Working Moms

Toddler plates and bowls

Can anyone recommend a place to get kids plates and bowls? DS loves his brightly colored plastic bowls from Target and wants me to serve everything in them. But I hate to use them for hot food and they are getting a little grubby from the dishwasher. He doesn't throw his plates anymore so I guess ceramic would be fine. Any suggestions for something that is microwave and dishwasher safe, non BPA, and fun for a toddler? I'm not even sure what I have in mind but hope someone else has something fun!
DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13

Re: Toddler plates and bowls

• I am not sure about "fun", but my stepmother gave us some corningware plates and bowls a few years ago and I swear those things are indestructible.  They must be 10+ years old now and they still look brand new.  I definitely prefer them to plastic.  They have many patterns so maybe you could find something cute for a kid. 

ETA: I guess they are actually called Corelle, not corningware.  But in doing a google search I got this site which may have some good info for you too.

http://eco18.com/childrens-dinnerware-thats-safe/

• We use the heavy duty outdoor plates that you would find in the outdoor party area of Target.  We used to have them as our camping plates but switched to normal plates with our new camper.  I don't put them in the microwave but have no issues with the dishwasher.  If you want true toddler plates try Skip Hop they have some really cool dishes for little kids.  My DD just hates the segments so they don't work for us but are really nice. 
    T Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ikea. If they don't have one near you , you can get on amazon.
  • srgwsrgw
    Third Anniversary
    image *sparky*:

I am not sure about "fun", but my stepmother gave us some corningware plates and bowls a few years ago and I swear those things are indestructible.  They must be 10+ years old now and they still look brand new.  I definitely prefer them to plastic.  They have many patterns so maybe you could find something cute for a kid. 

ETA: I guess they are actually called Corelle, not corningware.  But in doing a google search I got this site which may have some good info for you too.

http://eco18.com/childrens-dinnerware-thats-safe/

I grew up using this brand of dishes and registered for my own when I got engaged/married. I love them. They are practically indestructible. My parents have had the same set for as long as I can remember.  

• image groovygrl:
    Ikea. If they don't have one near you , you can get on amazon.

Every family we know has the Ikea set.  They're cheap and BPA free and they've held up well. :)

• I heat and serve on seperate plates (PITA but worth it IMO).  We use the IKEA ones some of the time, some Target bowls (I buy bowls that are meant for dips, not soups and these have for some reason held up better) and some paper plates.  DS still throws though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker