Parenting

The Lovely Bones

I just read this book last week and I can't shake it from my mind. I find myself thinking about it all the time. It may be the best book I've ever read. So haunting and yet so beautiful. I'm normally not one for a lot of verbose details in books, but somehow the author was able to paint the full scene without me becoming bored at all. I just wanted to absorb every.last.word.

What's the best book you've ever read?

Re: The Lovely Bones

• Seriously? Just one? Not possible. I love so so so many!

Hysterectomy after Stage IV Endometriosis
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Charlotte Rocks!

• SpookoSpooko
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Second Anniversary

image fredalina:
    Seriously? Just one? Not possible. I love so so so many!

Alright, give me top 5 or top 10 or something! I want other phenomenal books to read. This just raised the bar for me and I don't like to waste my time on subpar books when stuff like this is out there.

• I have a lot of favorites, but the one that will be my all-time favorite for ever and always is Centennial by James Michener. 

It's not the best book ever written, but it affected me on a personal level more than any other book I've ever read. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• SpookoSpooko
    image LexiLupin:

Gah, that's been on my to-read list for ages.

My two best, on totally different ends of the spectrum- A Tale of Two Cities; and The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.

Read it. Seriously. It's been on my list since middle school and I'm just getting to it now. FWIW, I think it's definitely a harder read as a parent than if I would have read it pre-kids. But it's still so good.

• Here's a short list of books I can read over and over again and never get tired of.  In no particular order:

Centennial by James Michener

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Evidence of Things Unseen was the last book I read where I was totally blown away. It's soooo good.

Other faves include Pride and Prejudice, The Kite Runner, Gone With the Wind, and Cry the Beloved Country.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• SpookoSpooko
    image CinemaGoddess:

Here's a short list of books I can read over and over again and never get tired of.  In no particular order:

Is the bolded NF? Wasn't he the prosecutor in the cases?

• image Spooko:
    image CinemaGoddess:

Here's a short list of books I can read over and over again and never get tired of.  In no particular order:

Is the bolded NF? Wasn't he the prosecutor in the cases?

Yes. It's considered True Crime, I think.

It's a brilliant book and goes into great detail about the trial and the Manson Family. More recently published editions have updates about the various members of the Family.

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• I really enjoyed Marley and Me.  The writing was fantastic.  It was funny and sad, and just all around a great story.  I'm not even a dog lover and I loved the book.

• I loved The Time Traveler's Wife but it only works if you haven't seen the movie :)  I insisted on reading the book first because I always think the books are better...and it was.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• There are too many... Off the top of my head:

Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk

Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt

Looking for Alaska - John Green

ETA.  Paint it Black - Janet Fitch

Louis Tomlinson Smiley
    Bonus Mom to the Bean: June '06
  • I love all of Gloria Naylor's books, Linden Hills being my favorite.

"Man, be creative. Like the stuff you do. Do nice things. Love respectfully. Laugh a fucking lot. Curse when you feel like it. Life is cool." - Jean Grae

image image
    M (3/9/02) and E (2/28/12)

• SpookoSpooko
    image Onederful Mother:

I read the Lovely Bones years ago when it first came out. I just happened to pick it up off a table and I read it and I felt the exact same way about it. I was really surprised to see that it had such terrible reviews on Goodreads because it will always be one of my absolute favorite books.

I still haven't seen the movie. 

What have you read that's up to the same standard? Your taste is really on for me in music about 90% of the time, so I'm interested in your book taste.

I think I'll never watch the movie. It's too perfect for me, as-is. I couldn't believe that we had that book in our middle school library, though. I don't think I'd like my MSer to read it.

• image Onederful Mother:

I read the Lovely Bones years ago when it first came out. I just happened to pick it up off a table and I read it and I felt the exact same way about it. I was really surprised to see that it had such terrible reviews on Goodreads because it will always be one of my absolute favorite books.

I thought the movie was TERRIBLE.  Not that many movies from books are good, but this one has to be one of the worst.  It did not capture the spirit of the book at all.

photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is a really strange book called, "An Eye for Dark Places," that I read when I was about 14.  I don't think it's the best book I've ever read, but it is hands down the most memorable.  It's very odd and for some reason I just really connected with it. 

It's set in post-apocalyptic England and it just blew my mind at the time.  Other than myself, I have never met a single person who has read it. 

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Dark-Places-Norma-Marder/dp/0316546062  

C is 3 years old

• image Rhomonk:
    image Onederful Mother:

I thought the movie was TERRIBLE.  Not that many movies from books are good, but this one has to be one of the worst.  It did not capture the spirit of the book at all.

I think the movie kind of missed the point of the book.   

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • image Onederful Mother:
    I read the Lovely Bones years ago when it first came out. I just happened to pick it up off a table and I read it and I felt the exact same way about it. I was really surprised to see that it had such terrible reviews on Goodreads because it will always be one of my absolute favorite books.I still haven't seen the movie.nbsp;

Don't watch the movie. The book is sooo much better!

OP, have you read Gone Girl? What about The Memory Keeper's Daughter?

Some of my other favorites:

Fight Club

Running with Scissors

The Help

Pride and Prejudice

My taste is all over the place
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • image Spooko:

I just read this book last week and I can't shake it from my mind. I find myself thinking about it all the time. It may be the best book I've ever read. So haunting and yet so beautiful. I'm normally not one for a lot of verbose details in books, but somehow the author was able to paint the full scene without me becoming bored at all. I just wanted to absorb every.last.word.

What's the best book you've ever read?

The Lovely Bones is the only book that has ever made me cry - and on a train - and I wasn't even pregnant when it happened. 

DD#1 born 9/29/2010; DD#2 born 2/25/2013

• I have so many favourites.

Memoir's of Geisha

Love Medicine

Middlesex

The Stand

Rush Home Road --- this book is incredible. I cried for like an hour after I was finished

Atonement

PLUS EVEN MORE. I want to go home and stare at my bookshelves right now. 

• Has anyone read Anna Karenina? It's a book I thought I'd love, but I gave up on it twice. Should I try it again?

• SpookoSpooko

image MrsCodeMonkey:
    image Onederful Mother:
    I read the Lovely Bones years ago when it first came out. I just happened to pick it up off a table and I read it and I felt the exact same way about it. I was really surprised to see that it had such terrible reviews on Goodreads because it will always be one of my absolute favorite books.I still haven't seen the movie.nbsp;
    Don't watch the movie. The book is sooo much better! OP, have you read Gone Girl? What about The Memory Keeper's Daughter? Some of my other favorites: Fight Club Running with Scissors The Help Pride and Prejudice My taste is all over the place

I haven't read any of those. I did try Fight Club at the suggestion of Ella, but the author's writing style was too strange for me. I couldn't figure out wtf was going on. It was like it started in the middle of the story and I was missing a bunch of info and it was kind of stream of consciousness.

• image MrsSkull1107:
    I have so many favourites. Memoir's of GeishaLove MedicineMiddlesexThe StandRush Home Road this book is incredible. I cried for like an hour after I was finishedAtonementPLUS EVEN MORE. I want to go home and stare at my bookshelves right now.nbsp;

I also loved Memoirs of a Geisha. For a change, the movie was pretty good. Of course nothing compares to the book.

• Lordy. Ok I'll give it a shot but greats I missed will haunt me all day.

The Little Prince
    Jude the Obscure
    The Taming of the Shrew, play
    Catch 22
    The Catcher in the Rye
    Brave New World
    The Count of Monte Cristo
    East of Eden
    The Stranger, by Camus
    No Exit, play
    Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead, play
    The Grapes of Wrath
    To Kill a Movkingbird
    The Hobbit
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Anne of Green Gables
    The Wizard of Oz, book beats movie big time
    Good Omens, American Gods

I have to get back to work, crap.

Hysterectomy after Stage IV Endometriosis
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Charlotte Rocks!

• image Spooko:

image MrsCodeMonkey:
    image Onederful Mother:

Fight Club

Running with Scissors

The Help

Pride and Prejudice

I haven't read any of those. I did try Fight Club at the suggestion of Ella, but the author's writing style was too strange for me. I couldn't figure out wtf was going on. It was like it started in the middle of the story and I was missing a bunch of info and it was kind of stream of consciousness.

If you can deal with it, try to finish. Part of the beauty of that book is trying to piece together what exactly is going on. There are some big twists too. It does take some getting used to his writing style. I have read many other Chuck P books. He grows on you if you let him and if you enjoy dark humor.

• Holyshiit, The Stand.

That one haunts me.  I can't call it one of my favorites because it freaked me out so much.

I may have put it in the freezer ala Joey Tribbiani. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• image MrsCodeMonkey:
    image Spooko:

image MrsCodeMonkey:
    image Onederful Mother:
    Don't watch the movie. The book is sooo much better! OP, have you read Gone Girl? What about The Memory Keeper's Daughter? Some of my other favorites: Fight Club Running with Scissors The Help Pride and Prejudice My taste is all over the place

If you can deal with it, try to finish. Part of the beauty of that book is trying to piece together what exactly is going on. There are some big twists too. It does take some getting used to his writing style. I have read many other Chuck P books. He grows on you if you let him and if you enjoy dark humor.

I agree.  I love his crazy writing style.  Have you read the Invisible Monsters Remix?  

Louis Tomlinson Smiley
    Bonus Mom to the Bean: June '06
  • It's like asking me to pick my favorite child.  If I were a Dugger.  Or God. 

I have too many favorites to list. :) 

• SpookoSpooko
    image grr_aargh:

It's like asking me to pick my favorite child.  If I were a Dugger.  Or God. 

I have too many favorites to list. :) 

Give me some easier reads on your list, Grr. I know you're a literary pro :)

• image andrea99:
    image MrsCodeMonkey:
    image Spooko:

image MrsCodeMonkey:
    image Onederful Mother:

Fight Club

Running with Scissors

The Help

Pride and Prejudice

I agree.  I love his crazy writing style.  Have you read the Invisible Monsters Remix?  

No, I'll have to look it up. Thanks!

• One of the best I've ever read is The Prince of Tides.

Also, Zeitoun and What is the What, both by Dave Eggers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black