area in Meijer and it was a joke and I left, lol.

I cannot work in an environment where you are expected to look busy all the time and yet there really, truly is NOTHING to do.  That's what it was like.  It's why I hate getting pulled to the tower at the hospital.  It's run completely different from my floor.  The aides aren't even allowed to sit down in the station!  Eff that.  I'm not going to go hide somewhere at 4AM because there's nothing to do and I can't appear to be doing nothing. 

• I worked the closing shift at McDonald's for two years in high school, then summers and breaks in college. I had to clean the fry station and the fry hopper - both of which were covered in grease. Bleh.
    "I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 10/22/13 - 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

• ToysRUs, open until mid-night, put *** away for 3 hours.  It was at Christmas
    Lilypie - (L4SA)
    Lilypie - (I4o1)
  • Out of the jobs I had, I hated working in a call center the most.... I worked for an outsourced company that took Verizon Wireless customer service calls (so not directly for Verizon, they contracted to us), and it was horrible....the company more so than the job itself.  So micromanaged, with illogical and unfair expectations ...crappy management... just...blah.

And of course....it was taking customer service calls for a cell phone company -- you can imagine the crazy. 

Equally horrible job (these two are tied) was working the back to school season at Mervyns (a department store...not a nice one like Macy's, less classy).... and I worked in the Kids department.  Horrible messes everywhere, rude customers and the store manager was a witch.  I was not sad and had no interest in staying once that season ended.. 

imageimage
    There is no dark side of the moon, really; matter of fact, it's all dark.
  • Part time gig at Macy's between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Not only were 75% of the customers complete assholes, two "workers" there would constantly leave to go shopping at other stores in the mall, leaving whomever was left in that particular area (usually me) to fend for themselves during the busy times.  Then they would come back right before the manager would make her rounds and talk up how awesome it was to work at Macy's.   They were hired on as permanent workers and I got the boot because I wasn't "working hard enough".    These two also made it a point of talking smack about the other workers and stealing their sales. 

I hated that place but I started feeling better when I went back about 7 years later and realized they were still there, working the same job, and I was making something like 6x what they made. 

imageimage

Yes.  Yes you are, Benny.  (Bonus: Chris Pine!!!!eleventy111sploosh)

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

I still remember CG telling me my legs would slide off Finnick's shoulders. In my head I said, "we really should be friends." ~LauraT25

"You are annoying and seem to have nothing better to do than talk about cookie pie and insult others." ~ Troll du jour

• In high school I worked at a country club as a lifeguard. My boss was an absolute biatch. For some reason they made the lifeguards clean the restrooms outside by the pool. One night someone pooped on the floor. They made me clean it up without gloves. Which cleaning it up to begin with is illegal in my state unless you have had special training, I was also a minor!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For my first job when I was 15 I was a dietary aide (aka waitress) at a retirement facility. Those old folks were very demanding! I remember one time all of my co-workers called out except me and cook. We were late getting the food out and the old ppl were pounding down the kitchen door. I actually got a little scared. I also learned how to use a giant dishwasher that night and got soaked. Not fun.

When I was in college I worked for a summer at a daycare in the three-year-old room. Those kids were nuts but at least they were cute. That was the most physically demanding job (running around with kids and lugging them around - usually two at a time). I was exhausted every night. Spaghetti day and splash day were the WORST.

• Working in a call center for a major security company.  It was short staffed, so customers were on hold for 20-30 minutes at a time, so by the time I got to someone's call, they'd b*tch me out about the wait.  Every.Single.Customer.  Then they'd be rude to me for the rest of the call.  I lasted 2 weeks.
  • SpookoSpooko
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Combo Breaker

I've only worked 3 or 4 jobs, but cleaning at a hotel was definitely the worst. Especially when they had a triathlon in the area and every surface of the hotel bathrooms would be covered in body hair from the people shaving in preparation. Nastiness. Once, a hotel guest declined their room being cleaned and then later biitched that we didn't vacuum and I had to stay late. Um, hello, if you decline service and say you only want towels, I can't read your mind and say, oh well lemme just vacuum while I'm at it.

The job I stayed at the longest wasn't the worst, but there were some aspects about it that I hated. It'd be hard to explain it if you didn't know the particular place, though, because the issues were kind of unique. 

• I worked in catering/waiting tables between grad school and getting a real job.  The management sucked, the sanitation of some of the workers was poor, and I can't tell you how many times I busted my butt working late to help out my boss, only to get my hours cut later that week because they didn't want me to get O/T.  

It's the only job I ever walked out without giving 2 weeks notice...and they ended up causing a Hep A outbreak about 6 months after I left (I wasn't surprised).

Lilypie - (vjFY)image

• Dog walker in NYC. In the summer. Ugh. I saw some swanky pads of the NYC rich, though, so that part was fun.

I always had a love hate relationship with my job teaching at KinderCare. I have stories about parents, teachers, directors, and KinderCare corporate that would make your head spin.
  • SpookoSpooko

image Estwd2:
    Dog walker in NYC. In the summer. Ugh. I saw some swanky pads of the NYC rich, though, so that part was fun. I always had a love hate relationship with my job teaching at KinderCare. I have stories about parents, teachers, directors, and KinderCare corporate that would make your head spin.

Start another post and tell the stories. I'm interested. 

• image Spooko:

image Estwd2:
    Dog walker in NYC. In the summer. Ugh. I saw some swanky pads of the NYC rich, though, so that part was fun.

I always had a love hate relationship with my job teaching at KinderCare. I have stories about parents, teachers, directors, and KinderCare corporate that would make your head spin.

LOL, can I do it tomorrow? Too much to type on mobile!
  • I worked at a DQ through high school. My bosses were insane. It was a husband and wife. When things would break, she would cry and throw things and ask why we hated her. He was even weirder... Eventually I quit because they refused to give me a raise even though I had seniority. The reason? I refused to babysit their 16 year old sons (I was 18) when they were on vacation.
    "The first time his laughter unfurled its wings in the world, we knew that life would never be the same."
    11.27.09*03.04.11*11.02.12*03.04.13*04.12.13*EDD 01.07.15

imageimage

*~*All AL Welcome*~*

• SpookoSpooko
    image Estwd2:
    image Spooko:

image Estwd2:
    Dog walker in NYC. In the summer. Ugh. I saw some swanky pads of the NYC rich, though, so that part was fun. I always had a love hate relationship with my job teaching at KinderCare. I have stories about parents, teachers, directors, and KinderCare corporate that would make your head spin.

LOL, can I do it tomorrow? Too much to type on mobile!

Please do! I'll watch for it. 

• Barnes and Noble. The staff was cool but I couldn't stand the managers. It was the location downtown so homeless people would frequently hang out in the store. Sometimes they would get nasty or beligerent. I felt bad for them but I was young and it was kind of scary at times. The hours sucked why is a bookstore open until 11:00 at night??? and you would be amazed at what kind of nastiness people leave on bookshelves or even IN books. I worked the children's section and people would leave their kids there unsupervised while they shopped. One time we had to call the cops because a dad had left his son and was at Publix next door shopping. The kid was running amok, wouldn't talk to anyone, and no parent to be found. Lovely.

image image
  • Working concession at AMC Theaters when Titanic came out. What a friggin nightmare.

• The kitchen of a convenience store. People were rude. Customers and coworkers. We were constantly understaffed. I had one break in the year I worked there.
    Bonus Mom to the Bean: June '06
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

image  image

"Oh Bryn, you see through the dark
    Right past the fireflies that sleep in my heart." - Vampire Weekend
    "So if you dare to second guess, you can rest assured that all my love's for you.
    My beating heart belongs to you." - Billie Joe Armstrong
    "So don't don't don't get up. I can't see the sunshine. I'll be waiting for you, baby--
    'cause I'm through." - Julian Casablancas

Follow me on Tumblr!

Black Out: my work-in-progress

Fun Direction
  • I worked in housekeeping at a hospital one summer. Everything about it was awful.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (yDpE)

• I worked in a kennel. 'Nuff said!

Hysterectomy after Stage IV Endometriosis
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Charlotte Rocks!

• Grocery store cashier and payment office for a phone company. At the first, I had change thrown at me, and the second was just sad sometimes because people couldn't pay their bills and they would be understandably upset.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • image melpatbat:
    ToysRUs, open until midnight, put *** away for 3 hours.nbsp; It was at Christmas

I did that too. My boss was awesome though and we always had a blast after hours.
    Bonus Mom to the Bean: June '06
  • I've had many: 

Telemarketer - for obvious reasons

Hostess - because people are azzholes

Portrait photographer - because moms be cray, yo!

Manager of portrait studio - because moms are cray, employees are super needy, and the cheap owner expected me to work a gajillion hours at salary instead of paying hourly employees. And then my paychecks started bouncing. 

Office manager of a yacht management company - because ain't nobody got time for yacht owners and their sense of entitlement. And the company was going under cuz, in the economic crash, yachts sorta took a backseat to other financial responsibilities. And then my paychecks started bouncing.... AGAIN. 

At least being SAHM doesn't make me want to cry (as often) as my paying gigs did.  

SEAHAWKS! And... Macklemore. Seattle's WINNING! 
  • I worked maintenance at a water park. It was my job to clean up trash, clean bathrooms, clean up puke, etc. A family friend got me the job, so I worked the entire summer bc I felt bad quitting. I made $5.55/hr

My worst job was working for the merchandising team at Forever 21. Talk about thankless job! I worked my butt off to organize the shithole of a store, only to come in the next day to have it be torn apart. I had to work every "over night" when we did floor plan updates or completely new floor plans. I was there until 4-5am some nights and expected back in at 8am the next morning. It was awful.  Plus, the district manager was a complete animal. She once told me she pulled off a used dirty bandaid off her foot and purposely stuck it to the floor in the office just to see how long it would take before someone cleaned it. Indifferent What a creep. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • McDonalds. It was my 1st job. Boss was a biotch. The lady who had "Trainer" on her name tag didn't want to train me. It had a bunch of btchy ladies. I lasted the summer and quit. The boss spilt coffee AND orange juice on me in the same day! If it were me now and not the timid 16 yr old, I would have taken some type of action. Oh well.. all those miserable biotches are still there.

Also, working in bookkeeping at a bank. It started out really nice. But then everyones true colors came out. It sucked. All it was, was backstabbing. And the job itself got SO boring.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I worked at a Hollywood Video for a little while before I started my career.  I was a bad enough food service employee; I had a really hard time with the up-selling there.  I liked the free rentals, but the overall vibe was terrible.