September 2013 Moms

copper IUD

So I discussed birth control options with my midwife at our last appointment, she seemed to really encourage me to think about the copper IUD, which I had been terrified by because of stories about it migrating, or coming out rather painfully.
I'm not interested in any hormonal bc options because of my history with them, I'm not sure we're done having children yet, and condoms and pull and pray aren't really a good enough option for us, realistically, because they just won't happen.
So I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has any insight, experience, or in the medical field with experience with the complications that arise with them. I'm leaning towards her recommendation because, well, she knows a thing or two about uteruses, uteri?.., lol, anyways, she's in the know, plus she is more naturally minded like I am, so I think our priorities are similar.
What say sept13?
BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: copper IUD

• I had a Mirena IUD, it came out. That's all I got on the subject. ::mobile smiley::
    Goose 2.19.11 MC #1 6/12/11 MC #2 11/5/12 Bubby 10.3.13
  • image Loppy19:
    I had a Mirena IUD, it came out. That's all I got on the subject. ::mobile smiley::

Aahhhh. That terrifies me. Thanks a lot Loppy...
    :::mobile barf face:::
  • image laurelannie:
    image Loppy19:
    I had a Mirena IUD, it came out. That's all I got on the subject. ::mobile smiley::

Aahhhh. That terrifies me. Thanks a lot Loppy...
    :::mobile barf face:::

It wasn't that bad. I knew it had slipped because I was spotting all the time and could feel it. We used back up protection and I had it removed. If DH wasn't getting a vasectomy I would do it again. It was way less of a hassle than I expected, even with having to get it removed.
  • I had Mirena for 4 years with no problems like falling out, accidental pregnancy, perforations, etc. I do have to say though for a good 6 months after getting it I was pretty crampy. I would say I have an average pain tolerance and I was pretty unhappy those first 6 months. After that there wasn't any pain but DH and I couldn't have sex in certain positions because he could...um..feel it and it freaked him out sorry TMI I know! Anyways, I know people that love it but I'm debating on whether or not to get it again.
    BFP #1 12/23/12 EDD 9/3/13 DD #1 8/26/13

Visit The Nest! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Not personal experience, but one of my friends was pregnant at the same time as I was with DD, with an IUD baby. She got pregnant with it in and they had to take it out and it was very stressful because removal can cause all sorts of complications later in the pregnancy and she could have lost the baby. Her baby wanted to stay put and is a happy 3.5 year old now, but ever since that story they've kind of freaked me out.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • image Loppy19:

Had you had babies before that? I had heard that they are more likely to come out with women who had not yet had children. Tiny uterus issue of something like that??? But I haven't known folks who had lost then personally so I was still a little nervous about it! I'd love to try the cooper iud though!
  • We use natural family planning and really like it! All natural and is based on temperature and monitoring mucus. You really understand your body and can just abstain during fertile times when trying to avoid pregnancy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image sallywacket:
    image Loppy19:

Had you had babies before that? I had heard that they are more likely to come out with women who had not yet had children. Tiny uterus issue of something like that??? But I haven't known folks who had lost then personally so I was still a little nervous about it! I'd love to try the cooper iud though!

Yes, I had my daughter before then.
  • image Lga1224:
    We use natural family planning and really like it! All natural and is based on temperature and monitoring mucus. You really understand your body and can just abstain during fertile times when trying to avoid pregnancy.nbsp;

Also not an option for us, as I have pcos and have irregular cycles, wonky cervical mucus and unreliable temperatures.
    I have the book and everything, and I'm bummed it didn't work for us, because that would be my ideal choice.
  • I had the para guard iud for 3 years before ttc... I had not had any previous pregnancies. It was pretty painful on insertion but after that it wasn't too bad. I will definitely tell you that my menstral cramps and bleeding both became heavier after getting it, but I never got pregnant! I'm hoping that it will be better after the baby arrives
  • The only thing I know about is through my best friends experience. She had mirena but had too many side effects. She had it replaced with the copper device I think. She hasn't had any complications that I know of. I'm scared of foreign objects being implanted in my body. I do well on the mini pill. It is very low dose of progestin and no estrogen. The estrogen is usually what causes side effects in people. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I think with any IUD there is a chance with it migrating, pain, etc. I had my IUD put in and taken out while I was on my period. My OB said everything was in a better place to properly access the uterus. For me, the placement of my Mirena was no more painful than havinga PAP done. It was more annoying than anything. So while its not the Copper IUD, its still an IUD in the end.

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• image JocelynB0911:
    I think with any IUD there is a chance with it migrating, pain, etc. I had my IUD put in and taken out while I was on my period. My OB said everything was in a better place to properly access the uterus. For me, the placement of my Mirena was no more painful than havinga PAP done. It was more annoying than anything. So while its not the Copper IUD, its still an IUD in the end.

My midwife didn't mince words about the pain involved in the initial procedure, and since my cervix is always a pain to access, it's far back and angled funny, I know that it'll probably be a very uncomfortable procedure, my paps have always led to tears. But I can handle the initial pain I think, as long as it's pretty side effect free after that.
  • image laurelannie:
    image JocelynB0911:
    I think with any IUD there is a chance with it migrating, pain, etc. I had my IUD put in and taken out while I was on my period. My OB said everything was in a better place to properly access the uterus. For me, the placement of my Mirena was no more painful than havinga PAP done. It was more annoying than anything. So while its not the Copper IUD, its still an IUD in the end.
    My midwife didn't mince words about the pain involved in the initial procedure, and since my cervix is always a pain to access, it's far back and angled funny, I know that it'll probably be a very uncomfortable procedure, my paps have always led to tears. But I can handle the initial pain I think, as long as it's pretty side effect free after that.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a tipped ute that pulls everything back and angles things funny as well. While I have never been led to tears, it makes things uncomfortable. I would ask her if it would be easier if you were on your period. It cant hurt.

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• I had the paragard and it slowly was ejecting itself and was super painful. Not sure if it was relating but I also ended up w very painful ovarian cysts.
  • image Lga1224:
    We use natural family planning and really like it! All natural and is based on temperature and monitoring mucus. You really understand your body and can just abstain during fertile times when trying to avoid pregnancy. 

I'd second this.  Charting gives you a wealth of information.  In addition there is the diaphragm which can be left in few several days at a time letting you have spontaneous intimate moments if you are worried about condoms ruining the mood.

??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • I had the mirena. It came out after a year I think it's because my cervix was so low down and the chords needed to be shorter and I have a strange tilted uterus. I had my daughter 4 months before I had it put it. I was misplaced during intercourse his size I think did affect it. He made it move a lot. when I was playing with my daughter I felt it was weird and went and squatted gave it a light firm tug and out it came I cramped for a few days but no serious injury
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • image smilormarie:

image Lga1224:
    We use natural family planning and really like it! All natural and is based on temperature and monitoring mucus. You really understand your body and can just abstain during fertile times when trying to avoid pregnancy. 

I'd second this.  Charting gives you a wealth of information.  In addition there is the diaphragm which can be left in few several days at a time letting you have spontaneous intimate moments if you are worried about condoms ruining the mood.

Please see my above response to this suggestion.

• bexsdbexsd
    250 Answers 500 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'm considering the copper IUD as well. I have had side effects with hormonal methods and I don't want to have to use condoms. 
  • image Lga1224:

I was actually thinking about this since I was so good on keeping track with my ovulation times. That's why I'm here now. :) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OCTOBER TTGP SIGGY CHALLENGE - FAVORITE VILLAIN

JASON VOORHEES - FRIDAY THE 13TH

Click here to view my uterus  formerly known as jdoud77 

DD1: Sweet 16! Born 7/1998, DD2: Evelyn EDD: 9/5/13, born 39wks 8/29/13, TTC 2014: 7/28/14 IUD removed, 8/2014 Dx: HT-H

• My aunt ended up with an ectopic pregnancy while using one and had to have the IUD pretty much dug out. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm really glad you asked this, I think we are on the same boat with BC. Is it just me or does it seem like the majority of this feedback is negative?
  • image EMLYNNLERETTE:
    I'm really glad you asked this, I think we are on the same boat with BC. Is it just me or does it seem like the majority of this feedback is negative?

Haha, yup.

:/

• I first had the Mirena for about 2 years but even the hormones in that were affecting me so I had it removed. We just used condoms and we had DD.

After DD we decided I should try the Paraguard, since it didn't have any hormones. I was a little nervous because before I was on any birth control I had pretty heavy and painful periods. Mirena was nice that I only spotted or had a short, pain free period. I said I would try it though.

Insertion was a little tough. Even though I had it put in about 10 weeks after DD was born they still had to dilate me to get it in. After it was in my periods did get longer about 5 to 7 days instead of about 3 to 4. I usually just had one heavy day and then it would get lighter and they weren't painful. I was pretty happy with the Paraguard and never had any problems with it.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had the Mirena for 3 years before DS1, and 1.5 years after. I had no major issues with it. Just some occasional spotting and cramping, but my periods stopped so I felt like it was a fair trade. I'm looking into the copper IUD for after this LO, because even though the Mirena has a low dose hormone, I'd rather not have any hormones at all. I am concerned about the increased period cramps and heavier flow though, because I've heard it's common.
    DS-"Sprocket" born 3.27.11 Baby #2- due 9.10.13 BabyFruit Ticker