Baby Names

Boy name- too trendy?

My husband is a literary junkie. We still haven't decided on a name 100% yet, but he threw Holden out there because of Catcher in the Rye.

I was looking at name lists, etc.. and it's definitely on a lot of them, but it's not in the top of the top.

Does it sound too trendy? It's actually an older name but I feel like it kind of fits with the "den" trend going on right now.

If this helps at all- we are thinking Holden Thomas or Holden Benjamin.

Thoughts are appreciated. ;)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Boy name- too trendy?

• It's not a bad name, and I don't think it's trendy, but people will definitely know it's a CITR reference (well, people who read, anyway.)
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

May '14 April Siggy Challenge: Things you can't wait to indulge in after pregnancy
  • Even though I shy away from the "den"/"aden" trend, I do really like this one. It's not exactly part of the "aden" trend... but it does have that same feel and sound and I do think it gets lumped in with that. That just doesn't bother me, though, because I like it so much (DH didn't).

I've heard people say that the Holden Caulfield reference is a bad one, but it doesn't bother me.

• It's trendy in the fact that it is a random last name for a first name. It's personally nms but I don't see it being incredibly popular and I wouldn't side eye the choice. 

• Not trendy-- and I LOVE it.

Sadly-- my last name sort of sounds like the word "somebody" so together the two names sound like you are saying Holding Somebody.  Not cute.

Married 11/23/07 BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

• image Helenahhandbasket:

Not trendy-- and I LOVE it.

Sadly-- my last name sort of sounds like the word "somebody" so together the two names sound like you are saying Holding Somebody.  Not cute.

ha! Thanks for the insight, gals. ;)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Sorry, I don't like it and I do think it is becoming more popular.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love the name Holden. 

Ive only known one little boy with this name and he was a doll.

unfortunately 4 yo SS is Haydon...way to matchy for us to use. Bummer 

D13 March siggy challenge: Favorite tv mom
    Lynette Scavo 
  • I do like Holden Thomas 

TTC since March 2012
  • Estwd2Estwd2
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    image brooksidebride:

I've heard people say that the Holden Caulfield reference is a bad one, but it doesn't bother me.

Yeah, I'm one of these people. Holden Caulfield was a major d-bag IMO, so I just don't get naming a child after him. The name itself is perfectly fine. It's just honoring the character that I have a hard time understanding. 

• I like it. I don't think it's trendy. I think the trend is more -aden than -den
    Our little Irish rose came to us on March 5, 2010
    Don't drink the water.
    Disclaimer: I am not an MD. Please don't PM me with pregnancy-related questions. Ask your doctor.
  • I love it and I don't think it's trendy.
  • I like the name Holden and do not think its trendy or very popular at the moment. I like Holden Thomas. I do automatically think CITR though.
  • I love Holden Benjamin. Holden is on our list.

J (08/04/07) F (10/28/09) H (07/18/12) #4 (01/02/14)
  • i love Holden but my H vetoed it :( but it's great!
  • Holden gives off the vibe that the parents want to be appear literary, but couldn't think of a book beyond "Catcher in the Rye."  I don't want to have that feeling about it, but I do.  It doesn't come across as learned, it's "I'm trying so hard to show how learned I am but I only read this book in high school."  Does that make sense?  I'm sorry!

EDIT: I also agree with wondering why you'd want to honor Holden from that book.  If your husband does love books, he must have a character in mind far more worthy.

~ May 2011: Married ~ December 2013: NTNP ~ March 2014: Chemical Pregnancy ~
    image   image

I love you. Maybe I'm an idiot for it, but I always have. Everything good that I try and do I do it because of you.  I try and get away but I just keep coming back. And that's because I love you.

• I like it! Not sure what nn goes with it though (not that you need a set nn... none of my kids have one, all their nn's have nothing to do with their actual names.)

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• I really like it. I like Holden Benjamin.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • IdaniIdani
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers

image TysMomPlusOne:
    It's trendy in the fact that it is a random last name for a first name. It's personally nms but I don't see it being incredibly popular and I wouldn't side eye the choice. 

Agreed

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Love the name Holden! DH and I were contemplating it for a little, but it doesn't really flow with his last name (I kept my maiden name). I definitely don't think it's too trendy, but it does have a vintage feel, which i think is great. 

December Siggy Challenge: Love Actually

Married DH: April 21 2012 // Expecting our first: Jan 20 2014
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I like it, especially with those middle name choices.

Waiting on your BFP is like Charlie checking for his Golden Ticket

(Kudos to HisGirlFriday929 for finding this gif for me)

VOTE on my Name List

• I really like it. I also think it sounds great with both your middle name options! It was on my list but sounds awful with my ln. I don't think it sounds too trendy!
  • ZimgerZimger
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 250 Love Its Second Anniversary

I like Holden...I don't really see it as trendy. I see people mention that they like it but probably wouldn't use it for one reason or another. 

I worry that it could set a child up for teasing. So I do like it but probably wouldn't use it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image Joy2611:
    Holden gives off the vibe that the parents want to be appear literary, but couldn't think of a book beyond "Catcher in the Rye."nbsp; I don't want to have that feeling about it, but I do.nbsp; It doesn't come across as learned, it's "I'm trying so hard to show how learned I am but I only read this book in high school."nbsp; Does that make sense?nbsp; I'm sorry!EDIT: I also agree with wondering why you'd want to honor Holden from that book.nbsp; If your husband does love books, he must have a character in mind far more worthy.

I agree with all of this.
  • I do see it as trendy.

And when I mentioned an acquaintance's son named Holden to DH, he couldn't stop making holdin' puns. I don't hate it, but I just don't really get the appeal and I agree that he doesn't seem like the best character to honor.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • image Joy2611:

Holden gives off the vibe that the parents want to be appear literary, but couldn't think of a book beyond "Catcher in the Rye."  I don't want to have that feeling about it, but I do.  It doesn't come across as learned, it's "I'm trying so hard to show how learned I am but I only read this book in high school."  Does that make sense?  I'm sorry!

EDIT: I also agree with wondering why you'd want to honor Holden from that book.  If your husband does love books, he must have a character in mind far more worthy.

Well, I certainly would choose Holden over Heathcliff or Beowulf.  (I mean, if we are talking literary characters). 

I like it though. I know of one and he's the cutest kid ever and really sweet. Obviously nothing like a possible namesake.

• I like it. 

Holden Thomas has a nice ring to it. 

F'14 March Siggy Challenge: Baseball Fails
    a.j. rosin bag fail - baseball fail gifs
    Lilypie - (lv0g)
  • I love literary names, but Holden, much like Atticus, is one of the more obvious ones and, thus, more likely to become popular. If the name holds a special meaning for you, it makes sense to go with it, but if there's another lesser used literary name that would be more unique, I'd consider it too.
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image herecomesthesun:

Well, I certainly would choose Holden over Heathcliff or Beowulf.  (I mean, if we are talking literary characters). 

I'm not sure I understand your point.  There are whole libraries full of books.  It's not like these are the only three literary choices.

~ May 2011: Married ~ December 2013: NTNP ~ March 2014: Chemical Pregnancy ~
    image   image

I love you. Maybe I'm an idiot for it, but I always have. Everything good that I try and do I do it because of you.  I try and get away but I just keep coming back. And that's because I love you.

• image Joy2611:
    image herecomesthesun:

I'm not sure I understand your point.  There are whole libraries full of books.  It's not like these are the only three literary choices.

I meant that you could do a whole lot worse than Holden if you're going to go literary.

• image Estwd2:
    image brooksidebride:

Yeah, I'm one of these people. Holden Caulfield was a major d-bag IMO, so I just don't get naming a child after him. The name itself is perfectly fine. It's just honoring the character that I have a hard time understanding. 

Me too. I love Salinger and think he has many other more admirable characters to name after. He made Holden a lost, selfish, angsty kid for a reason.

Suggestions:
    Teddy
    Lionel
    Waker
    Walt
    Zachary
    Web aka Buddy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Teen Crush: James Van Der Beek in Varsity Blues
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker