August 2013 Moms
Options

NBR Rit dye

I really have no idea if this is possible so hoping you can help me out. I have a cream colored dress that I'd like to wear to a wedding. I'd rather not wear the color cream so was thinking about dying it. I haven't used Rit dye since middle school to tiedye tshirts so am totally clueless. Would this work? Any special considerations? I do have other dress options too so if this is a terrible idea please say so!

Re: NBR Rit dye

• Options
    I don't see why you couldn't.  If anything I'd take the dress with you to a fabric store (JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, etc) and get their opinion as it will depend on the fabric and style of the dress.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You can use rit, but there are probably more professional dye options. I like rit for sheets or something, but for something I am going to wear i usually use the higher end ones. I agree with going to a craft store and seeing the options! 
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Another thought: you may try the crafty moms board. I've gotten good tips from there before.
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Options
    I've heard that Dylon brand works a bit better than Rit for the at-home fabric dryer.  It's powder based so it's suggested that you do it in an open area with lots of ventilation and avoid breathing any of it in.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• Options
    I like Dylon. They don't have a wide variety of color choices though, but IMO it works much better than RIT. You can get it at Hobby Lobby. 

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • Options
    Perfect thank you! I'm going to be near a HL so will check it out.

• Options
    imageTheusualmischief:
    Totally depends on the fabric. nbsp;Anything natural should take the dye cotton, wool, etc, synthetic tends to resist and cause uneven dying. nbsp;Also, since it is a dress you already have, make sure to wash it before dying, any sort of residue on the fabric can also cause uneven dye job. nbsp;If you know your washer likes to leave traces of detergent you might want to wash by hand or send it through a couple times without soap. nbsp;Also, just because the fabric of the dress is natural doesn't mean the thread is. nbsp;I have dyed several things that had synthetic threads that did not take the dye at all, so you may want to consider a light color so the white threads don't stand out so much if they are indeed synthetic. nbsp;Make sure to follow the instructions as on the box. nbsp;I have dyed lots of stuff, so let me know if you have other questions!

All of this! Also, be safe... There is an Aug 13 thread from a few days back called "crafty moms" where I listed important safety precautions with dyes. If you can have someone else dye it for you, all the better.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It;s really going to depend on the fabric. Check the label and look online for detailed instruction regarding that fabric. I actually dyed the slip for wedding gown 2 years ago using store bought rit dye in my washer. It was my something blue. It turned out great but I had to let it sit longer because it was a poly blend. Also, if you use your washer, make sure you run a cycle with washing machine cleaner on HOT immediately after, maybe even two. That should get rid of the residue.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"