February 2013 Moms

WWY(H)D - early wake up

DS decided to get up at 4 am today. Technically 3:45, if you count the fitful nursing/not nursing, dosing/jerking awake process he goes through every time he decides to get up for the day. I noticed he'd leaked through his diaper (user error; you'd think at 4 months I'd remember to point it down, lol), so I kept it dark, using only my cell phone for light to change him and take off his sleeper. Then I HAD to pee, so I left him on the bed, in the dark, while I did that (still not turning any lights on). I come back and start rocking, bouncing and shushing, which usually does the trick when he's ready to sleep, which I judge mostly by how willing he is to lay his head down. Well, by this time, laying his head down is NOT something he wanted to do, despite the fact that it's pitch black and 4 in the freaking morning. He kept looking all around, craning his neck, and cooing like he is WIDE awake. And I'm having a hot flash and now sweating that will only end once I'm able to stop moving or remove the hot-natured baby from my chest. So, after about 10 minutes, I gave up.

We're "up for the day", and he's working on his morning poop. I'm pretty sure every nap here on out will be ~45 minutes. Oh, well.

I'm just wondering... would you have given up so soon, or would you have kept trying to get LO to sleep?  How does everyone else deal with these obnoxious symptoms of the 4 month wakeful? Do you tough it out, or give up (like me)? 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: WWY(H)D - early wake up

• I learned my lesson with dd, and I give up. If either child doesn't go back to sleep within 15ish minutes, it is pointless to keep trying. Which if I do, dd usually gets grumpy. And I often doze in and out, which just makes me feel miserable.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c Harrison 2/6/12 @ 14weeks
  • I would have gotten up too. 10 minutes is about as long as I'll try at that time of the morning before I give up and admit that it's time to get up for the day. I have found that LO's first or second nap is pretty long (for her) after that early wake up though.

• We are on night 4 of the 4 am wake ups. I tried to get him back to sleep a couple times but he is just up. It's awful. I thought we already went through the 4 month wakeful. This kid sleeps like crap. I feel like a decent nights sleep is light years away.

I like cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Glad to know I'm not alone, but all my empathy goes to those who have gone or are going through the same. It. Is. Crazy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • That stinks I'm sorry, my dd is like that from 123, I refuse to get her up at that hour so I keep shushing her and putting paci back in, she then goes back to bed til 8, unfortunately my 2.5 year old is up at 4:45, not leaving ANY sleep for mommy.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• This has happened a couple of times...I don't know why 4 am seems to go along with the 4 month wakeful! I'm usually so exhausted after trying to nurse then walk around rocking her, I end up putting her in her swing. I lay down in front of it and half fall asleep while she hangs out. At least she doesn't get upset about being in it, and after an hour or two she usually falls back asleep for a little while.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards