Stay at Home Moms

Food "nuts" and then the opposite camp...come in.

OK, just came across this on Pinterest. I want to know your first reaction to these lunches. Lunches for a boy, from both his Kindergarten and 1st grade year. The pictures tell you what each thing is if you hover over the box.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mslil65/sets/72157601755804789/

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
There is another kid, she's 10... 

Re: Food "nuts" and then the opposite camp...come in.

• Does he really need juice everyday?  Do kids not drink milk in school anymore or did he buy the milk at school? It seems to be the most random assortment of food. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• OK, other people look! I really want to know what people think!

• I volunteered in DS1's kindergarten classroom during the past year. Looks infinitely better than 90% of their lunches.

I cringe to see things like Doritos and that much juice... but from the kindergarten lunches I've seen, these ones look pretty good. 

Owen (March 2007), Caleb (July 2009), Eliza (July 2011) and August (September 2013)

• To me it looks fine.  I think juice once a day is NBD.  
  • I'm amazed at the amount of sugar in them. Like cookies for snack, separate dessert at lunch, multiple kinds of fruit and juice all in one lunch box.
  • I'm chuckling at the huge close ups of the organic stuff. She sure wants people to know about the organic stuff! My DD is so picky, I just send a sandwich, fruit and yogurt. Then I hope for the best!
    Mom to Big Sister (2008) , and boy/girl twins (2010) Life is busy!
  • My first reaction is this mom seriously needs a life. Not to be mean, I can see taking a pic every once in a while if I went to this much trouble, but every freaking day???

Second reaction, this is a serious AW.

Third reaction, juice every day???

Final reaction, that is a crapload of processed sugar every day.

The end. 

ETA: I am a picky parent, but not one to freak out about things like goldfish, though we do bunnies at home. We do not do juice for the simple reason Amy posted in the earlier thread, she love water why spoil it? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The juice is huge! Not a juice box...but huge a bottle!
  • I need to pack DD's lunches next year. I don't plan to send juice every day, or really ever. We don't normally buy it, not because I'm completely against it but if she drinks water then why mess with it? I plan to send milk. It otherwise seems random but decent.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• image TheGriffs:

My first reaction is this mom seriously needs a life. Not to be mean, I can see taking a pic every once in a while if I went to this much trouble, but every freaking day???

The end. 

Well, when I was making bentos for DD I got a little obsessed with the pictures. 

But yes, your 3rd and 4th reactions were what I was thinking.  

• I think some of them had good parts, but as a whole they were kind of crappy.  Juice AND some sort of treat AND some sort of process fruit or granola thing.  It was just a lot.
    Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • That woman needs a hobby.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image KateMW:
    image TheGriffs:

My first reaction is this mom seriously needs a life. Not to be mean, I can see taking a pic every once in a while if I went to this much trouble, but every freaking day???

The end. 

Well, when I was making bentos for DD I got a little obsessed with the pictures. 

But yes, your 3rd and 4th reactions were what I was thinking.  

I haven't done bentos, I think they're really cute. I just think 2 years of pics is overkill. I think she's using organic without thinking about what's still in it all, i.e. sugar. 

• The picture I'm on right now has...

Caramel rice cakes 

Marshmallows

Animal Crackers

Good and Plenty

Yogurt with granola topping

Strawberries and pineapple

Bottle of juice

plus 1 small part of the lunch box filled with grilled chicken, tomatoes/peppers and two cubes of cheese. 

• image I Heart The 80s:
    I'm chuckling at the huge close ups of the organic stuff. She sure wants people to know about the organic stuff! My DD is so picky, I just send a sandwich, fruit and yogurt. Then I hope for the best!

I was thinking the same. But it doesn't seem like organic is truly important to her when I see the amounts of processed crap and giant bottles of juice.
    FWIW, I do like the Bento box idea. It's fun. This is just overkill though. I've seen cute Bento box lunches, and these weren't cute at all.

big brother 5/30/10  *  cp 4/27/12  *  little sister 2/25/13

• image MrsB51609:
    image I Heart The 80s:
    I'm chuckling at the huge close ups of the organic stuff. She sure wants people to know about the organic stuff! My DD is so picky, I just send a sandwich, fruit and yogurt. Then I hope for the best!

I was thinking the same. But it doesn't seem like organic is truly important to her when I see the amounts of processed crap and giant bottles of juice.
    FWIW, I do like the Bento box idea. It's fun. This is just overkill though. I've seen cute Bento box lunches, and these weren't cute at all.

There is someone on the preschool board that posts pics of lunches, and they are great. Healthy and really creative and cute.
  • image KateMW:

The picture I'm on right now has...

Caramel rice cakes 

Marshmallows

Animal Crackers

Good and Plenty

Yogurt with granola topping

Strawberries and pineapple

Bottle of juice

plus 1 small part of the lunch box filled with grilled chicken, tomatoes/peppers and two cubes of cheese. 

The last part is good and the fruit. I can even get behind one of those treats. I mean, I pack my own DD the graham bunny crackers sometimes. I think there needs to be some kind of whole grain cracker in there or something. She does do crackers pretty often. 

Also, I am fascinated with this now... 

• There's just too much sh!t out of a package in these lunches.

Prudence
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image KateMW:
    The picture I'm on right now has...Caramel rice cakesnbsp;MarshmallowsAnimal CrackersGood and PlentyYogurt with granola toppingStrawberries and pineappleBottle of juiceplus 1 small part of the lunch box filled with grilled chicken, tomatoes/peppers and two cubes of cheese.nbsp;nbsp;

So she probably has a hundred pound seven year old who bounces off the damn ceilings. How can anyone think a little kid needs that damn much sugar?!

big brother 5/30/10  *  cp 4/27/12  *  little sister 2/25/13

• I'll be honest, a lot of it is not what I feed my kid on the reg (or, ever), but I know it's a whole hell of a lot better than what a lot of other kids are eating.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Yea, that's a lot of processed stuff that I wouldn't pack in DD's lunch. But also, when I think back to my lunches as a kid, I often had juice, a yogurt cup, maybe some fruit snacks... pretty much like these lunches. I'm actually surprised at the stuff my mom used to buy. But our meals at home were always super healthy so I think it all sort of balanced out. And I guess I turned out alright - no weight issues, no health issues, good relationship with food. And I don't mean that as a way to argue that these lunches are ok - just matter of fact. I do have quite a sweet tooth though. I'm pretty sure at some point I also got sugar water in the bottle when I was a baby. LOL.

ETA: Holy hell - this is for a kindergartner? He must be bouncing off the walls with all that juice (and other stuff). Or constantly asking teacher to use the potty.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't get passed the juice. My kids take bottled water and I consider myself pretty lax.
    Mom to Emma 9/4/06 and Jackson 11/24/08 M/C Dec 11 and M/C twins feb 2012. BFP Thanksgiving! EDD Aug 4, 2013 M/C at 5 weeks.
  • image discobelle:
    That woman needs a hobby.

I think this is it.

• Some of those lunches seem huge for a kinder kid. Or I am not feeding my kid enough. DDs lunch is usually Greek yogurt, pretzels, and an apple with water. 
    Mom to Emma 9/4/06 and Jackson 11/24/08 M/C Dec 11 and M/C twins feb 2012. BFP Thanksgiving! EDD Aug 4, 2013 M/C at 5 weeks.
  • id012id012
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Second Anniversary
    I love salami and riccotta
  • image Andrewsgal:
    I can't get passed the juice. My kids take bottled water and I consider myself pretty lax.

We send a water bottle for class each day and then she can buy a milk at school. The juice is just crazy to me. 

• Way too much food.
    Too much junk food. I mean who needs marshmallows for lunch.
    Why the diet cookies and diet cereal bars?
    She has too much time on her hands.
    She needs validation from some where she's not getting it.
    And what is with the juice every day!?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image id012:
    I love salami and riccotta

I think it's pepperoni and cream cheese. 

• i am not a food nut, but i think she goes small on the super healthy stuff and does more on the not as healthy stuff. I'd do two of the squares on chicken and one thing of fruit and a yogurt or something else in the other.

Ella the Mermaid 06/13/12 * Wesley the Pirate 09/08/14

• ta78ta78
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its

I have seen a lot worse school lunches. I know a lot of moms on here don't give their kids juice, but at least it's juice. My nephew who is in 1st grade was just telling me all his friends got soda in their lunches.

i like seeing a mom make some sort of effort with their kids lunch. Some of those are definitely better than others though. 

Quinton  06.25.10
    Wren  01.13.11

photo qw_zpsd8c3bb1b.jpg

.blog.