December 2011 Moms

Getting rid of pacifier?

DS is very oral.  Everything goes into his mouth, toys, hands, clothes, shoes, etc. He also bites and has been going through this "phase" for a while.  We've tried everything (No, redirect, leaving him, etc.) and I'm starting to think he's just very oral and we just have to wait for it to pass.  Anyway, he loves his paci and currently only gets it while sleeping and in the car. He's always loved his paci and was successfully BF for the first year and late to get his teeth so we haven't worried about it so far.  However, he now asks for his paci when he wants to bite something or go to sleep.  So, how do we go about taking it away when he's so attached?  He still doesn't STTN 100% and I really don't want to regress on that front.  But, we'd REALLY like to get rid of it before he's 2.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Getting rid of pacifier?

• E is also very oral, everything goes in his mouth, even when he is not working on a new tooth.  He also only gets pacifiers in the car and at bed (and he had more access to it while we were traveling), but he actually runs to the gate to go upstairs when we say time for bed.  I think part of it is because he loves his pacifiers and knows he gets them in the crib.  I am in no rush to get rid of them, but I also think they should be gone by two.  Our tentative plan is to just go cold turkey after our beach vacation early next month, so hopefully we'll be completely weaned from it by 20 months. I don't know if there is a good way to do these things, other than cold turkey.  I figure we might have a few naps/bedtimes with some tears, but hopefully he will use one of the other, no paci, things in his crib for comfort.
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD is also very oral.  She puts everything in her mouth.  We give the paci in her crib and in the car only.  But she loves the darn thing.  I think the only way we are going to be able to get rid of it is cold turkey.  That is the plan after we get back from vacation at the end of the month.  Right now she is a great sleeper and I do worry that taking it away will disturb that, but she can't have it forever and I think the longer she uses it the more attached she'll become.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image image
  • I haven't posted in a long while and am now just coming back to the boards now that #2 is on the way. But this is so timely, I am very nervous about dropping her soother. She only gets it in bed, but when she is tired she will run to her crib and say sleep and soo-soo (soother), so it is an important part of her routine. I am thinking cold turkey, too, so would love to hear what works! Has anyone heard anything about dropping it from naps or bedtime or both and if there are any easier transitions, or is just expect a couple days of screaming before they realize this is how it works?

My SIL bought her son stuffed Bert and Ernie, they told him that his soother was gone, so he has new friends instead. Apparently for the first week he threw them on the floor because they took away his paci, but then was good with them. I may try this, at least there is something to tell her instead of it is gone. Are others planning on throwing out the pacis so there isn't the temptation to give them back after the child is freaking?

Sep14 February Siggy Challenge: Favorite Romantic Movie - A Knight's Tale

Happily welcomed healthy baby girl December 2011.

Excited to welcome a new addition September 2014!

BabyFruit Ticker

• DS also loves his paci, though we've got it down to only nap time and bed time.  I also want to get rid of it by the time he's 2, but I'm probably going to wait until a month or so after he's stared day care. He starts DC for the first time on August 20, and I just don't want to start him there with no transition object. We won't bring him in with it, we'll just hide it in his bag and let the teacher know it's there so she can bring it out or not.

We're going to try and do cold turkey + a new stuffed toy or blanket as a replacement. I'm hoping after a few days he'll just move on.

\image  image

• image MaggieMoo:
    I haven't posted in a long while and am now just coming back to the boards now that 2 is on the way. But this is so timely, I am very nervous about dropping her soother. She only gets it in bed, but when she is tired she will run to her crib and say sleep and soosoo soother, so it is an important part of her routine. I am thinking cold turkey, too, so would love to hear what works! Has anyone heard anything about dropping it from naps or bedtime or both and if there are any easier transitions, or is just expect a couple days of screaming before they realize this is how it works? My SIL bought her son stuffed Bert and Ernie, they told him that his soother was gone, so he has new friends instead. Apparently for the first week he threw them on the floor because they took away his paci, but then was good with them. I may try this, at least there is something to tell her instead of it is gone. Are others planning on throwing out the pacis so there isn't the temptation to give them back after the child is freaking?

Just FYI my first child never took a paci but now that she sees little brother with one she wants it. If I accidently leave one within reach she will chew on it until I am pry it from her and usually ends in tears.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    TTC#2 - Shocked to get a BFP first postpartum cycle  
    Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo

• motangmotang
    Ninth Anniversary 250 Answers 1000 Comments 100 Love Its
    When we took away my LO's pacifier, we went cold turkey.  It was a miserable 24 hours, but after that, she didn't look for it and moved on like she never had it.  Good luck... it might be a rough few days while he adjusts. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the warning! I actually never thought about that!

Sep14 February Siggy Challenge: Favorite Romantic Movie - A Knight's Tale

Happily welcomed healthy baby girl December 2011.

Excited to welcome a new addition September 2014!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Our pedi recommended the technique where you snip the tip of it so it doesn't "work" and then often the child won't want it. Not sure I buy it, but we plan to try that in the next month or two.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers