July 2012 Moms

Society today

This is prob a question for moms with older kids but I appreciate anyone's insight... I'm finding that sex is everywhere!!! No joke, it's getting a little crazy. I have 2 school aged boys and I feel as if we can't even watch tv together or drive with the radio on without there being a reference to strippers or some other inappropriate thing. Even the Disney channel shows have sensitive topics in them. I know I can't shelter my kids for ever but it still bothers me. Why is this the norm now? Why is everything about big you know what's and everything else. Almost like anything goes now a days... Anyone feel the same?

Re: Society today

• Oh yes, my son is WAY sheltered.  I used to think parents who shelter their kids were crazy, prudish, whatever... But oh man.  My three year old does not need to be asking those questions!  We pretty much watch only PBS and listen only to Christian music... not because I just loooooove Christian music (a lot of it is TERRIBLE) but because it's the only station I can have on without worrying about the message.  And the stuff he hears at the park, don't even get me started!!  Ugh!!

Said a Rink, "I think, I think..."  Said a Rink, "I do!  I love you!"

• I don't have older kids, but I teach first grade, and some of the stuff I hear is ridiculous. The things that get passed down from older sibs is pretty much unavoidable IMO, but honestly, most of the inappropriate things my kids seem to know about they learned from the Disney Channel or Nickelodeon. I keep telling MH then when Robin gets older we're going to have to get rid of the TV!

• I am completely with you. Grayson is my first, and he's only one, but I fully intend to shelter him as long as I deem appropriate. There obviously comes an age where he will be exposed no matter my efforts, but I see no harm in postponing that as long as I have control over exposure.

My parents limited media exposure a lot, so I'll probably try to go about it the same way, but I honestly don't have any advice because I'm not at the stage yet where he notices and asks questions. Just wanted to say I'm right there with ya.

Eta: expose expose expose expose expose! Because there weren't quite enough variations of expose in my original post. I needed 5 more.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Glad to know I'm not the only one! I'm not prudish by any means but it's different when it comes to my kids! We used to watch family fued together, it was a fun family thing, the other night one question was regarding a stripper the other question a hooker...that's crazy! I hate that it's ok now a days to just openly talk about that kind of stuff kwim! Its almost like society idolizes those professions. Also don't get me started on DHs music! He likes rap like lil Wayne, which I have to say the guy is talented but totally inappropriate! We def don't let the kids listen to that!
  • Now that I have a LO I'm constantly aware of things that are too mature for little eyes and ears... 

• We will definitely be blocking Nickelodeon and Disney at our house! Its gone waaaaaaaay downhill since I watched it.
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My kids are teenagers and there's pretty much no getting away from it no matter how much you try. It's easier when they are little to shelter them.
    Even just watching family shows these days sex is the topic or slid in somewhere. Even pg 13 stuff is to bad..imo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker