Parenting after a Loss

Trip to Lake Advice

We are officially taking Liv to the lake the first weekend in August.  Sounds fun right?  Except it is to my ILs' lake house.  Ugh.  They drive me crazy but hopefully it will be a beautiful weekend and I can ignore them.  Anyways, I need some advice as I have never taken DD anywhere overnight before.  How many bottles did you bring along (she is EFF)?  I guess I can wash some there but I don't want to spend my entire time washing bottles.  At 4 months, she is too young for sunscreen still right?  They have a big deck that is partially covered so I plan on keeping her in the shade as much as possible but we will probably let her take a little dip in the lake with us.  Also, I don't intend to take her out on their boat but I assume there is no such thing as a life jacket for a 4 month old?  I just have no clue how much to bring with us.  Some days she will wear the same outfit all day and the next she will spit up so much we change her like 3 times.  I am making a mental list of stuff we will need and I have no clue how we will fit it all in the truck!   

***PAL April Siggy Challenge - Words to live by***

BFP #1 2/1/12, mmc 3/1/12 @ 8 weeks, D&C 3/2/12 
LAP/Hysteroscopy 4/26/12 removed uterine septum and stage 1 endo BFP #2 7/23/12, induced at 37w1d for IUGR on 3/17/13, St. Patrick's Day!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

"A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company" - Oscar Wilde 

Re: Trip to Lake Advice

• Hey! We took our girls to the lake for the 4th. We took 10 bottles (we need 8 a day). That gave us enough for a full day and the next morning, then we'd wash them all and start over. At 4m she needs to stay out of all direct sunlight (per our ped) but we were told a little baby sunscreen wouldn't hurt if you were trying to protect her while getting from point A to point B (though I know some peds disagree). We were also told a little dip in the lake is fine as long as they aren't getting dunked or swallowing water. And they do make infant life jackets! Amazon sells them I know. We got them for the girls while they were on the boat.

As for how much clothing to bring, I'm a chronic over packer, and having 2 has made that worse. I brought 2 outfits per kid/per day plus 2 extras. We had access to a washer so I didn't technically need that many but I also did want to HAVE to do laundry if we wanted to be doing something else. I'll send you my packing list if you want. You'll just need to keep in mind it was for two Smile

• I always take the number of bottles I need in one day. I prepare bottles the night before, we use them and rinse them during the day, then wash them all after she's gone to bed. Don't forget the bottle brush! I forgot mine this weekend and it was pain to clean them. My pedi said sunscreen is fine as long as you give her a good bath afterward. We also just stay in the shade as much as possible. I don't know about a life jacket though. And a little side tip: We took our Pack N Play this weekend and she didn't even use it. We swaddled her for bed but put her in the middle of the bed where we planned to sleep while we chatted with the adults in our hotel room. By the time we were ready for bed, we didn't bother moving her. We just slept on either side of her. I don't know if that's something you'd be comfortable with, but DH and I agreed that next time, that thing is staying at home unless we're somewhere for a week.

*** aka: andreahshields ***

*** PAL April Siggy Challenge - Words to Live By ***

BFP#1 3/8/12; diagnosed w/ Anencephaly at 12w6d; D&C 5/9/12
    BFP#2 7/18/12; A/S 10/26/12 It's a Girl! EDD 3/29/13
    Phoebe Jordan Born 3/20/13

imageimage
  • I can't speak to the bottles, but as for clothing I am similar to what Jessiebug said and pack wwwaaayyy too much. I think I brought 2 outfits per day and she never used the second one on any of the days. I also brouht a few extra pairs of pjs that she never used.

About sunscreen, our ped said we could do it at 4 months (arms and legs only, and I even wiped her hands after to make sure there wasn't any on them) but to still avoid direct sunlight, especially between the middle hours of the day.

TTC #1 in Jan 2011, Annovulation suspected due to high glucose levels, started Metformin Sept 2011

BFP #1 01/27/2012, MC @ 5 wks

BFP #2 04/08/2012, EDD 12/19/2012, DD born 12/15/2012  

AF finally returned January 2014!

TTC#2 My Chart

BFP #3 04/15/2014  EDD 12/26/2014

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I took DS1 on a trip to my brother's destination wedding at 6 months. I actually paid for a 3rd bag to check with diapers, water, and formula but since it's your ILs is there anyway you could have amazon or someone send that stuff there? If you could that would make life easier.

I took my G luxe stroller for travel and the UV sunshade worked great and it reclines so he slept a lot that way. We also used hats a lot even though we used sunscreen as well. For bottles I used both the premade ones from manufacturer with disposable nipples while we traveled and I used Playtex drop ins once we got to the destination. I just cleaned the nipples in a steam bag in the hotel's microwave. He went through about 10 bottles a day. We took 12 bottles and one powder can of formula.
    TTC January 2010

BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13

• At that age I would've brought three outfits per day, as DD was a champion spitter upper. Since it's hot, though, you can probably just bring a bunch of onesies! GL!

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Jessiebug81:

Hey! We took our girls to the lake for the 4th. We took 10 bottles (we need 8 a day). That gave us enough for a full day and the next morning, then we'd wash them all and start over. At 4m she needs to stay out of all direct sunlight (per our ped) but we were told a little baby sunscreen wouldn't hurt if you were trying to protect her while getting from point A to point B (though I know some peds disagree). We were also told a little dip in the lake is fine as long as they aren't getting dunked or swallowing water. And they do make infant life jackets! Amazon sells them I know. We got them for the girls while they were on the boat.

As for how much clothing to bring, I'm a chronic over packer, and having 2 has made that worse. I brought 2 outfits per kid/per day plus 2 extras. We had access to a washer so I didn't technically need that many but I also did want to HAVE to do laundry if we wanted to be doing something else. I'll send you my packing list if you want. You'll just need to keep in mind it was for two Smile

I would love a copy of your packing list, thank you so much!  Also, just checked out Amazon, I had no clue they made life jackets so small.  I was all prepared to be the party pooper and tell my ILs that Liv wasn't allowed on the boat.  Do you remember which ones you got the girls?  I am looking at the O'Neill navy and pink one at the moment. 

***PAL April Siggy Challenge - Words to live by***

BFP #1 2/1/12, mmc 3/1/12 @ 8 weeks, D&C 3/2/12 
    LAP/Hysteroscopy 4/26/12 removed uterine septum and stage 1 endo BFP #2 7/23/12, induced at 37w1d for IUGR on 3/17/13, St. Patrick's Day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

"A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company" - Oscar Wilde 

• image Michbot12:
    image Jessiebug81:

Hey! We took our girls to the lake for the 4th. We took 10 bottles (we need 8 a day). That gave us enough for a full day and the next morning, then we'd wash them all and start over. At 4m she needs to stay out of all direct sunlight (per our ped) but we were told a little baby sunscreen wouldn't hurt if you were trying to protect her while getting from point A to point B (though I know some peds disagree). We were also told a little dip in the lake is fine as long as they aren't getting dunked or swallowing water. And they do make infant life jackets! Amazon sells them I know. We got them for the girls while they were on the boat.

I would love a copy of your packing list, thank you so much!  Also, just checked out Amazon, I had no clue they made life jackets so small.  I was all prepared to be the party pooper and tell my ILs that Liv wasn't allowed on the boat.  Do you remember which ones you got the girls?  I am looking at the O'Neill navy and pink one at the moment. 

Sure thing! Send me your email address and I'll send it to you. Just remember I'm an overpacker Smile As for life jackets we got one like this (but different colors).

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Infant-Hydroprene-Jacket-Orange/dp/B004D318EM/ref=sr_1_12?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1373912306&sr=1-12&keywords=infant+life+jacket

I liked it but the whole for the head was a little small and my chunky monkeys were kind of squirmy in them. The one you picked looks like it would be more comfortable. As long as it has the leg straps and the flap behind the head you'll be good.