February 2013 Moms

STMs to paci babies..

I guess this is sort of a poll. J is most definitely a paci baby. He loves the thing and I don't have any problem with it either. My questions are, when did you baby gain the ability to replace the pacifier themselves at night? Did it ever become an issue where you were going in 100 times a night to replace it? 

It's not an issue right now because he's pretty good at keeping it in his mouth and usually only wines once or twice for it in the MOTN but I'm worried about creating a problem. I know around 6 months things like this are harder to get ride of so if we need to start moving away from the pacifier for sleep I'd like to work on it now. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Our Sweet Boy "LJ"

Re: STMs to paci babies..

• My oldest gave up her binky on her own around 18mo or so, but I didn't give it to her consistently, either - it was more something I just gave her when she was crying the first few months, and something I left in her crib when she started being able to grab and find it on her own - so it wasn't ever the kind of thing where I put it in her mouth every time she went to sleep or woke up crying or anything like that. My second sucked her thumb, and I was stupid enough not to try introducing a binky until she was about six months old - big mistake. She never caught on to the binky, and we ended up with a thumb habit that took five years to break (and even now, at six, I will occasionally still catch her doing it once every few weeks). I started the boys on binkies right away (one of them was sucking his thumb during a whole six different ultrasounds, so I was determined to get them on binkies from day one) - I'm doing the same thing with them that I did with my oldest, and just letting them have control over when they want them. If they don't seem to be self weaning by two, I'll just stop replacing them when they get lost and let them tough it out. 
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• DS1 could replace it himself around 5-6 months.  We "seeded" the bed with them whenever he slept by himself so there was always one close since there were like 10 of them in there! We weaned him down to sleep and car only at a year, then night sleep only around 18 mo.  At 2.5 yrs we took it away with no tears at all.  He was old enough to give it up with acceptance. :)  The pedi and ENT told me it had to go by age 3.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • *Not a STM but I will chime in anyways :)

I wouldn't worry about creating a problem, there are many creative ways to ditch the paci when they are a bit older and can understand. You could tell him the paci needs to go but let him pick out a new toy to replace it. You could pack all the pacis up and tell him "we have to send them 'to the babies' because you're a big boy now".. Or you could just take it away one day and say "no more paci".
    I have heard these all work.
    If it helps him sleep, then I would leave it.

My baby won't take a nap without her Soothie(and I do have to give it back to her a couple times each nap, but I don't care since I'm already awake), but I won't let her have it at night because I was having to wake to replace it several times and it got old fast. Now I just rock her until she's sleepy, then I take the paci from her and lay her down. If she drops it herself after I lay her down then she wakes and gets upset, but if it's not there to begin with then she doesn't seem to care.

I can't wait 'til she can figure out how to put it back by herself, then I will probably let her have it at bedtime too

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • DD1 is definitely a paci kid. She started being able to replace the paci by herself at I'd say around 10ish months?? I don't remember exactly. What I do remember is we had to go into her room 10000 times / night because her paci fell out of her crib and she couldn't reach it. I finally got breathable bumpers and that solved that problem.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• My son is 16 months and is still using his binky for bedtime and naptime. When he was around this age, we bought binky clips and checked on him frequently til we made sure he had the hang of it. They worked great for us in the middle of the night. Our daughter only seems to need them to fall asleep then she spits them out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image BNHarris8:

*Not a STM but I will chime in anyways :)

I wouldn't worry about creating a problem, there are many creative ways to ditch the paci when they are a bit older and can understand. 

My ILs took my niece to build-a-bear and had her make a teddy bear with her last pacifier in it. She was 4 when they finally got her to give up the pacifier that way, but it worked and she was able to cuddle with the bear to go to sleep instead of using the pacifier.  

• image Meggy T.:
    image BNHarris8:

*Not a STM but I will chime in anyways :)

I wouldn't worry about creating a problem, there are many creative ways to ditch the paci when they are a bit older and can understand. 

My ILs took my niece to build-a-bear and had her make a teddy bear with her last pacifier in it. She was 4 when they finally got her to give up the pacifier that way, but it worked and she was able to cuddle with the bear to go to sleep instead of using the pacifier.  

That is an excellent idea, I will have to remember that one. Hopefully none of us will have to deal with pacis when our LOs are 4, though!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers