February 2013 Moms

Sitting up / Vent

I got my lil guy to sit up unassisted yesterday for the first time. He will sit up for about half a minute, or until he gets excited and then he falls over. 

His pediatrician made me feel like he was behind at his 4 month checkup because he couldn't sit up. I didn't think he was behind, but it made me feel bad nonetheless. She also didn't talk to me about starting cereal which the nurse said she would, even though I'm holding off until 6 months. She is so hard to talk to because you practically have to chase her out of the room to ask her something. So I think I am going to switch. 

I don't know where the vent is going, but I just had to get it off my chest. I haven't had much adult time since LO was born. So I have to talk to someone.  : P 

Johna and Justin Married since 2011
                 Baby Jasper born 2.23.13 8lbs 15 oz. 

Re: Sitting up / Vent

• I don't think most babies can sit up at 4 months.  From what I've read it sounds like 5 1/2 or 6 months is average.  DD will be 5 months next week a d she can't sit up at all.  I put her in a tripod position last week a d she screamed bloody murder.  I was convinced I'd broken her spine.
  • imagemarionravenwood:
    I don't think most babies can sit up at 4 months.  From what I've read it sounds like 5 1/2 or 6 months is average.  DD will be 5 months next week a d she can't sit up at all.  I put her in a tripod position last week a d she screamed bloody murder.  I was convinced I'd broken her spine.

Haha! My guy is almost 5 months and can't even sit with support yet (like on the couch or with pillows behind). He ends up slumping over. I've heard sitting unassisted usually happens within a wide range of 4 to 8 months, with 6 being average. My DS is BIG, about 19 lbs and 28 inches, so it'll probably be a while.

I like cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • jd614jd614 member
    Agree here. I'd say 6 mos is closer to the norm but everyone's different!!
  • 4months ?!?!?!?! What? Your doctor is crazy

I say if a baby can sit up unassisted at 4 months he is very advanced. I think the more common timeframe is 5.5-7 months. Dont worry he will get there :)

Me 33, DH 33, Charlotte 5, Ethan 3
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! I really didn't think he was behind, she just definitely made me feel horrible. I'm definitely switching pediatricians, it just makes me angrier the more I think about it.
                     Johna and Justin Married since 2011
                     Baby Jasper born 2.23.13 8lbs 15 oz. 
  • imageJohnaDouglas:
    Thanks everyone! I really didn't think he was behind, she just definitely made me feel horrible. I'm definitely switching pediatricians, it just makes me angrier the more I think about it.

Good call! Some pediatricians must use different charts or something. My previous pedi expected DS to be socially smiling regularly at like, a month. Silly, if you ask me. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRunaway22:

imageJohnaDouglas:
    Thanks everyone! I really didn't think he was behind, she just definitely made me feel horrible. I'm definitely switching pediatricians, it just makes me angrier the more I think about it.

Good call! Some pediatricians must use different charts or something. My previous pedi expected DS to be socially smiling regularly at like, a month. Silly, if you ask me. 

You know, with these pedis it makes me wonder - do all their other patients' moms lie to them? "Oh yes, doctor, my 3-week old smiles whenever I look at him!" Or do they just not realize that every single one of their patients is "delayed" at being social /  sitting up / whatever??

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"