February 2013 Moms

Pet peeves

We've all got em right?

I know with us wrangling kids, using phones to bump, etc. we all have mistakes when we write, but I struggle with ones where the writer obviously doesn't know the correct word.

The number 1 biggest for me is using seen when it should be saw.

Example: I seen it. It's I have seen, or I saw.

Other ones, the overuse of blank and I. Often blank and me is correct.

Example: you wouldn't say look at this picture of I, so you shouldn't say look at this picture of Scott and I, it's Scott and me.

To vs too....
View Full Size Image
Lilypie - (kxiS)
Lilypie - (BG2d)

Re: Pet peeves

• MBush4MBush4
    500 Comments 100 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I HATE the word veggies. It seriously makes me want to punch someone in the throat (I know, hidden weirdo rage). I also hate when people try to use French words or phrases and butcher them in spelling and/or pronunciation.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Mine is definitely then/than. As in if I see that error more than three times a day then I might punch my computer.
    BFP#1: 12.27.11, EDD 9.6.12, M/C 1/6/12 at 5w
    BFP#2: 5.26.12, EDD 2.7.13, DS Born 2.1.13
  • image Sterling13:
    Mine is definitely then/than. As in if I see that error more than three times a day then I might punch my computer.

This made me look up the rules. I can't guarantee I use them correctly all the time. I will have to work on this.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image MBush4:
    I HATE the word veggies. It seriously makes me want to punch someone in the throat Inbsp;know, hiddennbsp;weirdo rage.nbsp;I also hate when people try to use French words or phrases and butcher them in spelling and/or pronunciation.

Hahaha, how do you feel about veg, as in, we are having a veg day?
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • This is a random one! When using the French terms for a massage therapist, I hate when people say masseuse when they are talking about a male. If it's male the word is masseur, masseuse is female!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• image Drea926:
    This is a random one! When using the French terms for a massage therapist, I hate when people say masseuse when they are talking about a male. If it's male the word is masseur, masseuse is female!

I thought you'd have a good one or two.
    You're an English teacher right?
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image Teacher Clark:
    image Sterling13:
    Mine is definitely then/than. As in if I see that error more than three times a day then I might punch my computer.
    This made me look up the rules. I can't guarantee I use them correctly all the time. I will have to work on this.

This is a fun way to remember! Wink

• My pet peeve is people who make me feel self conscious about my grammar and spelling when I am furiously typing during my daughter's 30 min nap.  I'm totally kidding :)
  • image Teacher Clark:
    image Drea926:
    This is a random one! When using the French terms for a massage therapist, I hate when people say masseuse when they are talking about a male. If it's male the word is masseur, masseuse is female!
    I thought you'd have a good one or two. You're an English teacher right?

Haha thanks! Yes, I am! :-) 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• image carriesu2003:
    My pet peeve is people who make me feel self conscious about my grammar and spelling when I am furiously typing during my daughter's 30 min nap.  I'm totally kidding :)

Here, you can save this for later. Wink I admit to being a total grammar nazi, but I'm sure I make a ton of mistakes thanks to being on mobile more often than not.

• image carriesu2003:
    My pet peeve is people who make me feel self conscious about my grammar and spelling when I am furiously typing during my daughter's 30 min nap.nbsp; I'm totally kidding :

Hahaha, hey, we all make mistakes.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image Sterling13:

image Teacher Clark:
    image Sterling13:

This is a fun way to remember! Wink

Awesome!

Or
    Let's eat grandma vs
    Let's eat, grandma
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image Sterling13:

image carriesu2003:
    My pet peeve is people who make me feel self conscious about my grammar and spelling when I am furiously typing during my daughter's 30 min nap.  I'm totally kidding :)

Here, you can save this for later. Wink I admit to being a total grammar nazi, but I'm sure I make a ton of mistakes thanks to being on mobile more often than not.

Love this meme. You Should post it on the tri boards. The grammar police over there are just as annoying as the people with bad grammar.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• image Teacher Clark:
    We've all got em right?

To vs too....

Please school me in the correct way to/too use these. I've looked it up and I can never remember the difference or how to/too use them.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• SagenSagen
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper

I am a sad mess when it comes to grammar, and spelling. With that said, even I can't stand rediculous (misspelled like that). 

ETA: Just to answer PP, here is an example.

I am going to the store.

I am too tired after getting up with the baby.

Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!image
  • My biggest pet peeve is slow drivers. If you're going under the speed limit, pull over and let people pass. If the speed limit is 40 and you're going 40 and you have a line of cars behind you and no passing lane, pull over and let people pass.
    Heck, I don't care how fast you're driving, just don't be in front of me.
    If I leave 5 minutes late from work I always get behind this loser that drives 30 in a no speed zone and he will not pull over for anything. I start ripping my hair out when I see his truck in the distance. I don't know how you big city ladies can do it. I'd've had a stroke by now.
    But on the flip side, don't tail me either. That's my number two pet peeve. Tailing me when there's 5 cars in front of me isn't going to make me go any faster. And it's dangerous.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• It also drives me nuts when people misuse aprostrophes. It's especially bad when my principal does it in school-wide emails (I teach 4th grade)!

Also, mixing up your/you're, their/there/they're, to/too, its/it's, etc.

Don't know why it bothers me so much, but glad to know I'm not alone!

• image knickerbockers:
    My biggest pet peeve is slow drivers. If you're going under the speed limit, pull over and let people pass. If the speed limit is 40 and you're going 40 and you have a line of cars behind you and no passing lane, pull over and let people pass.
    Heck, I don't care how fast you're driving, just don't be in front of me.
    If I leave 5 minutes late from work I always get behind this loser that drives 30 in a no speed zone and he will not pull over for anything. I start ripping my hair out when I see his truck in the distance. I don't know how you big city ladies can do it. I'd've had a stroke by now.
    But on the flip side, don't tail me either. That's my number two pet peeve. Tailing me when there's 5 cars in front of me isn't going to make me go any faster. And it's dangerous.

Yes, yes, yes!!! We have 4 and 5 lanes per side here. Why do you have to drive 60 MPH in the fast lane when the flow of traffic is 80!!!! Move over people.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • "alot" used to get on my nerves, but then I stumbled upon this little beauty.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Now I just crack up when I see people use it :P

I'll admit that I definitely leave out proper punctuation on the internet, but misspelling and misusing words irks me. I don't call people out, though, I try to ignore it.
  • Grammatically speaking, I don't like when people say "boughten," which is not a word. As in, "I haven't boughten a nursing bra yet." It's just bought. You haven't BOUGHT one yet.

My other is passive aggressive Facebook statuses. If you have a problem with someone, tell that person to their face, or plug it. My SIL is famous for this. Or if you have some kind of drama going on, don't get mysterious about it in your status, then when people ask about it, tell them that you don't want to get into it. Obviously, you do.

View Full Size Imageimage

• image knickerbockers:
    image Teacher Clark:
    We've all got em right?

To vs too....

Please school me in the correct way to/too use these. I've looked it up and I can never remember the difference or how to/too use them.

Too can either mean excessive or can replace also. To is usually used the rest of the time.

I am going to the post office to buy stamps. I hope there aren't too many people there. Are you coming too?
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image jocgymnast72:
    It also drives me nuts when people misuse aprostrophes. It's especially bad when my principal does it in schoolwide emails I teach 4th grade!Also, mixing up your/you're, their/there/they're, to/too, its/it's, etc. Don't know why it bothers me so much, but glad to know I'm not alone!

Yep, all of those too, but seen/saw is like nails on a chalk board to me and I/me gets me because I think people are trying to be so proper using I when they're often using it incorrectly.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image BNHarris8:
    "alot" used to get on my nerves, but then I stumbled upon this little beauty.http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alotisbetterthanyouateverything.htmlNow I just crack up when I see people use it :PI'll admit that I definitely leave out proper punctuation on the internet, but misspelling and misusing words irks me. I don't call people out, though, I try to ignore it.

This is brilliant. I laughed out loud more than once. Love it!!!
    My pet peeve is the use of hash tags. I seriously hate them. Apparently they have some sort of purpose, but I think that most people use them just because it's the "cool" thing to do right now. I cannot wait until the trend goes away. Please, please let it go away.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14

• image BNHarris8:
    "alot" used to get on my nerves, but then I stumbled upon this little beauty.http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alotisbetterthanyouateverything.htmlNow I just crack up when I see people use it :PI'll admit that I definitely leave out proper punctuation on the internet, but misspelling and misusing words irks me. I don't call people out, though, I try to ignore it.

I love her! Did you see she has a book coming out?
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image Teacher Clark:
    image BNHarris8:
    I love her! Did you see she has a book coming out?

Nah, this is the only thing I've read from her. I will have to go back and read some more stuff from that site. I had assumed a guy came up with this(I guess because of the drawings). Does that make me sexist? lol

And, kleigh, I despise hashtags! I know one girl on Facebook who seriously puts 20 hashtags on each and every single picture, and she has hundreds! All I can think when I see that is "jeeze, calm down!" ..haha
  • If we are picking on grammar issues (on The Bump), for the love of God, there is a difference between someone giving you advice and someone advising you of something. One is a noun and one is a verb!  I've been wanting to get that out for three years now.  It's rather cathartic. :) 

To be clear, title your post, "I need advice."  It has a C in it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image Teacher Clark:
    image knickerbockers:
    image Teacher Clark:
    We've all got em right? To vs too....
    Too can either mean excessive or can replace also. To is usually used the rest of the time. I am going to the post office to buy stamps. I hope there aren't too many people there. Are you coming too?

I tell my students that too has too many o's, so it means an excessive amount. :)  ETA:  Or if the two o's are walking together, then one o is coming along also (it means also.)  

English teachers! ^^ How do you write letters like my o's up there? I want my sentence to have multiple o, so I put an apostrophe to break it up since os doesn't make a lot of sense.  Does that work?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The constant, misuse of MYSELF drives me batty. Suddenly, everyone is using it incorrectly.

I can't stand when people say/write, "all of the sudden..." It's all of A sudden.

I want to throw tomatoes at anyone who says, "between you and I." It's "between you and me." Prepositions, people!

I am having a very bad day and am not normally this cranky.
    image">

image"">
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Love this thread! My pet peeves (along with all the grammar ones and yes I'm a grammar nazi) are:

- people who don't live at the beach but come there for the weekend and leave trash everywhere (grew up on the beach)

- Drama queens on social media (seriously with your "Why does this stuff always happen to me?!" bullsh*t?!)

- pedestrians who walk really slowly across the street even though they can see that you're trying to turn.  

- people who wear socks with sandals and LORD HELP YOU if you pull them up to your knees.

I'm sure there's more..... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MBush4MBush4
    500 Comments 100 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper

image Teacher Clark:
    image MBush4:
    I HATE the word veggies. It seriously makes me want to punch someone in the throat Inbsp;know, hiddennbsp;weirdo rage.nbsp;I also hate when people try to use French words or phrases and butcher them in spelling and/or pronunciation.
    Hahaha, how do you feel about veg, as in, we are having a veg day?

Veg is fine. I'm not too crazy; just a little. I agree with pretty much everything else everyone else has mentioned, but to a lesser degree. Mainly because my husband gets them confused a lot so I've learned patience. Wink

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)