September 2012 Moms

s/o almond milk

I've been wondering this as we head towards our 11-month birthday over here, and getting ready to transition to milk. Can we give C almond instead of cow milk? Or soy instead of cow?

I really hate cow milk.

Re: s/o almond milk

• We did a mixture because Tess had digestive problems adjusting to that much dairy. But my pedi said we needed the full fat for brain development still, plus Tess was a tiny baby so he wanted us to work on putting weight on her.

HL meme 23

Tessa: 10.28.10                             Nora: 8.30.12

• image LoisLayn23:

We did a mixture because Tess had digestive problems adjusting to that much dairy. But my pedi said we needed the full fat for brain development still, plus Tess was a tiny baby so he wanted us to work on putting weight on her.

C isn't tiny, he's 75% all around. Is there another way we could get him the fat?

I trust your nutritional stuffs. 

Obviously, I will ask my pedi too

• kbbggkbbgg
    250 Answers 500 Comments 250 Love Its Third Anniversary
    From what I know the reason for whole cows milk is the fat content. Super important for the babes brains and growth.
    I'm sure there's other ways of making sure they get that fat but I haven't looked into it. Despite my distaste for cows milk.

Mom to boy H - born September, 2012 and girl Z - born 2005. Wife to Gorgeous George. Slave to the man.

• image auroraloo:
    image LoisLayn23:

We did a mixture because Tess had digestive problems adjusting to that much dairy. But my pedi said we needed the full fat for brain development still, plus Tess was a tiny baby so he wanted us to work on putting weight on her.

C isn't tiny, he's 75% all around. Is there another way we could get him the fat?

I trust your nutritional stuffs. 

Obviously, I will ask my pedi too

Recent literature says that 2% may be adequate, but they still need ~16-20oz per day of it. It's hard to get that much fat every day in their diet, which is why the milk is recommended. It's an easy way to make sure they get all the fat they need.

HL meme 23

• hmp1hmp1
    10000 Comments Eighth Anniversary 250 Answers 500 Love Its

I am assuming my pedi feels the same way about soy milk as he does soy formula. He avoids it for boys unless there is an allergy that leaves soy as your best option.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• image hmp&mrj:

I am assuming my pedi feels the same way about soy milk as he does soy formula. He avoids it for boys unless there is an allergy that leaves soy as your best option.

Why for boys?
  • image hmp&mrj:

I don't like it for girls either, TBH. Soy has a higher fat content than rice or almond, but we rotated different milks and mixed them 50/50 with WCM until about 18 months. All that soy makes me nervous.

HL meme 23

• image LoisLayn23:
    image hmp&mrj:

I don't like it for girls either, TBH. Soy has a higher fat content than rice or almond, but we rotated different milks and mixed them 50/50 with WCM until about 18 months. All that soy makes me nervous.

Yes 

Peanut born 9/19/12
    Here we go again!  2u2 - Baby Girl #2 EDD: 7/17/2014

http://photos-e.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-ash/10268850_426683867475380_751946990_n.jpg

• We are also not giving cow's milk so I asked the doc this yesterday actually and she said almond milk is totally fine as long as it is supplemented with a diet that includes a lot of nuts, seeds, avocados, some salmon and high fat Greek Yogurt.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image auroraloo:
    image hmp&mrj:

Why for boys?

This is not a peer reviewed research article and is clearly biased, but it does bring up some good points about it.

http://simplehomemade.net/the-risks-of-eating-soy-foods-3-reasons-to-say-no/

HL meme 23

• I don't see an issue with almond milk as long as you're adding fat in other areas.  Sebastian tried my godson's almond milk a couple months ago and LOVED it.    Rora, I know you're a SAHM now, so this isn't an issue for you, but those of you who send your LOs to daycare considering almond milk...double check with your DCP.  If it's a Nut Free center, you won't be able to send almond milk with them. 
    imageimage

My World is Forever Changed

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

My Blog

• image LoisLayn23:
    image hmp&mrj:

Agreed. A good friend of mine was giving her daughter soy formula and had to stop b/c her body was starting to go through puberty (yes, as an infant) She was begining to develop breast buds from the soy.  Obviously this is an extreme case, but still scary.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The problem with no high fat milk  is that it can be hard to get that much daily fat into a toddler.

HL meme 23

• hmp1hmp1
    10000 Comments Eighth Anniversary 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    image auroraloo:
    image hmp&mrj:

Why for boys?

Probably the same as LL's article, but Estrogen. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I see my kids' allergist on Thurs and will need to ask about substituting for dairy for DS who is allergic. I'll let you know what I find out. I hope the recommendation is not to nurse until he's four!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers