Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

18 mo. Stats?

Hi-  I usually lurk here, but I was wondering if anyone else was in a similar boat.

DD's ped unfortunately passed away in March.Sad.  We saw the new ped on Friday for her 18 month wellness.

Here are her stats-- 24 lbs and 31 inches tall-- so at around the 30th percentile at which she has always hovered.

The one surprising stat was her head circ-- it was only 17.5" which the ped said was at the 5th percentile.  We have not ever had her head measured aside from the day of her birth, I think, so I don't know if she's always just had a small head.

Does this seem odd to you?  Ped wasn't concerned-- she just mentioned her head was on the smaller side.

I am sure I am overthinking this.  Wouldn't be the first time.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Re: 18 mo. Stats?

• Weird that they only measured her head one other time?  My pedi has measured DS' head at every single well check (1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 12 & 15 months) and it goes on that same percentile chart that the heigh/weight go on.

I don't necessarily think it's anything to be alarmed about.  I always find that I somehow get a little flustered during the actual appointment and don't think to ask any questions based on the stats they tell me.  Like, for example, last time DS' head went up several percentiles.  At the time the doctor didn't say anything but afterward I was like... sh!t I wonder if that is normal.  I always call back to follow up with stuff in the days after the appointment.  If you have real concerns, try following up with them again.

DS has his appointment next week, but at a sick visit last week he weighed about 24 lbs.  I have no idea what his height is yet.

Did they ask you any questions about her development (language, motor, etc.)?

***Parenting Siggy Challenge***
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    "I love when people believe in conspiracy theories. It immediately tells me I'm smarter than you"- Daniel Tosh.
  • My pedi has done the same as above. Measured DS's head at every well appt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • All the Pedi's we have seen have measured DD head at each well baby visit.  My DD has a super small head.  I don't remember how many cm it is but she is just now fitting into 12 month hats at 2 years.  We got a 2-4 year I-play hat last month as a gift and it fits me.  Do either you or your husband have a small head?  My H wears mainly youth hats as they fit better so our Pedi is not concerned about head size since both H and I have smaller heads.  Call back if you are really worried.
    T Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nicb13Nicb13
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary 5 Answers

DS is only 16 months but he also has had his head measured at every single appointment and it's literally off the charts because it's so big! If the pedi isn't concerned, I'm not concerned.

I don't know about you but if something bothers me, I call the pedi and ask for clarification. I'm sure they get it all the time from parents :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image

• I wouldn't worry too much about the head measurement, as long as you haven't noticed any abnormalities.

DS gets his measured at every well baby visit, and it's always in the 90-97th percentile. The doctor always makes a comment about how big his head is, but that since it's following the curve it's not an issue. Big heads run on DH's side of the family, so it's a familial trait.

***siggy warning***
    Miscarriages: 5/08, 3/09, 11/09

DS 2y
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Our 18mo appointment is Friday, so I don't know for sure where she is, but they have measured DD's head at every appointment and it's been in the 50th%, while her height/weight has been around 12th%.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • DS at 18 months was 24 lbs, 36".  I am assuming DD will be about 22 lbs, around 35".  She was 19 lbs 12 oz, 33" at 15 months.
    Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • At 18 months my son's head was 19".  Which I think is still on the small side.  But my whole family has "peanut heads."  I can wear children's hats.
    June '15 Dec Siggy Challenge.  Awkward Family Holiday Pics

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards