October 2013 Moms

Baby shower question

How close is everyone's baby shower to their due date? I just found out mine is Sept. 14 and my due date is October 3. A little close in my opinion and I didn't even really want a shower but this is Mom's first grandchild so she's excited. I would feel bad asking her to cancel it. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful or snarky I just feel like I'm going to be so overwhelmed at that point in my pregnancy. Sorry for the ramble.

My Happily Ever After <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby shower question

• Mines the 14th too but I'm due 10.22.

Yeah, yours seems a bit close to DD. that doesn't mean you'll enjoy it any less though!

And don't ask her to cancel. Grand motherhood is a privilege most mothers look forward to. Let her celebrate as well :D
  • Really close IMO. Mine is the first weekend in September and I'm due 10/28
  • I would say thats too close. My DD came 3 weeks early, you never know what can happen. Could u ask for it to be moved up at least a month before your EDD?
    imageimageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

imageimageimage
  • anskipanskip
    250 Love Its 100 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I feel like that's cutting it close. What if you need to return/exchange things or the LO comes early?? I think I would politely ask her to move it up just on the in case. Mine is 8/24 and my EDD is 10/11
  • I agree with everyone, but I feel bratty for asking her to move it up in case it's so late because of anything financial. I feel like its kind of common sense that its pretty close to my due date and anything could happen so I'm assuming there's a reason why it's so late. I am just frustrated because I'm a very organized person and 2 weeks before my due date is just way to close for my comfort and I am going to drive myself insane. I guess my only option is to buy what I need to feel organized and ready for baby in my own time frame and not wait for the shower. DH can always return what I don't need from the shower. I just didn't want to end up with a kazillion of the same size diapers and clothes. I'm probably over thinking this. Sorry again. I have major anxiety issues. Sad face.

My Happily Ever After <3

• September 8th and 15th.. But I'm not due until the end of October, so I feel like the time spacing is good.
    imageimage

• image Jmakhomenka:
    Mines the 14th too but I'm due 10.22.

Yeah, yours seems a bit close to DD. that doesn't mean you'll enjoy it any less though!

And don't ask her to cancel. Grand motherhood is a privilege most mothers look forward to. Let her celebrate as well :D
    that's crazy cuz I'm the exact same as u
  • Mine is going to be September 8th and my EDD is October 1st, so I completely understand where you're coming from! I'm nervous for the timing but it will give my mom enough time to plan and save for it. If the baby comes early, she's early and we will be okay. We'll have some clothes, a crib, diapers and a carseat waiting for her in case that happens. Then instead of a shower it could be a MTB party, which would be equally awesome since our families are so spread apart.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know one of my showers will be September 7th and I'm due 10/28. My sister is getting married at the end of September so my mom wanted to do it after all the wedding stuff but we decided that would be cutting it too close! Glad she moved it up.

Jude Beckham 10/23/2013   Sean & Chels 03/08/2012

• Mine is August 17th. Due 10/11. My sister keeps trying to push it to the weekend after Labor Day, but I told her I need to be organized since this is my first and we live 3 hours from where all of our family and friends live so I don't want to travel that late.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Mine is Sept 28th and I'm due October 22nd ... I think you should be fine. If your really worried just talk with her and ask if you can move it up.
  • Due 10/17

Hometown shower 7/14

A friend wants to throw us one in our current city, but I don't know if and when it is happening. Possibly Aug/early Sept

image  image image
  • You'll be fine. My shower for my first was 11/6. My due date was 12/3. DS came two weeks early. 

Even if you need to complete your registry, or make exchanges/returns, it takes one afternoon in a store, or one evening online. I'm LOLing that people think you need two months to do that. 

Especially since all you absolutely need in the beginning is the car seat, a few side-snap T-shirts, some diapers/wipes, and a safe place for baby to sleep (oh, and formula and bottles if not breastfeeding).  

Food Blog

DS1: BFP: 4/4/2011 | EDD: 12/2/2011 | Born 11/21/2011
    DS2: BFP: 2/23/13 | EDD: 10/26/13 | We said goodbye: 6/2/13 (19w1d) due to pPROM

• ohkayohkay
    250 Love Its 500 Comments Name Dropper
    I am due October 16th and my shower is July 20th. Mine is earlier than most. My mom is moving out of state, and she wanted to do it before their big move.
  • image RedheadBaker:
    You'll be fine. My shower for my first was 11/6. My due date was 12/3. DS came two weeks early.nbsp;Even if you need to complete your registry, or make exchanges/returns, it takes one afternoon in a store, or one evening online. I'm LOLing that people think you need two months to do that.nbsp;Especially since all you absolutely need in the beginning is the car seat, a few sidesnap Tshirts, some diapers/wipes, and a safe place for baby to sleep oh, and formula and bottles if not breastfeeding. nbsp;

You're right. I have the infant seat and bassinet on my registry so I think I'll buy them myself so I'm all set for baby and then I can relax more. I'm just trying to make sure I am prepared that's all.

My Happily Ever After <3

• I think you'll be okay too. I also wouldn't buy anything till you get closer and even then depending on what your doctors say.

If 3 weeks before your dd your measuring 3 weeks early go get your car seat and such but if not I would wait for it! I think you'll be just fine!
    Me; 28 Hubby: 29 - TTC since 5/11 - PCOS Cycle #18-21 Clomid & Trigger & TI = BFN 
    Cycle #22 Gonal-F & Trigger & IUI = BFFP!! EDD 10/4/13 Beta#1 50.5, Beta#2 212, Beta#3 452, First HB 133!!!Logan William born 10/7
  • image MrsSmith414:
    I think you'll be okay too. I also wouldn't buy anything till you get closer and even then depending on what your doctors say.

If 3 weeks before your dd your measuring 3 weeks early go get your car seat and such but if not I would wait for it! I think you'll be just fine!

Thanks so much! I know it seems like I'm overreacting but I just figured, due to the nature of how I am, by 1 month before my dd I would be all ready for baby. It's just the way I roll. I guess it was all a mental plan I had.

My Happily Ever After <3

• I have the same DD as you and mine is Aug 10th. I originally wanted it as late as possible but then had a mini meltdown over registry completion and also washing and getting everything ready in time. When i realized that I would be over 35 weeks with the first shower date, it made me freak out.  BUT I don't plan on setting up the nursery until i am officially off work, so if you are set up nursery wise then having it late in the game will likely not be as stressful as it can sound.

• Not having a shower this time. Last time I was due mid September and my shower with my family was in June. Mainly because of me traveling 3 hours away during the summer traffic.
    My shower with DH's family was when I was 35 or 36 weeks. I had plenty of time to finish my registry and get things from the second shower setup and put away. DS was born 2 weeks later.

imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My NYC shower is Sept 22nd and I'm due Oct 24th.  I'll be 35w3d I think? I'm not worried about him coming early (I have a feeling he won't want to come out) but I'm nervous about getting all the stuff I need before he arrives. I have a shower in MI in 2 weeks but I don't think they will be getting things off my registry. So the NYC shower will be where a bulk of the necessities will be coming from. I plan on using the week right after the shower for returns, etc and then relaxing the last few weeks before this kid decides to show up.  

And yay for you having a shower! Even if it's not til later :) 

Stefon 4Life
    imageimageimage
  • That would be too close IMO.  My DD is Oct. 13th and my shower is Aug. 17th.  I wanted it to be far enough out that I would have time to organize, wash, and set up the things that I got.  We also had to take into account the fact that my mom, DH, and my sister are all teachers so trying to do it late Aug. or into Sept. wouldn't have worked since they're going back.

I wouldn't ask her to cancel it, just maybe nicely bring up your concerns and see if it could be moved up? 

photo 2465-1_zps83b1ff09.jpg
    Married 6/26/10  TTC 1/13  BFP 1/31/13   Wills born 10/9/13
  • With my first my shower was September 11 and I was due October 8. It was fine for me but DS also came four days late. Returning took one trip, and I just hung on to the store credits. You'll be happy you have them after the baby is here and you realize that the bouncy seat or the pacifier or the swaddle blanket etc that you read was the be all and end all for all babies is torture for yours : mobile smiley.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Due oct. 22
    baby shower sept. 7

was going to be sept 22 but I rather have it early so I could get everything don't because you never know.
  • My due date is Oct 14 and we have tenatively agreed on Aug 31, there are a lot of scheduling conflicts in Sept and Aug so it's the only good option, but now my mom is concerned that since it's Labor Day weekend it's not a good one.  So I put it to her as ok your other options would be Aug 17, which is only 4 weeks from now, or Sept 21 which is 3 weeks before due day (which would stress me out, I don't want it so close b/c then it will be last minute trying to figure out what we still really need to get!).  Hopefully she will be ok with sticking to Aug 31!  (my mom and best friend are hosting it) 

• I am due on October 22nd and my shower was on June 29th.  My shower was extremely early but I will be put on hospital bed rest as early as July 28th and she will be born at least 6 weeks early.  I am so thankful that I had plenty of time to write thank you notes, wash and organize everything, and shop for what we still need. 

[IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/23kb6sw.jpg[/
    7/11 miscarriage @ 6 weeks 2 days
    7/12 DS was stillborn @ 32 weeks.
    2/13 BFP! Hoping for my rainbow baby!
  • I'm having two showers. One will be in my hometown and the other will be where I live now. The one where I live now will be on July 27th so my SIL can make it. She is pregnant as well but a few weeks ahead of me. The other one back home will be on September 17th. My EDD is October 13th.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image Drea2892:
    image Jmakhomenka:
    Mines the 14th too but I'm due 10.22.

that's crazy cuz I'm the exact same as u

Don't tell me your team green and a FTM too?!!
  • With my daughter, my shower was scheduled for 3 weeks before my due date. I have birth to her the night before my shower. It sucked a little bit lol
    imageimage
  • I'm not having a shower this time but I did have one with my first 2 pregnancies and they were at about 35 weeks. I ended up having both kids at 37 weeks so it was a good thing they weren't scheduled closer to my due date.
    imageimage

• I had one at 36 weeks last time, no big deal. You'll still enjoy it, unless the baby is already here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Emergency ileostomy 11/28/10, CF dx on 12/3/10 and ileostomy takedown 1/24/11, feeding tube placed 7/1/11...still going strong! Little one lost 5w5d, 5/27/2012. CP 8/26/2012