December 2013 Moms

EDD and actual birthdates

Hello! I'm new here and pregnant with our first kid! My EDD is 12/31/13, and my DH and I are hoping baby comes before 2014, but with that due date, who knows! (To be completely honest, we could use the tax credit). Current moms: were you early, on time, or late with your first baby? Just curious...thanks!

Re: EDD and actual birthdates

• So late. I was induced at 41w1d. I didn't have even one real contraction until then. I guess he was comfortable. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have the same EDD! Yay NYE. At first I wanted a December baby for no good reason, I just prefer December over January. But friends brought up a really good point. If your child is born dec then it will be the youngest in the class, born in January the oldest. Being the youngest can put the child behind and be hard on them. So that made me change my mind.

I don't think there's any predictability to it though! Some people are early with their first, late with their second or vice versa!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesarah0632:
    I have the same EDD! Yay NYE. At first I wanted a December baby for no good reason, I just prefer December over January. But friends brought up a really good point. If your child is born dec then it will be the youngest in the class, born in January the oldest. Being the youngest can put the child behind and be hard on them. So that made me change my mind. I don't think there's any predictability to it though! Some people are early with their first, late with their second or vice versa!

Never thought of that! My DH and I are both mid-Dec babies and we were both some of the oldest in our class. Cut off dates must have changed since the 80s!

• Really hoping our little one comes before 12/31 as well...I want a full glass of champagne! I think your best bet might be asking your mother...was she early/late etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagesarah0632:
    If your child is born dec then it will be the youngest in the class, born in January the oldest.

Where we live the cutoff is September so summer babys are either oldest or youngest depending on when their parents chose to send them to school.
  • imageCDalloway:
    Really hoping our little one comes before 12/31 as well...I want a full glass of champagne! I think your best bet might be asking your mother...was she early/late etc.

I'm the eldest in my family and I was born on my due date. I'm sure that's why I hate being late to anything.

• DS came 3.5 weeks early.  Babies have their own schedules for when they want to arrive.  I am wondering if this LO will follow big brother's example or will cook a little longer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Where I went to school you had to be 5 before dec 31. One of my friends was born dec 31 and they almost didn't let him come into my grade.

I don't know about my current area.

This is in Canada just for reference

• I believe the average gestation for a first time mom who is not induced is 41 weeks 1 day. That being said I had my first at 38 weeks and my second at 39 weeks, so it just depends. Having a baby before 38 weeks puts the baby at risk for many health problems, so I would be more concerned about carrying your baby to full term then hoping it comes early for a tax credit. A healthy baby born on January 1st is better than having a premature baby in the NICU born too early. Sorry to be harsh.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imagethetheisens:
    I believe the average gestation for a first time mom who is not induced is 41 weeks 1 day. That being said I had my first at 38 weeks and my second at 39 weeks, so it just depends. Having a baby before 38 weeks puts the baby at risk for many health problems, so I would be more concerned about carrying your baby to full term then hoping it comes early for a tax credit. A healthy baby born on January 1st is better than having a premature baby in the NICU born too early. Sorry to be harsh.

Of course I prefer a healthy baby no matter when s/he is born, I was just curious to see when other moms had their first babies. My husband's family all seem to have theirs a week late, so I was wondering if that's typical for everyone, or just a coincidence in his family. And yes, the tax money would be a nice bonus, but not my first priority by any means. Sorry for the confusion!

• I went into labor naturally and had my son 8 days before my due date.

ETA: I was also born 8 days early.
    Little one is here.
  • My son was due on May 29 and he was born on May 17.  That being said, the babes come when they are ready. Many first time moms go late. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My midwife said 87 percent, ftm go over their edd.
    I was gutted, I had to be enduced 2 weeks later.

But you could be in the other 13 percent
    You'll have to wait and see I guess xx
  • DD1 was 10 days late
    DD2 was born on her due date

Every baby is different and they will come when they are ready. Sorry, there is no way to know when your go into labor.
  • Our first was due on January 10. My water broke on Jan 7 and she was born on Jan 8.
    AnniversaryImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My EDD with DS was November 10th and I had him on November 12th. My EDD this time is December 31st.
  •  Late with both,and I am prepared to go late again.

DS was due 3/13. We induced 3/16 and he was born that day.

DD was due 3/14. She came on her own 3/20. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • MEP923MEP923 member
    My EDD with my son was Sept 21 but he came Sept 23. They were going to induce me that day because he was showing 9 lbs 4 ounces on the U/S but he winded up coming on his own that day.

imageimage

• I was 10 days early with my first.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • due March 12th induced on the 15th had her on the 16th. I was induced so soon due to lower fluid levels
  • lijahlijah member
    My first came on due date and the second came 3 days late.
  • DS was due on June 2nd and I went into labor 8 days before.  I had him the following day so he was exactly one week early.   

• DS was due Dec 16 and came Dec 18.
    This baby is due Dec 18 and in hoping he or she is punctual because it seems like more fun to actually share a bday than be a couple days apart. Also DS was 9lbs 9oz and I wouldn't mind if this one was a bit smaller. :D
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was late.  My EDD based on LMP was July 1, EDD based on first ultrasound was July 4...son was born July 7, so I was between 3-6 days late.  Longest 6 days of my life.  LOL
    -DS #1 due 7/1/11, born 7/7/11
    -m/c Feb 2013 at 4w6d
    -DS #2 due 12/24/13, born 12/11/13
  • imageBlueCards:
    DS was due Dec 16 and came Dec 18.
    This baby is due Dec 18 and in hoping he or she is punctual because it seems like more fun to actually share a bday than be a couple days apart. Also DS was 9lbs 9oz and I wouldn't mind if this one was a bit smaller. :D

Actually as someone who shares a bday, it's not that fun.

• DD1 came 2 days after one due date and 1 day before another. DD2 came 1day after 1 due date and 2 days before another. Both 40 weekers.

• imagemavgirl_73:
    imageBlueCards:

Well, seeing as they are going to be within a few days of each other regardless, there's not much I can do. Thanks for making me feel bad, though!
  • imageBlueCards:
    imagemavgirl_73:
    imageBlueCards:
    DS was due Dec 16 and came Dec 18. This baby is due Dec 18 and in hoping he or she is punctual because it seems like more fun to actually share a bday than be a couple days apart. Also DS was 9lbs 9oz and I wouldn't mind if this one was a bit smaller. :D
    Well, seeing as they are going to be within a few days of each other regardless, there's not much I can do. Thanks for making me feel bad, though!

My mom and aunt were born 5 years apart to the day and my grandmother had a c/s with the younger one...they managed to make it their whole life without exploding. They'll be fine. 

• imageBlueCards:
    imagemavgirl_73:
    imageBlueCards:

I wasn't implying that you can help it. I was merely stating that sharing ones birthday is not rainbows and butterflies. If it happens it does. Yes it's more convenient for parents to have one party but as a child when almost everyone else has their special day you have to share, ya it kinda sucks.

• imagekatyj25:
    imagesarah0632:
    I have the same EDD! Yay NYE. At first I wanted a December baby for no good reason, I just prefer December over January. But friends brought up a really good point. If your child is born dec then it will be the youngest in the class, born in January the oldest. Being the youngest can put the child behind and be hard on them. So that made me change my mind.

I don't think there's any predictability to it though! Some people are early with their first, late with their second or vice versa!

This is not true everywhere. The cut off for our district is September.

This. Our classes run September to August. December/January babies will be right smack in the middle.

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• imagemavgirl_73:
    imageBlueCards:
    imagemavgirl_73:
    imageBlueCards:

I wasn't implying that you can help it. I was merely stating that sharing ones birthday is not rainbows and butterflies. If it happens it does. Yes it's more convenient for parents to have one party but as a child when almost everyone else has their special day you have to share, ya it kinda sucks.

My kids will definitely have their own parties that are separate from each other and from Christmas gatherings as well. We're definitely on the same page there.

And thanks Kate, that makes me feel better! I assume twins do okay too so there is hope after all for my children! :D
  • DS1: Due date December 9, 2010. Went into spontaneous labor at 3 in the morning I was scheduled for my induction - December 22, 2010. Baby born at 11:53am at 41w 6d - 13 days past due.

DS2: Due date July 14, 2012. Went into spontaneous labor the at 5:00 in the morning of  July 18, 2012. Baby was born at 11:57 pm at 40 w 4 d - 4 days overdue.

Currently due: December 10 by fetal ultrasound, but + or - 10 days, so I expect baby will come sometime around December 17.

Hope this helps - I always try to wait as long as possible for spontaneous labor to begin, so I generally am "late". GL!

• Where I live in Canada our cutoff is December 31st. They use to let you decided within a month of the bday but now it's strict. No choice for the parents!
  • imagekatyj25:
    imagesarah0632:
    I have the same EDD! Yay NYE. At first I wanted a December baby for no good reason, I just prefer December over January. But friends brought up a really good point. If your child is born dec then it will be the youngest in the class, born in January the oldest. Being the youngest can put the child behind and be hard on them. So that made me change my mind. I don't think there's any predictability to it though! Some people are early with their first, late with their second or vice versa!

Yup cut off here is September too. My birthday is at the end of July so I was always the youngest of my friends.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD was born naturally on her due date. My water broke at home the day before, went to work all day and checked into the hospital that evening. She came right on time the next day.

I have no idea what state we'll be in when the kiddos start school, but I bet this one will be one of the oldest kids.

• jmb527jmb527 member
    imageColeRose:

imagesarah0632:

School systems have all different cutoff dates: Sept 1st, Dec 1st and Dec 31st are the most common I've seen. Regardless we will be holding ours back so he will be one of the oldest and not the youngest. Even if he is ready academically he may not be there physically or emotionally so we are pretty set with our decision so far unless something crazy happens. 

I' d probably do the same, but in FL the cutoff is Sept 1, so both DD1 and 2 will be the older kids as they will be 5 turning 6 before christmas of their first year in KG.

• My due date was 12/13, but DS came on 12/4. I was induced early due to pre-eclampsia.

• imagem88bloom:

imagekatyj25:
    imagesarah0632:

Yup cut off here is September too. My birthday is at the end of July so I was always the youngest of my friends.  

yep, our cut off is sept 30th, so our kid will in the middle of the pack.

i'm due 12/5 and this is my first, and i have no preference either way when the baby comes. our anniversary is NYE but there's literally no chance of the baby not coming before then, so i'll be good with my champagne (or really, my gin and seltzer lol.) 

my read shelf:
    Ashley 's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejmb527:
    imageColeRose:

imagesarah0632:

School systems have all different cutoff dates: Sept 1st, Dec 1st and Dec 31st are the most common I've seen. Regardless we will be holding ours back so he will be one of the oldest and not the youngest. Even if he is ready academically he may not be there physically or emotionally so we are pretty set with our decision so far unless something crazy happens. 

I' d probably do the same, but in FL the cutoff is Sept 1, so both DD1 and 2 will be the older kids as they will be 5 turning 6 before christmas of their first year in KG.

Most systems are moving to the Sept. cutoff dates, so summer birthdays are the young ones. DD is June 24th and by far one of the youngest in her grade, not just class. Everybody also seems to redshirt their children lately. DD has kids in her class that turned 10 the week she turned 9. It's my pet peeve to say the least, but we will probably do it with this LO, since if you can't beat them, join them.

• I went 2 weeks early with DS. I was due 05/23 and he was born on 05/09. The week before at my 36 week ultrasound I was told that my placenta showed signs of aging and that I will have him soon. Sure enough I did. I'm wondering what will happen this time since I plan to have a scheduled c section (had an emergency one last time). I worry I will go into labor on my own if we wait too long but maybe it will give me a chance to go for a VBAC.

Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"