Cloth Diapering
Options

How to wash BGs?

We just started using extra-small BGs on DD yesterday, and it's time to wash for the first time. I read the tag - it says "wash cold, wash hot, rinse twice, dry medium."

Am I really supposed to run a full cold cycle, a full hot cycle, and two rinse cycles?? That is going to take two hours in the wash alone!

photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: How to wash BGs?

• Options

My wash routine is a cold rinse & spin followed by a heavy duty hot wash plus an extra rinse. This takes just under 2.5 hours in my HE machine. Using my IL's top loader, it takes 1 to 1.5 hours. 

ETA: A cold rinse (vs a full cold wash cycle) should suffice. If not, changing the temperature to warm should do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My wash routine is

1) quick wash no detergent

2) heavy duty hot wash with detergent and a pre-programmed extra rinse (for a total of 2 rinses in the cycle since a wash cycle already has a rinse built-in)

The reason for the first quick wash (some people do just a rinse & spin, but I found that with my machine that wasn't sufficient) is to rinse away the poo/pee to make sure your detergent wash can do its job. The reason for the additional rinse in the detergent wash is to make sure all of the detergent is gone to prevent build up.

So, no you don't have to do 4 separate cycles (wash, wash, rinse, rinse). But normally you do have to do 2 in order to get them clean.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I do warm pre-wash with no soap (heard that was better than cold at removing poo/pee residue). It's a quick cycle with no rinse but agitates the diapers which seems to help get rid of the initial yuck. Then regular wash with hot water, soap, and cold rinse. Then one extra cold rinse. Dry on low/medium depending on how quickly I need diapers lol.

imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone! That seems manageable, and it will probably seem even less wasteful when we are out of newborn diapers and have more than 12 dipes in rotation!
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagejmcgra06:
    Thanks, everyone! That seems manageable, and it will probably seem even less wasteful when we are out of newborn diapers and have more than 12 dipes in rotation!

definitely get some more dipes into the rotation! :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    My wash routine is: Cold rinse Hot wash with detergent Cold rinse Line dry or tumble dry on low (for the inserts. I always hang the shells) Oh and 90% of my stash are BG4.0's

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"