January 2013 Moms

colpscopy scheduled..T and P

My colposcopy is scheduled for friday july 19th i am praying hoping all goes well! If anyone has any advice on what or how i should prepare for this please let me know. So far ive heard taking a few aleve or otc meds because its a little painful! Any other advice please share! Thanks everyone i greatly appreciate all your thoughts and
prayers. Im still a bit scared nervous
worried too but thanks for sharing your stories with me it has helped
quite a bit. Praying for positive thoughts good results hoping all is well with me on friday.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: colpscopy scheduled..T and P

• I promise you, they're not that bad, the "pain" you'll feel afterwards is gas, they put gas into your bowel so they can see better, be prepared to fart afterwards. lol It's embarrassing, but the more you move, the more you'll fart, the better you'll feel! The worst part is the colon prep the day before, it's salty, it tastes awful, if they give you a choice of flavors, avoid the lime!!! I heard that cherry is the best. But it depends on what prep you do, some don't offer flavors, and don't plan on leaving the house when you do the prep, you'll live in the bathroom. Don't stress too bad, I had one at 16 and it wasn't terrible, just embarrassing for a 16 year old girl. lol Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think that's for a colonoscopy. Pretty sure there's no special prep for a colposcopy. Wouldn't that be awful though?! Mobile smiley

• Loading the player...
  • hahaha oops! I feel silly now! I read that wrong! lol In that case I have no advice, but Good Luck!! lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hi

You can definitely take some Aleve or Advil before, it may help with the crampy feeling. The actual procedure is very quick and will be over before you know it. I know it is easier said than done, but try to relax before and not stress too much. Personally, I made the procedure out to be much worse in my head. If memory serves correct, it kinda felt like a small pinch to me. Fingers crossed everything goes well for you :
  • imageandieb0316:
    hahaha oops! I feel silly now! I read that wrong! lol In that case I have no advice, but Good Luck!! lol

Lol yeah colposcopy thanks alot though your story made me laugh!!! Well least i have advice for a
    colonscopy if i ever do need it lol!!!
  • imagejlynn917:
    Hi

You can definitely take some Aleve or Advil before, it may help with the crampy feeling. The actual procedure is very quick and will be over before you know it. I know it is easier said than done, but try to relax before and
    not stress too much. Personally, I
    made the procedure out to be much
    worse in my head. If memory serves
    correct, it kinda felt like a small pinch
    to me. Fingers crossed everything
    goes well for you :

Thank u so much i cried basically all ystrday after receiving the news that i had to have an colposcopy done after abnormal pap results that scared me alot worried me! I will def try to stop stressing about it im hurting myself by thinking the worse or the results will come out bad from the colposcopy! I
    will def take some aleve or advil before having the procedure on friday.
  • I have had to have 3 of these done total in my life several years back. Once by one doctor, another one by another for a second opinion and then the third a year later after having surgery to remove all of the abnormal/pre-cancerous cells.

They are just uncomfortable--I would say now if you made it through child birth, you will do fine with this by far. Take some advil or motrin beforehand. It feels like a quick sharp pinch and then it's over. Definately not as bad as you anticipate it to be. Bring a panty liner to put on after, sometimes you might have a little bit of light spotting afterwards. But you can return to your regularly scheduled life afterwards, you just might have some cramping after---but that is it.

Good luck and don't stress yourself out about it.

BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had an abnormal pap during this last pregnancy (low squamous cells). I had a colposcopy- almost tickled when they put the solution on- but he didn't want to biopsy when I was pregnant unless it was really bad. It turned out to be very minor and he thought delivery would take care of it. It turns on that it did. I still have to go every 6 months (next visit September), I'm pretty sure the biopsy is the painful part so I can't really say much about that, but I second the PP about childbirth v colposcopy. I'm sure it's similar to a cervical sweep or something. I cried a lot too when I first found out, but then after doing research, I  found that abnormal paps are incredibly common and most likely if you do your paps regularly, if it's something serious, you've caught it in plenty of time.

Kendall, 1/1/13
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks everyone i am just really nervous and scared about having this procedure done on friday i am just praying for good results that its nothing but im so worried well i really appreciate your advice thoughts and prayers thank you all
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"